Best settings for a great lead guitar tone.

• Hello.

I'm just wondering what is the best way to get a lovely recorded lead guitar tone using the many effects on the kemper....is it best record in mono or stereo, double tracker on/off, delay/stereo widener on or off?

Cheers.:thumbup:

• I don't always double my solos. It depends on the sound I'm going for.

As far as tone, it's not as simple as anyone telling you what settings to plug in. It totally depends on the sound you're going for, the profile you're using, the guitar you're using and yes, you're own fingers.

Some general tips would be, once you have the tone you want, I'd record your solo out of the Kemper totally dry (e.g. don't use any of the Kemper delays, reverbs, or other effects, etc.). It's usually best to add those effects using plugins through your DAW. If you record your solo with Kemper's effects, those effects are going to be baked into the .wav file with no way to change them if you don't like how they sound in the mix. Record your solo dry, and then you can add, remove, change effects however you want using plugins. This allows you to adjust things like the timing and amount of delays so that they blend perfectly with your track.

If you're somewhat new to recording and you want a doubled solo sound, the Double Tracker is a good effect to use. I sometimes find myself using the Delay Widener instead of the Double Tracker because I hate how if you listen to the Double Tracker, you can hear the signal shifting from left to right; I want a doubled sound, not a panning effect.

• Thanks for that....I'll definitely try the dry solo.

I've just set the kemper up as an interface which also allows you to reamp so I'll have a play with that.

My go to setting is usually double tracker set to around 80% or lower so the spread isn't so wide, I find if its 100% it kind of gets lost in the mix. I've also used the delay widener which sounds very similar.

• I don't record dry solos, I know my tones and what they do on a mix, so'its fully effected when hitting the DAW, then post EQ, comp.

Check my last dakota lead fill my goto fxs.

Sure you can't reamp, but that tone is definitely good , I think verb & delay have a massive impact on a lead, maybe more than the amp itself

• I don't record dry solos, I know my tones and what they do on a mix, so'its fully effected when hitting the DAW, then post EQ, comp.

Sure you can't reamp, but that tone is definitely good , I think verb & delay have a massive impact on a lead, maybe more than the amp itself

True. Although if you add compression after recording the reverb and delays, you drastically affect the mix levels of those. Which is not always what you want.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

But I think you have a better understanding in mix of what it sounds like.

I think the common mistake to pour effects on to a sound, only to find it gets lost in a mix and you end up "drier" that you would naturally expect - so it depends upon your experience :)

I'm with Waraba here I just do mono SPDIF with effects although I mainly record on to rough mixes of the entire track so I can reasonably hear the end result. I did a couple of sessions for people using multiple outputs assigned to stack and fx only so you print the dry and fx separately and can mix them as you'd like after the fact, you have to have an interface with a number of inputs to do this but it's really straight forward. I also did some as ramps and completely changed amp sounds in response to feedback

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• I always record direct, dry and full in parallel.

I monitor the full signal (with fx) but I have the dry one for mixing purposes and the direct one for reamping if necessary. What gets used at the end depends on needs of the song/producer. Thus way I have to do only 1 take (unless I screw it...)

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better