Whatever you want (Status Quo) tune down

• For this song you need to tune down the E-string two steps to a D. But that makes the sound of the tone very wobbling and unbalanced. I use a Les Paul and I guess with a Telecaster it would sound better. I assume there's no way to use PS or HARM fx to just lower the E-string two steps down virtually to leave the tension of the string intact. Maybe an other solution from tweakers...?

• For this song you need to tune down the E-string two steps to a D. But that makes the sound of the tone very wobbling and unbalanced. I use a Les Paul and I guess with a Telecaster it would sound better. I assume there's no way to use PS or HARM fx to just lower the E-string two steps down virtually to leave the tension of the string intact. Maybe an other solution from tweakers...?

Great tune and my band has played this live for a couple of years.
    I use a G&L Legacy (Strat) with 11's and it sounds (and feels) just fine with the E down to a D.
    I can see that it would not be as good with a Lester and thinner strings.

(Just for those who aren't familiar with the band, Rick Parfitt (the recently deceased;-( rhythm guitar player) used a Tele and 14 gauge strings!!!)

• (Just for those who aren't familiar with the band, Rick Parfitt (the recently deceased;-( rhythm guitar player) used a Tele and 14 gauge strings!!!)

Indeed great tune with a great intro! Did'nt know he used 14 gauge. He must have had very strong hands. So I have to go and searching for a tele...? Replacing just a 10 gauge E string (046) for a 14 gauge (E 059) is a big leap. Can a Les Paul handle that?

• Naw...my low E is only 50 and it's fine, but being a Strat, the string tension is higher than your LP with the same gauge.

Other option of course is not to tune down. You miss some of the subtleties in the intro but most people would probably not even notice (unless they're real Quo nuts!)

Parfitt was an ENORMOUS rhythm player and (in my opinion) one of the biggest reasons they sounded like they did.

• Parfitt was an ENORMOUS rhythm player and (in my opinion) one of the biggest reasons they sounded like they did.

Yes, one from the same caliber as Malcolm Young of AC/DC...
    But for now, what would you recommend for the best rig to use for this intro, if playing a Les Paul, It must be bright with some chorus.