Any recommendations for a general purpose set up?

• Hi,

I'm not a Kemper owner, (Maybe in the future when I've got paying gigs again and can justify it) but I'm now in a position where it looks like I'll be playing through one regularly because the house guitarist at one of my regular jams has one.

He has it set up with profiles from his Rivera, and unfortunately they really don't work for me. He seems to like a sound that is all top with no body, very dry, and the distortion is harsh and also it's a complete cliff edge from overdrive to clean. I'm used to backing off the volume on my guitar a little bit to clean things up when I'm singing, I tried that with this setup and it went from too dirty direct to "plink"!

It's not a bad sound per se, It seems to work for him, it's just wrong for me, and for several other jammers.

Now, he has indicated he'd be willing to add a setup for my use to his system, but I have to tell him what I need, and I don't really know where to start, and it's not really a situation where I can spend hours auditioning sounds, maybe half an hour if I turn up early to the jam one week.

So, given that I tend towards fairly high gain blues-rock (think Joe Bonamassa without the talent) does anybody hace suggestions for a basic workhorse setup. It would have to be factory or free profiles.

The usual clean/crunch/lead sort of thing, but responsive to tweaking with the guitar volume control . I don't tend to go to the metal end of things myself, but some of the jammers do, so if that sound could also be achieved that would be handy.. looking at the built in effects, perhaps with the Metal-DS?

Obviously I understand there are about a billion options with the Kemper, so this is not a question to which there is a definitive answer, but I could really use a starting point at least, and just looking at the list of factory Amp profiles, I can't see the wood for the trees.

• Jon, see if you can get him to hook a laptop running Rig Manager up to his Kemper for your auditioning session.

Then you'll be able to use the search functionality to home in on the amp/s you're interested in, which should be a huge time saver.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, mate. 8o

• Jon, I agree with Nicky, it will be difficult without auditioning some amps as the impact of cabs, guitars etc all play a part, so any advice we give will be difficult.

If you can't get access to his but can access someone elses, then obviously you can port these across onto his Kemper. If you are in the UK and near me, I would help :)

Otherwise just scroll through what is on his Kemper and look for something like a JCM800, there are a few out there.