Automated midi switching for live use

• UPDATE!!!!!

I FIGURED IT OUT!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is so much fun :D

• Can be done. Just have your Kemper and AX8 receiving midi on two separate channels. Send your messages on Channel 1 and his on Channel2, for example.

• I JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!!

This is so cool. First try!!!!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

:thumbup:

Next step is to hook my friends Ax8 and see if that works too.

• External Content www.youtube.com

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• @ashtweth

Hehe check my above post, I figured it out ;)

• External Content youtu.be

For those dont know.

• Hi guys,

I'm new to KPA, got mine few weeks ago and currently I was looking for a solution to automatically switch between rigs during song.

Our drummer is using Roland SPD::ONE WAV PAD where he has click tracks with backings (samples, bass drops) in .wav format (each song in our playlist has it's own .wav file). I found out on Roland website that this pad can be used also as a MIDI controller using it's USB port.

My goal is that as drummer hits the pad at the beginning of each songs the signal goes to my KPA and rigs will be switched automatically.

I went through a couple of tutorial on youtube about setting the midi track with triggers for KPA rigs in DAW and I get some idea how it's done.

But my question is:
    1. Do I need DAW every time I want to be able to automatically switch between rigs (can it be used only for the creation of track with midi triggers)?
    2. Can the midi track with "triggers" for KPA be added to our backing .wav in DAW and then played from the pad (which will be hooked up with KPA using USB to Midi cable)?

Hope it's somehow related to this thread, I didn't wanted to spam forum with another thread.

Thank you in advance for any response.

• Hey, the SPD can be used as a midi controller. You just need to programme it so that it sends the desired programme number when striking the pad.

You don't need a DAW to do this. You can have your drummer hit a pad everytime to change a rig.

However, keep in mind that unless you get some kind of midi merge device to attach your own foot controller, you will be unable to change anything on your own without using your hands on the Kemper.

I didn't understand your second question. You could always use a DAW to transmit a midi stream to the Kemper, changing it whenever a message is transmitted.

• Hi nightlight,

thank you for reply.

I forgot to mention I have Kemper remote but I discovered the option to have switching between rigs done automatically which I would welcome during live sets as it will just make my life easier.

I saw that usually drummers use laptop to run click track/samples from DAW (where you can set a midi track that will do the rigs switching). Unfortunately we have a different solution with SPD pad.

So my goal (which I'm not sure is achievable) is:
    Drummer strikes pad to start song (backing samples goes out through PA + clicktrack into his ears) and it also triggeres midi stream running to my Kemper which will automatically switch between the rigs during the song without any other user interaction.

Maybe it's stupid question or goal but I wanted find out the possibilities.

Thank you!

• No worries. I don't think the SPD will work as a sequencer. You will have to use a laptop or some kind of sequencer in order to supply a continuous stream of information to the Kemper. The SPD only works as one hit, one message sent.

• No worries. I don't think the SPD will work as a sequencer. You will have to use a laptop or some kind of sequencer in order to supply a continuous stream of information to the Kemper. The SPD only works as one hit, one message sent.

Thank you for explanation!