Most efficient way of grabbing guitar DI and Amp at the same time for reamping later?

• I know this could be DAW specific, but figured I'd ask anyways to see what other people do. I'm using reaper currently, but I may be open to switching if there's a DAW that makes this easy on me.

--

Don't know if I'm just being stubborn here, but I feel like there could be a better way to do this, I've done quite a few google searches but either wasn't using the right terms, or nobody else considers this as much of a nuisance to creativity and workflow as I do.

Currently I usually just add an extra tack that I keep on mute for the DI, but I don't always remember to arm it, and it can get cluttered very fast if I want a bunch of different guitar tracks

I've also tried recording both the DI and Amp inputs on a single stereo track, but then I had to use a plugin to make sure I can only hear the live amp. But then when it comes time to reamp, I still end up with extra tracks.

A perfect solution to me would be when I arm the track, it records both the DI and amp inputs to one track, while only monitoring / playing back the amp. And then when I go to reamp I could reprint (over the existing amp sound) on the same track while leaving the DI in tact. i.e. no extra tracks.

If anyone knows any magic tricks in this regard, I'd love to hear them!

• Hi! In Reaper you can group Amp and DI tracks, when Amp track would be master, DI - slave, and when you arm Amp DI track would be armed automatically. Also in routing window I recommend to switch off master send, so you wouldn't hear DI signal in your mix.

And for more efficiency you can set and adjust all tracks and create template, so later you could just load this template and record.

• You can also create a project in Reaper in which you have all your main tracks laid out. Have the ones you want armed and those muted, then simply save it as a template -saves all your settings and routings. Then just load that template for the next project. Simple, hassle free workflow.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Hi! In Reaper you can group Amp and DI tracks, when Amp track would be master, DI - slave, and when you arm Amp DI track would be armed automatically. Also in routing window I recommend to switch off master send, so you wouldn't hear DI signal in your mix.

And for more efficiency you can set and adjust all tracks and create template, so later you could just load this template and record.

I ended up doing this, I think it's the best way, thanks!