IR's versus loading your own -what's new here?

• I've been gone a while and am likely getting a stage unit. When I used Kemper a few years ago all the IR's were 'baked in' as I recall. Am I correct in understanding you can load your own now if you want?

• Yes you can use other IR's BUT for me its a useless rabbit hole. The KPA as you know profiles the whole signal chain including the cab. Therefore I look for a profile with the whole sound I want, else I move on.

Now with the Kone tech and Imprints, you can mimic different speakers. IR;s is just another change to tone and for me, I already have enough options.

• Yes you can use other IR's BUT for me its a useless rabbit hole. The KPA as you know profiles the whole signal chain including the cab. Therefore I look for a profile with the whole sound I want, else I move on.

Now with the Kone tech and Imprints, you can mimic different speakers. IR;s is just another change to tone and for me, I already have enough options.

While I understand your reasoning....believe me when I say "You're missing it...."

HAYS 1967 Fender Champ from RM into a 1960A Marshall cab = glorious. To date, I've not found a clean sound I prefer over it. :)

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• While I understand your reasoning....believe me when I say "You're missing it...."

HAYS 1967 Fender Champ from RM into a 1960A Marshall cab = glorious. To date, I've not found a clean sound I prefer over it. :)

May I ask which exactly Marshall cab you are using?

• While I understand your reasoning....believe me when I say "You're missing it...."

Dude I have tried IR's and in fact I use that cab myself :).

My point was only that although a played around with them, I didn't find they sounded better, just different. Having so many choices already, I got sound "blind" :)

• Dude I have tried IR's and in fact I use that cab myself :).

My point was only that although a played around with them, I didn't find they sounded better, just different. Having so many choices already, I got sound "blind" :)

I know exactly what you mean. I've never understood getting a pack of IRs with tens (or even hundreds) of the same cabinet and mic(s).

Loading 50+ IRs and trying to sort them out sucks. It's not like wine or food tasting where you can 'cleanse' your pallette. Your ear fatigues and once it does.......everything sounds the same......like mush.

I stumbled across this combo when the stock rig *hated* pedals and didn't respond musically to the amp being pushed. It's an 8" speaker and a tiny little amp. I get it. But.....so many greats used that little amp. I thought "Why not?" I called up the 412, strummed a chord and...."Well whaddya know?"

It's still finicky if you try to use it as a pedal-platform. But with a KPA.......why do that? That's what the other bajillion amps available are for!

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Edited once, last by Ruefus ().

• I have used IR's with Fractal since early 2012. Recordings can sound amazing but live **In a pa or even top shelf FRFR's like I own, they always sound pa -ish and not 'big and punchy' like a cab. Stereo Frfr's your getting close but still not cab punch

• Disclaimer: I mostly play heavier music, but love a good clean british style amp too.

For recording, I have done a ton of experimentation with IRs vs Kemper cabs. Back when I had a Helix, I bought a bunch of pro IRs because helix built in cabs are kind of terrible. After trying out several brands - Ownhammer, 3sigma, Celestion, etc., I became an Ownhammer Fanboi. They all sounded amazing, not only on my Helix, but also in the Neural DSP plugins I was using for recording. For the month or so I owned a Fractal FM3 (good riddance), they were also the best sounding IRs to my ears.

With Kemper, it's a whole different story for me. Loading up Ownhammer IRs on my favorite Kemper merged profiles made them sound dark and muddled. I could dial the high end back end, but they just didn't sound as lifelike as cabs from Kemper profiles. I also found that the same 3Sigma cabs that sounded weak on my Helix sounded pretty good on the Kemper. So now I have a preset folder with my favorite Kemper cabs from various different profiles, and I just drag and drop those.

Also of note, make sure to mess with True Cab and Character settings. Those can really make IRs sound better.