Rig Being Profiled Changes Its Sound After The Profiling Process Making Comparison Impossible

• Non-issue. I made a mistake when making this observation

Edited once, last by stephen ().

• Got your (valid) point and worth some further investigation. I suggest you log the issue sending a mail to support.

...nevertheless I personally tweak so much my rigs that at the end they are anyway far (lot better, IMHO) from the original that i compare nothing anymore.

Interesting argument for a discussion here...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• The key is to not set up your sound throught the KPA... make the amp sound as you want...then loop the amp into the KPA and start profile..do not change any setting at this point even if it's a bit different... just try to make the profile and "original" the same..once saved it will be closer to what you had to start with

• Non-issue. Defective unit caused malfunctions.

• About changing character after profiling: you are saying that the reference amp monitored thru the KPA changes its sound?
    Please reassure us and yourself by reamping the sound before and after and compare the results.

• About changing character after profiling: you are saying that the reference amp monitored thru the KPA changes its sound?
    Please reassure us and yourself by reamping the sound before and after and compare the results.

Non-issue. Defective unit and user error was the cause of this erroneous observation.

• If you are in a different room that the amp (control room) - then sometimes the kemper will reduce the volume after profiling to match unity, thus offering the munson curve thinking its different but its not, just quieter.

OR

If you are in the same room as the amp, and its cranked, amp in the room resonates the guitar and makes it all sound better, - whilst profiling it wont do that. you need to bear that in mind also, a very common mistake people make.

As for the actual amp changing, naa I dont see that. - could be a faulty mic perhaps that cant tolerate the Db level your throwing at it, or are you running some sort of compression with a really long release rate? - and MAKE sure no effects are turned on the kemper.

• Mea culpa!

I was wrong. I took and early lunch and went home to test this - I couldn't stand not being sure of my comment. It turns out I was wrong.

I compensated for the difference in volume with a simple digital boost to eliminate the Fletcher-Munson effect when I originally noticed what I thought was happening - you can't compare sounds unless they are close to the same volume.

I think what happened was the mic moved. I was using a cheap stand and I think the boom slipped a little and the mic got closer to the speaker after the profile was taken and that was why there was an change in the frequency response and increased bass after I took the profile. That stand will no longer be used.

I went home and used an analog speaker simulator and repeated the process 4 times starting with 4 radically different rigs and the reference amp remained constant except for volume compensation.

I apologize for the mistake. I was tired, and I should have waited to repeat the test before I made the statement I made. Thanks for not coming down on me for that. I appreciate it. Other websites and moderators wouldn't have been so kind. I won't mention names.

I'm posting my Rockman and Mesa Boogie rigs. The Mesa Boogie was taken without a speaker. The only processing applied was a low pass filter (6th order Butterworth - analog). The sound is "bland" but if you put a cab you like on it you will find the result to be exactly like putting the real amp through the cab instead of an altered version of the amp (colored by the remnants of a previous speaker) through your cab. That's the advantage I find in profiling without using a speaker. You'll probably want to remove the post graphic EQ when you change the cab. The cab is labeled "Rand" but it's not, it's a flat response analog LPF.

Thanks.

I didn't notice who posted this. I hope you'll accept my apology, and thanks for giving me the opportunity to check my work before you told me I was wrong.

• I didn't notice who posted this. I hope you'll accept my apology, and thanks for giving me the opportunity to check my work before you told me I was wrong.

Well played all around! You're right, on some other forums you would have been ridiculed.....this forum seems to have a much more positive vibe than most others - very refreshing. :thumbup:

It likely has something to do with the fact that we've all (or most) been searching for a truly useful, accurate and realistic digital solution for so many years, that we're refreshed and just flat giddy with excitement to have gotten through the "bad old days" of digital modeling. :D

Edited once, last by Dlaut ().

• I didn't notice who posted this. I hope you'll accept my apology, and thanks for giving me the opportunity to check my work before you told me I was wrong.

As you can guess from the nickname that was Christoph Kemper himself

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• One word about the automatic leveling during the profiling process:

The reference amp volume is adjusted to the unity volume of the profiler. This guarantees a constant volume during a profiling session and prevents clipping on the return input. When you follow the manual and set the volume of the reference amp similar to the volume of the actual rig, then the automatic leveling will only apply small corrections. And you will not be surprized by a volume drop!

• The reference amp volume is adjusted to the unity volume of the profiler. This guarantees a constant volume during a profiling session and prevents clipping on the return input. When you follow the manual and set the volume of the reference amp similar to the volume of the actual rig, then the automatic leveling will only apply small corrections. And you will not be surprized by a volume drop!

I found this out when I profiled my reeves - should really have read the manual first!

And Christoph, you are a genious & a very gracious man!

Cheers