RM - "Tone" column

• Often when I search for profiles I'm looking for not just gain level, but also the tonal shape. Is this a treble, mids, or bass heavy profile?

It would be really useful to have a column that gave an at a a glance representation of tonal balance.

You could do it as a heat map so left to right being bass to treble then color or shade representing volume. Or it can even just be a single value just like gain (bass to treble balance). Heck it could even be a mini 3 or 5 column graph as a nod to the graphic eq's on certain amps. It doesn't really matter that much just so long as I could filter down to e.g. high gain but dark rigs, or clean and bright or anything in-between.

• Thats a great idea Per. ???

Something like Seymour Duncan use in their pickup descriptions wouldwork well with the current RM graphic format.

Just trying to think how that would be made to work.

Basing it on the KPA tone control settings wouldn’t work as these are basically adjustments to the underlying profile. So it would be possible to have a pretty dark profile which had a high treble value on the controls if the initial profile of the amp was supper dark.

Presumably this would require the KPA to analyse the tonal content of the rig. This information may already be available but not presented or it may need a new algorithm to extract the details. The latter would obviously be more programming work but either way I think it would be really useful information to have as a filter. ?

• Yeah I was thinking the profiler could do a very quick internal test signal on the rig when you go to upload it to figure this stuff out.

Like you said you can’t depend on the tone control settings in the amp block, the speaker could be bright or dark, the rig might have an eq of stomp with a tone control after the amp block etc. so to be useful you’d want it to be based on what you actually get.