crazy fancy new gear i just found

• Strandbergs are phenomenal instruments, the neck in particular is very interesting, but I suggest you try before you buy. Some people (like me) love them, others hate them.

I had posted a picture of my Strandberg in the guitar thread. It's an 8-string Sweden custom shop guitar. Seminal craftsmanship.

Keep in mind that there was a point when they were making Strandbergs at Strictly 7 guitars in the US and later Washburn. Then they stopped making those altogether.

Now, they also have models made in South Korea and Indonesia. I'm not sure how good those ones are, and they are pretty pricey to an extent that I am not really too convinced that those instruments merit such a high price tag.

Aristides are also supposed to be great instruments. Really expensive though, and I have never played one... Try before you buy!

• The Strandbergs are apparently awesome. Someone posted pics of theirs a while back in the latest guitar thread. Chase Bliss make wicked pedals but I don't think you need it with the KPA since, especially we already have so many delay options within. :thumbup:

Yes that was exactly what i thought, kemper delays are very good and i got no need for another delay pedal for sure

Thanks for you comment i really appreciate that

i would definatly try it before buy but was not my intention to acquire that guitar, was just to know more about that strange frets that it has... seems futuristic and pretty odd

Regarding to the indonesian or korean manufactures i recently checked an Ibanez Egen8 here and i became very impressive with the quality of the building, i know is not the best wood and pickups and bridge but was very well finished, very confortable to play, the entry price is not super expensive however despite the good looking you can find better guitars for the same price range...

• i would definatly try it before buy but was not my intention to acquire that guitar, was just to know more about that strange frets that it has... seems futuristic and pretty odd

Regarding to the indonesian or korean manufactures i recently checked an Ibanez Egen8 here and i became very impressive with the quality of the building, i know is not the best wood and pickups and bridge but was very well finished, very confortable to play, the entry price is not super expensive however despite the good looking you can find better guitars for the same price range...

It's called true temperament frets. The idea is that the microtuned frets allow for better intonation and note definition. They're surprising easy to play, not much difference from a regular fretboard when you try one.

Hoo hoo, the Herman Li guitar. Yes, countries like South Korea and Indonesia now make amazing, affordably priced instruments! I am always surprised by how good they feel and the quality of the workmanship.

What I meant is, don't be deceived by brand names. I find sometimes that very expensive instruments don't justify the price tag. Heck, they seldom do. For example, I've heard so much about expensive Gibsons that just let their buyers down due to buzzy G strings and poor playability.

• I've mentioned his before, AJ - my best, oldest friend started a business making TT-fretted guitars and basses. It cost him a helluva-lot of dough to buy the fret-shaping machine/s and hire a Chinese dude, who thought in ones and zeros, as a programmer.

His business partner lost the plot and made off with around 30 guitars which he still hasn't been able to retrieve, and that broke the bank. That was about 2 years ago. He always said that it was the future of guitars, and so I used to laugh when I saw Mattias IA Eklundh constantly retuning his Caparisons when doing clinics, 'cause IMHO the amount they drifted from perfect tuning was much more than a straight-fretted guitar that's in-tune would suffer from a lack of equal temperament.

My buddy's a master German craftsman when it comes to using his hands, with a background in plastics and plastic welding and with a huge love of working with wood (his brother restores vintage cars and his dad builds jets), so his guitars would have in fact been superior to practically anything out there (I'd stake my life on that). His first guitar was a fully-hand-made number he made for me 25 years ago (hand-shaped fretboard and everything - no machines used at all), and it was impeccable apart from my bad choice of PU's for the woods. Always regretted parting with it.

The point is that IMHO it's very-near to being a gimmick, this equal-temperament-tuning thing, 'cause real-world variations caused by string stretching (hey, we gots ta bend!), temperature changes (like live under lights) and other physical limitations of the hardware components translate to unavoidable destabilisation of tuning and therefore necessitate that we keep tweaking it whether we like it or not.

On the Indonesia thing, I've heard that the Music Man Sub basses that come out of there are for all intents and purposes not-very-different-sounding (or playing) from the full-monte models from the EB factory in the US, but at a fraction of the RRP. Best damned bass value out there IMHO, so I agree with you that one shouldn't be a snob if value is what one seeks.

• I have the exact opposite experience with Indonesian and Korean guitars. Every single Ibanez Premium I’ve ever tried has had some shoddy craftsmanship showing in the finish, wood joins or similar. My South Korean Legator also has a couple of aesthetic flaws due to shoddy work. I really think it depends on the QC of the parent company. I couldn’t imagine PRS letting some of the flaws I’ve seen out to retail, though I’ve never tried an SE.

• On the Indonesia thing, I've heard that the Music Man Sub basses that come out of there are for all intents and purposes not-very-different-sounding (or playing) from the full-monte models from the EB factory in the US, but at a fraction of the RRP. Best damned bass value out there IMHO, so I agree with you that one shouldn't be a snob if value is what one seeks.

Can confirm, the Indonesian model Sterling by Music Man SUB Stingray is incredible for the price point, I have one, a guy I jam with has one. Their cheap pre-amp for some reason has a ton of character, while not sounding exactly like an EBMM Stingray, it's got a great growl.

The newer SUB, now made in China, is supposed to be good too, though I have no personal experience with that.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• Yeah, I think EB may be a rare exception to the rule when it comes to QC out of that neck of the woods.

So great that you guys like your Subs, man. Awesome! I've recommended them to many peeps Down Under with zero complaints.

I have the exact opposite experience with Indonesian and Korean guitars. Every single Ibanez Premium I’ve ever tried has had some shoddy craftsmanship showing in the finish, wood joins or similar. My South Korean Legator also has a couple of aesthetic flaws due to shoddy work. I really think it depends on the QC of the parent company. I couldn’t imagine PRS letting some of the flaws I’ve seen out to retail, though I’ve never tried an SE.

As I said to JSB, it's looking like EB may be an exception, Sammy.

Can confirm the South-Korean thing. I went through at least half a dozen JTV Variaxes before deciding to go back to the first one I bought 'cause at least I knew what its more-than-a-dozen(!) flaws were. Took quite a while, but I managed to fix most of them myself and ended up with a half-decent guitar.

To give you an idea of how bad the QC on those things was, one of them's machine heads were so far out of alignment you couldn't miss it from the other side of a room. You couldn't even fit one of those hand-windy-tuner thingies onto some of the pegs 'cause they were so close to their neighbours! Incredible. The L6 wholesaler said it'd never seen anything like it and was embarrassed that it was somehow missed by QC and subsequently by them.

Now, if South Korea, with all its technological know-how, could churn something like this out, I dread to think what Indonesia might be capable of, and therefore applaud, once again, EB for what it's achieved with its entire Sterling line there.

• Just did a search for Sire Marcus Miller, wow! Those do look like quality instruments. Do you own one, Lightbox?

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• It's called true temperament frets. The idea is that the microtuned frets allow for better intonation and note definition. They're surprising easy to play, not much difference from a regular fretboard when you try one.

Hoo hoo, the Herman Li guitar. Yes, countries like South Korea and Indonesia now make amazing, affordably priced instruments! I am always surprised by how good they feel and the quality of the workmanship.

What I meant is, don't be deceived by brand names. I find sometimes that very expensive instruments don't justify the price tag. Heck, they seldom do. For example, I've heard so much about expensive Gibsons that just let their buyers down due to buzzy G strings and poor playability.

Thanks for the information regarding the frets, i am really curious about that and will check this on youtube and internet as soon as i got some time

The Herman Li guitar called my attention not only because is really well finished (price is not a bargain 850 USD) but also it has the same body as the Ibanez Frank Gambale that i have a hand made one since almost 30 years now...

it is a very skiny body and really confortable to play in a stand position

I have the exact opposite experience with Indonesian and Korean guitars. Every single Ibanez Premium I’ve ever tried has had some shoddy craftsmanship showing in the finish, wood joins or similar. My South Korean Legator also has a couple of aesthetic flaws due to shoddy work. I really think it depends on the QC of the parent company. I couldn’t imagine PRS letting some of the flaws I’ve seen out to retail, though I’ve never tried an SE.

yes maybe this particular model that i tried on that store was a special building and they put more effort on that Egen 8 than the other models you just mentioned

Talking about basses and Indonesia … have a look at the incredible Sire Marcus Miller basses. Plenty of boom for the buck. ;)

cool tip

here at Brazil we have the Tagima factory that is manufacturing very good instruments and we have for around 30 years other brands such as condor, eagle, golden, some of this brands are produced here and at Korea and they are not bad for the cheap price... nothing compared to Sire Marcus Miller basses that like the Engen8 is only cheap compared with high priced products... here a cheap strat guitar may cost 100 usd...

there is also a custom pickups store here called Malagoli

BTW this one is expensive and seems to have very special pickups, the finishing is similar to the Egen8 but cannot be imported here due to the price (limit to mail importing here is 3000 usd)

http://www.charvel.com/guitars…aple-fingerboard-natural/

although here i could found many old japanese Charvel models for a bargain price... and some other newer Charvels for a regular price that is not even close to the Guthrie one

• BTW this one is expensive and seems to have very special pickups, the finishing is similar to the Egen8 but cannot be imported here due to the price (limit to mail importing here is 3000 usd)

I have the first run version of that exact guitar (without the single coil emulator switch). The pickups are indeed quite special and unique. Also, the tone control is the most versatile and usable I’ve ever experienced. Not to mention that it plays like butter...