A/B Compare with different guitars?

• Hi guys,

I'm not _yet_ a Kemper Amp owner, but I will be with not doubt. It's the very next thing on my wish list.
    But until then, I spend a lot of time on the internet to watch all videos, to listen some demos, etc...

I wish I could find some HD videos or audio of A/B files between the real amps and the kemper profiles... but I was also wondering, how close a Kermper profile could be from a real amp with a different guitar?

Apparently (correct me if I'm wrong), the refine process depends of the guitar? So, how close is the kemper amp with different guitars on the same Profile?

I'm quite sure a lot of (potential) future owners would love to be able to download some 24bits/44.1kHz A/B files to listen and compare them :)

Any thoughts?

Phil

• That's an interesting question. Has anyone done comparisons of profiles using humbuckers vs single coils of the same amp? Further, does a profiled sound done with a single coil sound best when later used with a single coil? Etc. Hmmm.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• hi.

here's a link to the fantastic review done by the Anderton's guys.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?f…er_embedded&v=mAuY9OyMsdg

in the details about the video you'll find flac audio files.

although I can understand your desire to research the Profiler as throroughly as possible, no video or sample will give you the experience of playing one. The feel and dynamics can only be judged fully when you plug into one and hear your fingers and guitar come through as they should (and instantly lose a couple of hours...). ;)

About your other question, I can tell you that I have quite a range of instruments here, ranging from very low output lipstick single coils, the usual SD offerings, P90s, Alumitones etc. all the way to a Bill Lawrence L500XL and EMG81s.
    The very dynamic nature of the profiles makes the Profiler react to different kinds of pickups/guitars as a tube amp would.
    Keep in mind that the main profiling part is done with test signals hard wired into the Profiler.

regards
    Don

• Hi Don,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I really appreciate some feedbacks like yours.
    I know the Andertons video and already watched it... twice :)

What I was indeed trying to know, as Zappledan clearly explains, is to know if the profile will respect the different pickups and if the profile will be close enough with another guitar.

From what I heard so far, the Kemper Amp looks to be very very close to the original amp, probably close enough for me to use it in a mix, even for a major project. I was just hoping the profile is made in a way there's no need to redo a "refinning" for each guitar. Apparently not, and that's a great news.

I hope to get my hands on a unit as soon as possible and test it in real situation in the studios, even if I'm already convinced I want one :)

Phil

• I normally tweak profiles using a Strat, and they do sound great with a LP or a 335 without further tweaking. Just good amp tone.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• hi spid,

i cannot say much about the refining, but i have made a real interesting blindfold test here .

yesterday i visited my best friend (a bass player) and let him blindfold-test me with my own recordings.
    result: 4 weeks after the original session, memyselfandi was not able find out that number x was the real marshall!!!
    so much about the quality of the profiling! i guess it is near 97 % if the profiling is done well.

i love my KPA! :thumbup:

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• I find that the type of guitar used in the refining process matters less than the type of guitar you use to play the profile afterwards. Two of my guitars are a PRS 513 (dark and woody) and a Fender Clapton w/Dimarzio's (VERY bright and spanky). I need to drastically alter the EQ when I use one or the other, just like if doing the same thing through a real amp. However, using one or the other during refining didn't seem to make a big difference. I have a theory about this which has to do with the KPA during profile looking at the relative change between dry input signal versus what comes out of the amp. So you get a kind of "subtraction" in the differences between guitars since the relative input to output is the most important, not the exact type of guitar. But I could be completely wrong.

• The guitar does not matter for the refining process. The Profiler mainly reads the dynamics of an amp, when played by the guitar. Every guitar delivers enough dynamics to satisfy this aspect.

In the end the type of guitar or pickup does not have an impact in the profiling result.
    If the result is good, the A/B test will pass with any guitar.
    If the result was not good, the flaws will be obvious with every guitar.

But as was mentioned, not every profile will fit nicely to any guitar or pickup, as in the real world.

CK

• That was my understanding. Thanks for clarifying it though, C.