Clicks and crackle when switching rigs

• Hi gang,

I already reported this problem to Support somewhile ago and Burkhard confirmed the problem.

When switching between rigs (via Midi or via Browse knob) I get some high pitched clicks and crackle for the first split second or so. With or with reverb / delay. Most prominent when switching between highgain rigs or clean rigs to highgain rigs.

Forumite Per wrote that he had that problem with FW1.04?

Init of the system did not solve the problem although I think it is less pronounced with FW1.09.

Dote

Edited once, last by Dote ().

• CK said they were aware of it, but it might take time to get it fix because of the upcoming summer vacation.

Only in Europe :) ! where vacations are the most important thing in life!

I should know..was born there.. :)

Can't imagine an American or Asian company doing that!

• Only in Europe :) ! where vacations are the most important thing in life!

I should know..was born there.. :)

Can't imagine an American or Asian company doing that!

The Canadian's are not much better.. 8o

• Only in Europe :) ! where vacations are the most important thing in life!

People works for something. In US is to pay out the house, in Germany is to Pay for the holiday 3 time a year. Motivation... :D

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Same here since the 1.09 fw but I've also got a delay in switching rigs via scroll for a few seconds after boot up completes. Far from a big deal for me but something new that I've noticed when immediately trying to switch and it does it pretty consistently.

"Tone is in the fingers" is not a necessary response to anything that I might type on any internet forum threads. Thank you.

• I just installed FW1.1.0V2:

Still get the clicks although they now are only noticeable at the instant of switching. I did a system reset but this did not help it.

So thanks to the Kemper team for the effort, but there is still a problem.

Here are some more things I checked:

Clicks when:

switching rigs via Midi (GCP)
    do get worse if one changes to the same rig already loaded (stepping onto the GCP switch for the rig multiple times)
    does not matter wether Reverb or Delay are on or off
    worse with rigs having a boost stomp acitvated
    you hear it on the headphones out or on the main out (headphones connected to the main out = mono signal)
    have not checked the SPDIF out

It is almost like with a not well designed guitar amp, where you get a click from a relay when switching rigs.

Maybe muting the signal during switching might help? I could live with a 10ms mute (modern highgain amps do this) if the clicks are removed by this.

Thanks again to CK and the team for the effort, you are getting close! :thumbup:

Dote

• I use an older ground control midi pedalboard and I cannot hear the issue, but it may depend on the profiles being switched and the I/O settings. Good luck, surely Kemper will fix it if they haven't already. I will check again tonight.

• Hi Djazz,

thanks for the reply.

I get it with e.g. switching between the Fischer Sold 100/3 rig and the AC Top Boost Link profiles (I think those are factory rigs).

Could you try the following:

use the headphone out into headphones

play a chord and let it ring

then switch between Fischer Sold 100/3 and AC Top Boost Link

see if you get crackles on the instant of switching

now press the programm button on your GCP where you have the Sold rig a couple of times when playing an open chord. I get some serious crackle then.

In a live situation, I would need to switch between a clean rig and a high-gain rig very fast and this crackle would be clearly audiable.

I will try to record my Kemper by the end of the week to give proof of the problem. Maybe it is just my unit, but then I would like to get it replaced ASAP.

Thanks for your help and time,

Dote

• Is there a difference in switching by midi and switching by hand?

Hi CK,

thanks for chiming in.

I get the clicks and crackles (Britzeln) at the instant of switching also when switching by hand (browse knob, load or autoload).

Greetings,

Dote