Performance mode issue in Rig Manager

• Previously, in performance mode, The slot wouldn't be filled until i dragged a profile over to that slot. Now, if i'm in a slot, but then i go to another profile, THAT profile automatically goes into that slot. How do i fix this?

So my question is, can i go back to an earlier version of the software before these changes were made?

Edited once, last by sleshnyc ().

• I don't believe that my Kemper ever had the ability to listen to rigs in tuner mode. I just use the tuning lights when I'm in browse or performance mode.

And yes you can roll back to a previous FW version if you have a copy.

• Just had a look at the manual and realised that you can choose to mute (or not) the tuner. Mine is set to mute as it's handy for live tuning, or swapping guitars.

So it may be worth checking that setting before rolling back your FW.

• Perhaps I don’t understand. iIf you’re in a slot, stay there and load another rig (drag or double click), that rig will populate the slot.

That’s the way it’s always been.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Previously, in performance mode, The slot wouldn't be filled until i dragged a profile over to that slot. Now, if i'm in a slot, but then i go to another profile, THAT profile automatically goes into that slot. How do i fix this?

So my question is, can i go back to an earlier version of the software before these changes were made?

This might be a misunderstanding. The fundamental logic has not changed.

While in Performance Mode you can load Rigs from any location e.g. Rig Exchange into the Slot currently loaded via double click. Double click loads the Rig into the PROFILER buffer. Otherwise you couldn't prelisten. And prelisteing is the purpose of double click. This logic isn't new.

However, it's not stored anyhow. If you leave the Performance without storing this change doesn't become permanent.

• This might be a misunderstanding. The fundamental logic has not changed.

While in Performance Mode you can load Rigs from any location e.g. Rig Exchange into the Slot currently loaded via double click. Double click loads the Rig into the PROFILER buffer. Otherwise you couldn't prelisten. And prelisteing is the purpose of double click. This logic isn't new.

However, it's not stored anyhow. If you leave the Performance without storing this change doesn't become permanent.

sorry. let me start again. my workflow has always been to leave my toaster in tuner mode. I'm always checking tuning as i record. and i use rig manager. Previously, in this mode, i could create performances in rig manager. ie, i could create a new performance and drag profiles into one of the slots. I can no longer do that. I keep two screens open. one is the performance, and one is the browser. Even with the slot highlighted green in the performance i can not drag a profile into that slot. ONLY if i switch the toaster into performance mode, which, at that point, it changes both screens to performance mode and i lose my browser screen. I should be able to keep my toaster on tuner mode and still create performances. Should i go back to an earlier software version?

• Yes, we have in deed consciously limited the capabilities to assemble Performances in Rig Manager while the PROFILER is not in Performance Mode. The reason is that there were frequent reports indicating that users were confused about which object is currently in focus of the editor area and the store buttons at the bottom. It was possible while assembling a Performance at the top, that the editor had a completely different Rig loaded for example in Browser Mode. So parameter changes in the editor area and store buttons had nothing to do with the Performance just assembled. It often ended in reports, that objects were wrongly stored or not stored.

Assembling a Performance now requires a PROFILER being connected and in Performance Mode and the Performance being loaded (headphone icon). This way you can hear what you assemble e.g. Slot 5 of Performance 3 while you drag Rigs into it. And the editor area has the same focus: the current Rig in Slot 5 of Performance 3. And the edits affect the edit buffer first and need to be stored to become permanent, with the buttons at the bottom. So far based on latest feedback, I would say, this change has been a success in terms of increasing functional clarity.

It is still possible to select objects with as single click in the list area at the top. The line gets green, but there is no headphone icon. This mode allows to perform limited manipulations e.g. tag editing of a Rig, or even tag editing of multiple Rigs in one go or changes of name, bpm, or key of a Performance. These transactions are independent of what is currently loaded in the PROFILER edit buffer. These are even possible without a PROFILER being connected. These have not changed and are the typical transactions that you could do without ear control and even in batches. But especially assembling a Performance now requires the Perofrmance being loaded in the edit buffer of a PROFILER and therefor marked by the headphone icon.

By the way assembling a Performance still works in Tuner Mode. If you have entered Tuner Mode from Performance Mode there is still Performance Mode running as indicated by the headphone icon. You are facing this conscious limitation now, since you are running Browser Mode in the background of Tuner Mode. Tuner Mode has not been designed as being active all the time.

• thank you for your response. this is a real drag for my workflow. two questions.
    1. Is it possible you can make my way a preference? to have one window browser, one performance with the unit in tuner mode, so i can browse, and then drag when i find something?

2. can i go back to a previous version of ths software, and if so, which version please

thank you very much

• this change is probably the most important upgrade to Rig Manager since launch. Most of the “rig manager is flakey and doesn’t save my performances properly “ were actually user error because of the old workflow being unclear. You can still have two windows open and drag from one to the other to populate performances when you find a rig you like so I don’t see how this has any downside.

• thank you for your response. this is a real drag for my workflow. two questions.
    1. Is it possible you can make my way a preference? to have one window browser, one performance with the unit in tuner mode, so i can browse, and then drag when i find something?

2. can i go back to a previous version of ths software, and if so, which version please

thank you very much

I'm afraid, you havn't completely understood, what I have being trying to explain.

You can browse Rigs in one window and Performances in another. These basic functions are independent of the mode of the PROFILER. These even work without a PROFILER being connected. In this mode of Rig Manager operation you can select one object or multiple objects by a single click, the objects are marked by green lines without headphone icons and you can manipulate tags.

To edit sounds via editor it is required that a PROFILER is connected and is in the corresponding mode. You can only edit the sound of a Rig, while a PROFILER is connected and in Browser Mode and this Rig is loaded via double click (displayed in front panel and marked by headphone icon in the Rig Manager list). You can only edit the sounds of a Performance while a PROFILER is connected and in Performance Mode and this Performance is loaded via double click (displayed in front panel and marked by headphone icon in the Rig Manager). However, you can open another window and browse other objects e.g. Rigs in your Local Library and even edit their tags at any time. The limitationn of PROFIELR being connected and in corresponding mode refers to "sound editing", which is basically the editor. Assembling a Performance is now also seen as such a sound change. I guess, most people want to hear what they assemble. And that requires a PROFILER being connected and in Performance Mode and the Performance in assembly being loaded.

You can keep your workflow as it is as long as you make sure, you are entering Tuner Mode from Performance Mode and not from Browser Mode. Be aware, that the four modes indicated by the chickenhead selector are not all at the same level. The basic modes are Browser Mode and Performance Mode. The PROFILER is either in Browser Mode or in Performance Mode at any time! If your switch into Tuner Mode - the same applies to Profiler Mode - this is a kind over overlay display and workflow. But the unit remains in underlying Browser Mode or Perofrmance Mode. If you would for example send MIDI program changes, while Tuner Mode is activated, the unit would either load the corresponding Rig in Browser Mode or the corresponding Performance Slot in Performance Mode. It's still very relevant - and in particular for Rig Manager- if the underlying mode is Browser Mode or Performance Mode.

• thank you very much for taking the time to explain