• This week's mix come courtesy of slicing my picking index finger while cutting an onion, and trying to play the main riff with the pick sliding all around my band-aid.

I paid much more attention to tightness against the drums. I used my Viper SG with SD Pegasus HB for a total dry left and a total wet right, so now I know how to to a Dry/Wet thingy. The solo was on my Squire Contemporary SSH because it was the only other Eb tuned guitar on hand. Bass was the Squire Precision PJ (not fun with a band-aid).

I only have a light compressor on the Master track. The bass has a low cut and the rhythm has a small high shelf boost. Pretty simple mixing and I am happy about that.

There are still a couple spots I am off timing on, and the bass is not quite what I want, but I'm overall happy about the mix. I am 5 weeks out until my 5 yr anniversary with guitar so it's getting time to put up or shut up.

I welcome your critiques to use for the next mix.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Good job Larry, it's funny how your own sound & style is now easy to identify by a few seconds of listening, I think it's the best compliment a guitarist could give to another one , so well done man ... it takes time to achieve that.

As long as it's a sound & style people like. LOL. Thanks very much Renaud!

• NIce tune. What drums did you use?

Those Viper SGs are nice. I almost pulled the plug on one a while back but wound with a Samick Artist Series SG that I got for peanuts even with a hardshell case.

That PJ sound pretty nice.

• NIce tune. What drums did you use?

Those Viper SGs are nice. I almost pulled the plug on one a while back but wound with a Samick Artist Series SG that I got for peanuts even with a hardshell case.

That PJ sound pretty nice.

Oh I forgot to say sorry to hear about your finger. Injuries suck. I have been on crutches for over 4 weeks now. Effed up my left ankle pretty good.

Thanks for the compliment and checking it out! I am using Superior Drummer 3 with the NY kit that's EQ'd and Leveled up. I was using MT Drumkit 2 before which has a similar sound right out the box. MT Drum is free if you want to try it out.

I always wanted an SG but also wanted a 24 fret one so I went with this Viper 1000 QM Tiger Eye instead of a Gibson Modern.

20220602_144219.jpg

I wanted a cheap bass to do tracks instead of using a MIDI bass plugin. The Squire Precision had decent ratings and wouldn't infringe too much on my guitar allowance. I still don't know quite how to get the tones I want from it. But playing a Bass does help to play guitar better and get those fingers spread more.

Sorry, about your ankle. That totally sucks. The cut is nothing compare to my Trigger Fingers I've been dealing with. Two on each hand. I had surgery on my index fretting hand over a year ago. I have surgery scheduled on the middle fretting hand in 3 weeks plus they will inject steroids into the index and middle of my picking hand. I guess I practice too much but that won't stop me. LOL. The doctors have no clue what causes it.

• Nice progress BayouTexan and well done for overcoming the cut! I find that unless it completely rehabilitates being forced to work a different way is often quite effective for opening up creativity.

Thanks Per! I've ran across that scenario a few times. It seems like music eventually wins out no matter the road block in front of you.

• Thanks for the info. I tried MT Drums a while ago just to check it out.

I love that Viper. The shirt is cool too. I recently bought my first Squire. Too much of a snob to consider one but I took the plunge and got a jazzmaster. It took me a couple of days to tweak it but it was well worth it. Once I set it up, I was blown away by how good it really is. I cannot get it to go out of tune. The electronics are pretty good IMO. I figured I would upgrade them but no need yet.

If I find a deal on a bass like yours, I am all over it.

• Thanks for the info. I tried MT Drums a while ago just to check it out.

I love that Viper. The shirt is cool too. I recently bought my first Squire. Too much of a snob to consider one but I took the plunge and got a jazzmaster. It took me a couple of days to tweak it but it was well worth it. Once I set it up, I was blown away by how good it really is. I cannot get it to go out of tune. The electronics are pretty good IMO. I figured I would upgrade them but no need yet.

If I find a deal on a bass like yours, I am all over it.

This is the one and color I have. Can't beat the SW 2 yr warranty. I did my own setup and no fret buzz. I mean, it's just a bass, right? LOL. Check out the price on the demo.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PBassAfPJCFM--squier-affinity-series-precision-bass-charcoal-frost-metallic-with-laurel-fingerboard