Kemper + IEMs - sounds horrible!

• Hi everyone,

I’ve had my Kemper rack for a few years and have recently moved over to playing with in ears. The sound out FOH or through speakers at home is great, but the sound coming through the In ears is completely different. It’s a lot more distorted, thin, and just lacks all decent qualities. Clean sounds are not too bad but it’s mainly with any kind of overdriven tones it gets way worse.

Does anyone have any tips on how to make this sound better?

I Run my Kemper rack to a Behringer Air X mixer through XLR (Mono), and then back out through XLR ( mono) to a Behringer P2 which I plug my in ears too. I’m using the UE 18 pro so plenty of drivers!

Thanks in advance8)

• Hi Keller blues, nothings clipping- I have the P2 set to around 4/10 volume wise. The signal in isn’t clipping either.

• Is there a difference if you plug into the headphone jack on the Kemper? I use IEM’s (64 Audio) in a wireless situation, not hard wired like you which typically sounds better. My sound is pretty much the same from home studio speakers Adam Audio, ATH m50 headphones, kemper Kone speaker, As it should be. Sure a speaker in the room has more bottom end due to the room. If you’re going to stay wired iem, try a presonus hp2. It’s better than the Behringer, and still inexpensive.

• Thanks for the suggestion for a different mic amp! I’ll certainly check this out. When I plug straight into the headphone output I have to have it on -90 db as it’s super loud straight into IEMs, the sound is completely different to sound out of speakers / FOH, and is the same as the sound that comes out when I go through the mixer into my in ears.

• I found them interesting to get used to but they have the benefit of being the same each night. Another reason I love the KPA. They sound a bit like standing right next to the speaker, which we never do and can seem strange to start. Also if the seal is not really tight, they can sound not so good

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• prolly the signal into the Behringer P2 is clipping, i used to have shure psm 200 wireless sytem , the input signal alway was super hot, so i had to turn the gain knobs on the channels down a lot, i recently bought a sennheiser ex iem g4 and everything works great! i also switched in ears because the ones that i had were kinda cheap and kemper sounded to harsh, i get a better sound now, i'm aiming for UE in the future, greetings