Will there be any reason to have more than one profile with Liquid Profiling?

• Im a Di guy primarily an I just add a IR when i wana go to my daw. I do not want a million amps in my kemper so i am pumped to have 10 max amps an if im happy with the liqued tone stack than i be very happy just to have 1 or 2 snapshots of a amp an let the LP do the rest. My fav clean tone on mine is a obscure amp but if a fender tonestack works with it, so be it. There going to be alot of missmatching with this. An like many say no 2 amps are same an esp peoples profiles of those amps. LP will not make it sound like exact like the original amp, I think it will just give you more realistic options for tone shapping.

• As was mentioned, an amp of the exact same model can sound different.

I have two Marshall 50w non master Lead amps from 1978 (model 1987). They are only 3 serial numbers apart.

One aggressive and the other more polite. Even after being serviced by Marshall, they retain these differences.

Probably just something to do with what was in the ‘parts bin’ at Marshall the day they were made.

My 68 small box 50w Plexi (also model 1987) sounds nothing like the two heads above. Even more aggressive with more gain.

So, I think people can still look around for the Liquid Profiles that suit their particular needs.

As also mentioned, mic’s and cabs make a huge difference. Yes, you can have a DI profile but you have to take into account the difference each cab and mic will add to the sound. Especially taking into consideration finding the ‘sweet spot’ of the speaker before profiling. Something most IR makers don’t seem to do.

Yes, they take and offer a lot of IR’s but this just seems to be a case of them moving the mic across the cab at different points without actually listening to find the ‘sweet spots’.

The initial sweet spot is dead easy to find. Just get some headphones, route the mic through the headphones and sweep the mic across the speaker. Up, down, left and right. No guitar used, just the hiss of the amp through the speaker listening on headphones.

Do this until you find the most intense and loudest hiss. Mark it with a chinagraph pencil and move on to the next speakers and do the same. It will be in a slightly different spot on each speaker but so easy to hear.

After doing this, the sweet spot will always be under where you have marked each speaker unless you change one out.

Don’t use tape to mark it. Do a test with taping the spot and compare with using the chinagraph pencil. The ‘taped’ marker will sound duller.

All the above, I tend to use an SM57 (sometimes paired with an AKG 451).

For lead sounds, go for a more throaty sound when sweeping the cab with the mic. It’s almost the opposite of what you have just done above when you were looking for the most intense hiss.

This one is more difficult to describe as sounds often are.

I normally use an AKG 414 for lead sounds.

So, cabs and mic’s make a huge difference.

Have fun and ‘get sweeping’.

• Yep. A pretty big contributing factor to the overall tone is the master volume, and the impedance interaction between the poweramp and cab. This can also affect how the presence and depth behave.

Liquid profiling is cool for making the EQ tweaks sound more natural and less weird, but I so far it doesn’t seem to be as accurate as I was hoping for