Can someone confirm that this sounds normal?

• For both @ashtweth and @Fireloogie, I totally agree with @Ibot39, I've definitely heard this kinda noise with tube amps. I reckon it depends on a wide range of factors which can emphazise this: poor power conditioning being the first one, but also amount of gain, some pedals in the signal chain (I know it's not the case), poor shielding in the guitars, etc...

Sometimes other gear's EM fields might also affect drastically the sound you're getting from your speakers. I've got the feeling that if, for example, (keeping all the cabling and other equipment he might have just the same) Ash swapped his units he might be getting the weird noises in the other unit.

I think it might be a similar problem as the one in the thread @808illest found.

Maybe you have tinnitus haha, just kiddding ash! That is really strange, I wish I could offer some support other than moral support that this get resolves swiftly so you can enjoy the only buzzes that matter, for you both!

Edit: I just noticed this post but..

Help - Crackling

If Ash could try swappin' his KPAs we might discover something interesting! Or maybe not, hehe

BTW I heard the clips from the OP thru some crappy earbuds, I might have missed something... :D

Cheers.

• thanks guys so strange I had a long 4 hour jam last night and guess what no noise on both kempers so maybe I need a priest to get rid of this sound ^^

ah man it's prob all those factors I feel sorry for the op , @Fireloogie pm me brother to cheer you up I'll shout you a rig pack on me

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I've definitely heard this kinda noise with tube amps. I reckon it depends on a wide range of factors which can emphazise this: poor power conditioning being the first one, but also amount of gain, some pedals in the signal chain (I know it's not the case), poor shielding in the guitars, etc...

Thx for chiming in. The way you describe this, it seems to be something negative. Which I believe is true. But it definitely should not be on EVERY profile then, should it? So, don't know. Here's the prob: I've been reading guitar magazines for 15 years now and almost everytime they are testing a (good) tube amp it goes something like: "It rings out clean and beautifully just like a good tube amp does." You hear this on many many YouTube videos as well. If I bought a tube amp that has that behaviour I would return it. It affects my playing in a negative way. Overall, to me this does not sound natural - it sounds like digital artefacts. Also - for instance - with the profiles I bought from Big Hairy (which get a lot of love here, so I'm not bashing in any way) I cannot achieve sounds even close to his videos. The response simply is not there. And if one searches the forum - I am not the only one. Still I think my KPA is not working properly since all the rave about the KPA can not come from what I am experiencing. Two more things: 1. I feel the quality hidden behind this issue, which is why I stick with the KPA for now. 2. I think the issue is not the same every day. That being said, I might be wrong here. Maybe I started focussing on the noise more and more over the time.

Here is what I will do:

• I am going to order an AMT preamp.
    • I will record it without the KPA. I expect the issues not to be there (otherwise return it for a better testing object).
    • Next I will profile the AMT.

> If the issue appears on that profile it is assured that the KPA adds the noise and makes the decay crumbly.
    > If the issue does not appear on that profile I have bought shitty profiles all over the place. (Which I doubt of course.)

Then there are two possibilities:

• I am one of the few that find this annyoing - I have to sell the KPA (which I hope will not happen.)
    • My Profiler is defective - I will reopen my ticket.

Again, please notice: I am not bashing the KPA or K-Team in any way. Still it is possible that I am doing something wrong as many others do not experience this issue. I am simply trying to narrow down the cause of those issues on my specific KPA.

Thanks for all the help so far. Best community ever.

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

Edited 3 times, last by Fireloogie ().

• thanks guys so strange I had a long 4 hour jam last night and guess what no noise on both kempers so maybe I need a priest to get rid of this sound

Some great news here! Let's hope it's solved for you!!

I feel sorry for the op , @Fireloogie pm me brother to cheer you up I'll shout you a rig pack on me

This is very kind Ash. I will follow your call :thumbup:

Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• I am going to order an AMT Preamp.

Hmmm... That's a bit of a crap shoot, isn't it? What if it is indeed "normal" tube behaviour, but not all amps exhibit it to an appreciable degree - or if it is dependent on the specific settings etc?
    Then you can only make your conclusion for one specific amp.
    I don't know what the AMT preamp is, but from the name it sounds like it doesn't have power tubes. What if the issue is related to those?

I'd suggest you start by going to a store and playing a number of real amps to see if you can recreate the issue on those instead.

• I'd suggest you start by going to a store and playing a number of real amps to see if you can recreate the issue on those instead.

I will do this in addition. The AMT preamps are stomps like the Tech 21 Charakter series. All I want to find out by doing this is if the KPA adds the issues to a sound that does not have it on its own.

What if it is indeed "normal" tube behaviour, but not all amps exhibit it to an appreciable degree - or if it is dependent on the specific settings etc?

Again - then it shouldn't be on every profile, should it? Still I find it hard to believe that ANY tube amp has this effect to it and trust me I have tried many many many profiles.

Man, I wish it turned out that I am simply missing something... :huh:

• But it definitely should not be on EVERY profile then, should it?

Yes, since the problem might be caused by (for example) the proximity between your KPA and some other equipment, as a Laptop, a a desktop PC, a LED or TFT screen, etc... The problem isn't necessarily in the profiles (even when some of them seem to bring out the issue more prominently). Have you tried moving your equipment around? I mean, separate the possible culprits? I'd even try setting up the kpa in a different room or even in a different building, it might well be just electrical noise which amongs others can be caused by induction, conduction...

Cheers.

• Have you tried moving your equipment around? I mean, separate the possible culprits? I'd even try setting up the kpa in a different room or even in a different building, it might well be just electrical noise which amongs others can be caused by induction, conduction...

Hi.

I have two completely separate setups with different speakers, cabels and even soundcards. One setup does not need a computer, but it can - hence the second soundcard. They are in different rooms. Though my recording place may not be high end, it is still all valid and up to date gear. I also tried the KPA in a friend's homestudio.

Believe me, I'd be lucky if I found it was something outside the KPA.

• If it was external interference you should be able to hear something with the guitar volume turned all the way down

Not necessarily, I reckon. Some pickups can be noisy AF in some environments.

Hi.
    I have two completely separate setups with different speakers, cabels and even soundcards. One setup does not need a computer, but it can - hence the second soundcard. They are in different rooms. Though my recording place may not be high end, it is still all valid and up to date gear. I also tried the KPA in a friend's homestudio.

Believe me, I'd be lucky if I found it was something outside the KPA.

And you get exactly the same noises everywhere?

• Before moving into a new house, my guitars picked up a lot of strange "noises" and I was not able to address them all. Some noises only at certain times (hobby radio operator?), some always. Once I changed a single light bulb, it helped a lot :thumbup:

I also have a Furman power conditioner now- but I don't want to promote anything.

How "pure" does your setup in your room(s) sound, if you grab a single coil guitar and activate a very high gain profile without noise gate? Now you can actually hear what is going on in your room - just listen to all the noises around!

Even humidity does affect these issues - for example static discharges.

• Exactly!

• It can be related to this because I have similar problems if I user certain appliances in my "Guitar equipment room" like a portable heater etc. I'm considering getting a power conditioner. But in this case for our friend Fireloogie he might want to take the Kemper to a different house and see if the noise disappears then possibly a power conditioner would help.

Definitely with Dean here, take your KPA somewhere else to recreate it.if you can? Also, power conditioners are a must in my mind, it'll protest you from spikes, surges etc... which happen daily and over time with do damage to equipment, especially RAM in your puter! It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest furman either, just one that does it's job. Hope you make some positive steps to a solution ;)

• You guys are gonna laugh at me, but when i played my guitar in my Boxer shorts and a little distance i get no issue, so i think its a grounding /distance issue for me. It hard trying to answer the door in your boxers man :D

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited once, last by ashtweth ().

• Laptop, a a desktop PC, a LED or TFT screen, etc... T

Once I changed a single light bulb, it helped a lot

Boxer shorts and a little distance i get no issue

and the metal buttons of your fly

Definitely with Dean here, take your KPA somewhere else to recreate it.if you can

This is some good advice, much appreciated my friends. I will take the KPA to another place, see what I got and post results. If a power conditioner was the solution I'd be the happiest kid in my street.

Have a fine day all.