Finally got my kemper but a bit overwhelmed.... thoughts?

• There are a ton of profiles that come with it and many are not really that great. I kinda want to clear them out and start from scratch.

Any profiles you would recommend I keep?
    And what are the most loved ones in the rig exchange?

I don't really want to spend hours and hours downloading and trying rigs. I know I might have to do get the few that I actually need.

Quite enjoying the rig pack 2. seem to be some fantastic rigs that feel a bit more "real".

Really though I don't need a lot of tone. I just want a bunch of killer AC30s, maybe a hiwatt, a typical marshal, something like a fender deluxe, and one or two other amps.

I use a G&L Asat with single coil.

• don't really want to spend hours and hours downloading and trying rigs.

Do it in small steps, take down 20-30 rig/day and sort them out. Nothing can substitute you ears for that. I have Rigs that sounds crap in my hands and fantastic for somebody else, and the other way around. Also a mediocre Rig can turn in to a OMFG one if you start playing with the advanced Amp and Cab settings, Even better when you start using the stomp eq (still have to find a real eq that work so well as the Studio or Graphic eq in the Kemper....). Swapping Cabs have also a dramatic impact on the sound...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Look for the Morgan 20 (for your AC30 tones) and the Golub Marshall profile is a start. Also, try the Vampower profile....it's unique and has amazing touch sensitivity! :thumbup:

As was suggested above, do try experimenting with the cabs. Do a search for Tills cabs and download his whole set. There are many "Fendery" flavors...I like the Cowtipper 45 pretty well.

Don't be afraid to try adjusting the gain....you can go a little bit higher, and much lower, with great success.

There is a "hidden" volume control in the "Cab" section, which works wonders leveling rig-to-rig volume.

• Somewhere if you search the forum you'll find a method for "clearing" your Kemper. You basically do a back up and then dig into the backup file and remove the rigs you don't want and put the others in a new folder for safe keeping. They can be then added back as desired. This really helped me get a handle on things and now I'm slowly going though my Amp Factory rigs and figuring out what ones I'll keep. When that's done I'll go though Armin's and I should by then have a very nice and complete complement of rigs including some from the factory set which I've already tweaked to taste. It's still a lot of rigs, but not overwhelming like it was before.

• yah I think Ill clear it and just go in batches.

Would be amazing if there was a profile manager that was super detailed with folders, amp pictures, even reviews.

Anyone care to let me know their top 3 profiles?

• Most of the profiles suck, especially the included ones. Finding good ones is definitely a chore but they're out there.

Really? I felt that most were either good or very good and even the ones that seem "lack luster" make nice fits for deep in the mix guitar tracks. Not every sound has to be in your face and sparkle. I bought the Amp Factory and Armin's bundles and while they're very good, in the end I felt that if I had just stuck with what came with the Kemper I'd have had more than enough to work with and never be unhappy.

• Search by author:

and44 - He posted a lot of good ones before he even started charging. They are all on the Rig exchange. Then check out theampfactory.com

Juanma Blanco - Tons of great high gain amps. Maybe not your style, but worth test driving.

Richie - all his JTM45HW profiles are some of my favorites. Clean, Cruch, Fuzz, Distortion, he has profiled this amp intensively.

r.u.sirius - why yes his profiles are serious.

okstrat - a.k.a. Pete has some great profiles on his website http://petesprofiles.weebly.com/ that are not on the Rig Exchange. I love the Cameron Atomica profiles and the 72 Marshall for crunchy goodness.

FastRedPonyCar - I love the Splawn and the Mako.

I have only had my KPA for four months and those have kind of rose to the top of my rotation. I am sure there are quite a bit more that I haven't been able to test drive that are awesome as well. Have fun choosing your favorites!

-Lonnie

• agreed, okstart & redfastpony car have some awesome stuff. I often mix up the cabs, I use a bunch I made and some Tills that can make virtually any profile sound decent.

There's a ZAP dumble from (I think Tony McKenzie) that has caught my love; it is such a unique clean profile! I'll have a clip soon

Under my profiles, the Blackface and Cobra DIFF have lasted awhile on my KPA. I only keep 50-100 at a time, so even my own profiles get the axe during a cleaning spree!

• awesome. thanks for the replies. Some of those profiles are AWESOME!! definitely outshine a lot of the ones that come with the kemper. Any more suggestions are appreciated. Overall I'm getting close to happy.

• ... on D'Lux Dirty Cactus.

But one day soon I will ask Armin how I can buy his profile of a tweed Deluxe. (Was it really a real 5E3?)

Until then turning up the "High Shift" parameter in the Cab section just a tad serves for making the ceramic speakers sound a bit more alnicoish to me.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

Edited 2 times, last by fretboardminer ().

• There's a ZAP dumble from (I think Tony McKenzie) that has caught my love; it is such a unique clean profile! I'll have a clip soon

Yeah, that Dumble rig sounds amazing with single coils. It's surprising that you're the first to really mention it since I put it out there a while ago. Thanks to Tony for the original :love:

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer