Tap Tempo button assigned as solo boost.

• Newbie with a Kemper Stage here. In the interests of making live performances butt-simple, I'd like to reassign my Tap Tempo button to be a solo boost... 3 db or so. I'd also like to lock it, so that no matter what performance I'm on , or what rig I've selected, that tap tempo button will always function as a preset volume boost. Can someone tell me how to do this, and explain it to me like I'm 6? Thanks!

• You have to have a Stomp slot populated with the boost you want. The tap button can't have its own stomp.

There are several ways to boost the signal, but the simplest and most easily repeated way in my mind would be the following:

Place a booster in Stomp D (or whatever slot you want). Lock it. Press the System button (to the left of the LCD) and use the <page> buttons (right of the LCD) to navigate to page 12.

The third soft button from the left above the screen should now be labelled "Button Assignment". Press it and the knob labels below will change.

Turn the Tap Button (third from the left) until it says "D on/off". The Tap button will now turn the booster you put in the D slot on or off. Press exit until you're back to the loaded rig or performance screen.

One thing to note - using the Tap Button requires you to press to turn on and press again for off. Or......

Assign the D slot to one of the 4 Stomp buttons (labelled I, (II, III, IIII) in the row above the Tap Button. Now, with the stomp off by default, you can press and hold. The stomp will turn on and then turn off when you lift your foot. One press.

HTH.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• As Ruefus said, there are several ways to do a boost depending on what else you have going on.

In addition to the method Ruefus outlined you might want to consider using the Morph function (if you aren’t already using it for something else). Or you could use the volume pedal. Settings from 0 to -5 determine how much the signal will be cut when moving to the heel position but settings from 0 to +5 turn it into a variable boost with the number dictating how much boost you achieve in full toe position.

• I use the tap button as a morph and morph volume and whatever else I want to add to a solo there.. That way cleans get boosted as much as I need as well as Leads (normally require different amounts but don't have to). I morph the front panel rig volume knob so I can look back and see how much is boosted from my normal 12:00 position or adjust it quickly (and then save at break). This way I don't take up a slot. Using this method I can step on a big boost, (maybe add a touch of gain then choose to add a phaser, and punch in and out a harmonizer then go all back to where I started by pressing the "preset" button again. Lots of spontaneous versatility, and the ability to snap everything right back the way it was with the touch of one button. Great for if you sing lead and can't be tap dancing while the verse starts. I use the volume in the amp section to level everything out and the rig volume to boost. I think this is what is suggested in the manual.

• In addition to the method Ruefus outlined you might want to consider using the Morph function (if you aren’t already using it for something else). Or you could use the volume pedal. Settings from 0 to -5 determine how much the signal will be cut when moving to the heel position but settings from 0 to +5 turn it into a variable boost with the number dictating how much boost you achieve in full toe position.

Many of us have voiced their opinions of doing this but I don't like the Idea of a "realtime" operator adjustable boost. Too much room for error. I can't accurately adjust how much boost is going to be in the FOH mix and my guess onstage likely would not be correct and cause the board engineer to react to something too loud or soft. I would rather have the boost set and maintained for each profile so when I kick in the boost, it's just right and approved by thumbs up from FOH. Plus if you have a lot of action onstage the volume pedal is a big target to accidentally create a volume jump or a stomping kick pedal to wiggle it down on a less than rock solid stage.

• I was reading a post (Best Way to Equalize Volume Between Rigs and Performances on Kemper Stage)

by Wheresthedug that was helping me answer some volume questions:

"Whereas, the Rig Volume version gets significantly louder as the volume boost happens at the end of the signal path.."

So rig volume is AFTER the Post stack FX correct?

"Not all FX are volume sensitive though. It is tempting to think that the Delay or Reverb would get overloaded by turning up the Amp volume but this doesn't happen. If you put the same Delay in both Rig versions you will notice that the delay repeats sound the same in both cases.

Cool! I didn't know this, I had always thought adjusting the volume in the Amp stack section would effect the Delay and reverb. That's great if it doesn't IMO.

• I believe that is correct. You can test it yourself by putting a compressor in a post Amp FX block. Raise amp volume with the compressor Off. Turn the Compressor On and observe the difference. Now do the same with either reverb or delay you shouldn’t get any difference. I believe the impact is FX type specific rather than position specific. i.e. it doesn’t matter what slot the Compressor or Delay are in the results should be the same. The alternative would be that the Fx type doesn’t matter but rather any FX in the Delay or Reverb slot wouldn’t be affected by changes in the amp volume for example a Compressor wouldn’t be affected by Amp volume changes if it was placed in the Reverb slot. I can’t remember if I tested that (I think I did but the old grey matter isn’t up to much these days ?). part of me wants to believe that it is the FX position rather than type which makes the difference as this would make sense with the ability to tap the signal after Mod or send separate Delay/Rev signal to its own output but The other version also makes intuitive sense to me so try a quick test and report back with your findings.

• I believe that is correct. You can test it yourself by putting a compressor in a post Amp FX block. Raise amp volume with the compressor Off. Turn the Compressor On and observe the difference. Now do the same with either reverb or delay you shouldn’t get any difference. I believe the impact is FX type specific rather than position specific. i.e. it doesn’t matter what slot the Compressor or Delay are in the results should be the same. The alternative would be that the Fx type doesn’t matter but rather any FX in the Delay or Reverb slot wouldn’t be affected by changes in the amp volume for example a Compressor wouldn’t be affected by Amp volume changes if it was placed in the Reverb slot. I can’t remember if I tested that (I think I did but the old grey matter isn’t up to much these days ?). part of me wants to believe that it is the FX position rather than type which makes the difference as this would make sense with the ability to tap the signal after Mod or send separate Delay/Rev signal to its own output but The other version also makes intuitive sense to me so try a quick test and report back with your findings.

I'm actually going to go with your findings and run with it. If a problem exists, it'll stick it's ugly head out!