Recording Tips?

• So i've finally been getting along with using a real guitar cab vs an FRFR so i'm pretty satisfied in terms of live application but i'm not getting along with my direct tones now.
    I know the studio monitor makes a big difference so is there an ideal monitor that is best for kemper users? I'm using Samson Resolv RXA5's. They have a ribbon tweeter. Listening to music though them is great but all my profiles that i've tweaked for my cab are pretty bad through the monitors. Now, If I tweak the profile for the monitor i'm using is that actually the tone being recorded or just what sounds good through the monitor I won and then when I go to listen on other devices it will be totally different?

Seems like most of the YouTube videos out there of people getting great tone with the kemoper was recorded direct. I'm lost as to how they got such killer tone. Maybe post production?

Any tips?

• Listening to music though them is great but all my profiles that i've tweaked for my cab are pretty bad through the monitors.

that's hardly surprising.
    Since most Profiles are made by listening to the amp/Profiler through studio monitors, I'd recommend to simply use 'un-tweaked' Profiles.
    If you used the Monitor EQ to adjsut the sound of your Profiles for your cab, than this will have no effect on the Main Outs anyway.

As far as studio monitors go, I've listened to and played the Profiler over many different studio setups and the simple truth is - the better the monitoring setup, the better the Profiler sounds.

• Your problem is likely to be volume.

If you are tweaking your profiles so they sound great at gig volumes through FRFR, this alters the way that you hear.

If you then save these tones that sound killer at gig levels and pop them through a pair of regular speakers then they will certainly sound different and probably not in a good way.

Being lazy, I tend to leave my profiles alone - I tend to record without reverb and will add that at the DAW end. They will typically get a bit of EQ, but this is not to fundamentally change the tone..... it's just to make it fit into the mix with the other instruments to ensure things are not fighting with each other.

• I agree with that. But you can always reamp too. ;)

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• What interface are you using? Do you run SPIDF? Got any outboard preamps, those will help!

I'm using a Scarlett 18i8. I'm getting good results swapping cabs around. So far, a Morgan ac20 profile from the rig exchange you recommended actually sounds good with all my performance patches. I'm considering checking out the Ownhammer stuff. This is strictly for FOH and recording now because I'm a happy Guitar cab user now :)

• any decent audio interface will do, really.
    Analog or SP/DIF doesn't matter, and no external preamps are necessary to get pro tone from the Profiler.

I kinda doubt that third party IRs will help you much. I've been using and making IRs ever since Sonic Foundry's Acoustic Mirror DX plugin came out. Most IRs are made with a somewhat abstract method, every mic in four positions and multiple distances, whereas the cabinet portion of a Profile is made 'in context' to the tone that's being captured.

This way the Profiling process very elegantly surpassed the IR rabbit hole (as in: "let me audition 250 IRs and pick my favorites, maybe I'll blend a few of them...")

This is a much overlooked quality of the Profiler's cabs IMHO.

• I discovered this guy this past Xmas and learned some cool tips! He's also on the Tube :thumbup:

https://www.recordingrevolution.com/free-guides/

Also, Andy from PGS gave a run down of his setup which I found helpful (not Kemper but still informative).

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• the better the monitoring setup, the better the Profiler sounds.

That's what I found as well. Not long ago, I upgraded from Behringer Truth B2030A monitors to KS Digital C55s, which are incredible. The Kemper sounds better than ever.

As for recording tips, I prefer going through the Presonus preamps in my interface, rather than direct via S/PDIF. The preamps colour the sound in a pleasant way.

• So i've finally been getting along with using a real guitar cab vs an FRFR so i'm pretty satisfied in terms of live application but i'm not getting along with my direct tones now.
    I know the studio monitor makes a big difference so is there an ideal monitor that is best for kemper users? I'm using Samson Resolv RXA5's. They have a ribbon tweeter. Listening to music though them is great but all my profiles that i've tweaked for my cab are pretty bad through the monitors. Now, If I tweak the profile for the monitor i'm using is that actually the tone being recorded or just what sounds good through the monitor I won and then when I go to listen on other devices it will be totally different?

Seems like most of the YouTube videos out there of people getting great tone with the kemoper was recorded direct. I'm lost as to how they got such killer tone. Maybe post production?

Any tips?

If you like, use the soundcloud link under my signature. Hear some tunes. Are these recorded sounds you looking for? If yes, simple as that: I use my tweaked profiles from kpa main out to my Steinberg ur242 interface right into the daw on my laptop. I use cubase. One big thing is the headroom. My mainout volume to the daw is -18,5 dB. So the range is top. I am with Don. It dosen‘t matter when you don’t have spdif. For me it‘s obvious that rigs setted up for a real cab are not the choice to record with. Try some cool ones from rm. If you are a hard rock fan use the kpa pack from Lars Lüttge or the new kapa pack from Guido Bungenstock.

Cheers
    Frank