Aux in low volume

• Hi,

I've read something similar from several years ago and I think it needs a solution.

The manual says that you can use return 1/2 on the Kemper Stage to feed an auxiliary signal into Main, Monitor and/or Headphones outputs using an "mp3 player".

Headphones volume around -33 dB gives me enough volumen to play with IEMs connected to the headphones output, but when connecting my iPhone/iPad to the aux in you just hear a tiny little signal, and obviously you can't play over it. At 0 dB it sounds like a regular volume, not even a little high.

I don't know if by "mp3 player" they're referring to a mixing desk that can drive the internal Kemper aux input amplifier, but obviously the devices that everyone could use to feed an "auxiliary input" will be smartphones or tablets mostly.

Is there any solution? I've even tried to bounce the mono file with the fader of the track and the output at +6dB and it just distorts the signal, and I don't think that the solution is messing around with every rig volume to adjust it just for playing occasionally with an auxiliary input.

X(;(

• The manual says that you can use return 1/2 on the Kemper Stage to feed an auxiliary signal into Main, Monitor and/or Headphones outputs using an "mp3 player".

This quote refers to that very same line of the manual.

Maybe I am missing something, or maybe it just works if you feed a much hotter signal than the one that comes out the iPhone/iPad output. In that case, it's almost useless...

• Did you try this?

In the Output Section, the Auxiliary Input function is equipped with three mix controls: one to feed the aux signal to the MAIN OUTPUT as well as S/PDIF OUTPUT, and two others to feed it to the MONITOR OUTPUT and HEADPHONE output.

• In my previous reply I quoted what I said, which is what you're quoting from the manual 😅

The manual says that you can use return 1/2 on the Kemper Stage to feed an auxiliary signal into Main, ----> Monitor and/or Headphones outputs <----- using an "mp3 player".

My solution was to bring my audio interface to the rehearsal, which wasn't a big deal but to be honest an aux in shouldn't need an audio interface or an amp to work as expected, and it's even worse when the manual says that you can connect an "mp3 player".

• What manual says is correct and also working WITHOUT need of additional audio interface. Just plug your mp3 device to the Kemper Return1/2 (you have to use Y-cable), set the volume for example to the Monitor Output and that is. If this is not working for you there must be some other problem and probably you need to contact support directly.

Edited once, last by vjelen ().

• as others have said, the Aux In works fine without an interface. I have used my phone at rehearsals several times and its LOUD 😬

Did you listen your guitar mixed with the aux in directly through the headphone output? If that's the case, at which volume did you have this output? And do you have an iPhone?

Aux in was working ok if I set headphone volume at 0 dB, but at this volume, guitar rigs could've blow my eardrums.

I don't think the problem is something wrong with the Kemper, since all works fine and with the audio interface aux in was loud enough. Either way, I'll contact Kemper Support.

What I really think is that iPhone/iPad don't have enough output voltage to drive correctly the return input, but I don't have any other audio device to check this aside from the audio interface.

Thank you for your replies 👌

• I didn’t use it with the headphone socket. I was using it through Main Outs straight to desk in the Rehearsal Studio. I suspect that the issue is your iPhone. I used iphones in the past but now have an Android however I still have an iPad.

Definitely raise the issue with Support as you should be able to get plenty of volume.

• Hmmm.....I had this problem playing intro tracks out through the monitor outs.

I was using my phone but I've now switched to a Digitech Jamman and it works really well.

Let me know how you get on...