800 4104 (2204) JF4104LB

• A great 4104 (EL342204) through a Lynchback speaker. It's a super good sounding 800. I like it with a hot pickup like a JB. Has some common FX I like.

Look for JF4104LB Let me know what you think!

added by mod:

Bass 3

Mid 3

Treble 2.5

Presence 3
    Preamp Vol TBD ;)

• I only have only created and posted a couple profiles. I went back and gave this one a fresh ear after a long time of playing different "professional" Friedman and Marshmallow profiles. I think it really holds up and I like that it has the bit of "coarser grain" distortion type (like an 800) and not as vanilla smooth and common.

This was like my 2nd or 3rd profile ever. (I've made less than 6 I think)What's so cool to me is I recall just setting up a mic and getting a good sound then profiling very quickly, not spending much time at all except to get levels right after the first one or two after switching cabs. It was just right there and done. I've been playing the heck out of this having fun, I think the harmonics are easy to get singing with this and the feel is good. It cleans up pretty good too like my 800 does.

• is this a Liquid Profile, or if not, do you have the settings so it can be retro-fitted? :)

The Bass was on 3 middle 3, mid 3 and treble 2.5 presence 3. It's not a liquid profile. The EQ on these 800s are so strange and interactive they can be set so many different ways to be good and lots of ways to be horrible. I know a lot of guys like to have the mids up on these amps but IMO that's what can be bad. It gets much louder that way but if you dial the mids back, it lets you push it more without becoming strident. Once you really get things cranking the EQ does less and less. This profile was done at volume of about 4, about as loud as you can yell!

• Official Post

The Bass was on 3 middle 3, mid 3 and treble 2.5 presence 3. It's not a liquid profile. The EQ on these 800s are so strange and interactive they can be set so many different ways to be good and lots of ways to be horrible. I know a lot of guys like to have the mids up on these amps but IMO that's what can be bad. It gets much louder that way but if you dial the mids back, it lets you push it more without becoming strident. Once you really get things cranking the EQ does less and less. This profile was done at volume of about 4, about as loud as you can yell!

thank you :)

assuming that with 'volume' you mean Master Volume, what was Preamp Volume set to? :)

• Amazing. I just profiled this rig with the proper settings except for the preamp I put it on 5 using the Mars cm 800. What a sound so much control over the highs and lows. The preamp works amazingly well unfortunately I don't have a real Marshal to compare it to but sure feels like the real thing to me.

Mr. Dynochrome thank you for the free profile its really awesome. If I ever meet you I'm buying you a beer.

• Can I turn this into an accurate "liquid profile" without reprofiling it? I did a cursory read through of liquid profiling but didn't really fully digest how. I don't (yet) understand how it could know what freq the knobs are set at for the EQ. I had previously posted what Marshall claimed them to be and had some discussion wondering if and how the liquid profile would/could be accurate. (Unfortunate if it was because as I stated before, the EQ on these amps are horrible IMO)

This 4104 was found in a Church in Minneapolis preserved there in great condition since the 80's. I was fortunate enough to have one of the world's most famous tech/designers go through it and give it a clean bill of health. He asked me if I wanted to mod it but I said no as it seems like everyone that mods these for gain (although they sound awesome) regrets it so I leave mine stock.

There are tons of high gain Marshalls and other amps to buy but stock 800 are becoming rarer because back when everybody modded them. Modding them for gain can be a lot like putting a pedal in front of them and that seems to me like a better choice to not molest a piece of history only made for about 3 years.

This amp rips and the profile turned out good but I think I could do a better one as in person it sounds a bit more dynamic to me. I'll likely get around to it eventually once I embrace the liquid profile thing and determine if it would be an advantage to have it have a "real" EQ. IMO the snapshot the way I took it is not bad and the "old" Kemper stack works great fine tuning it.

As I implied, I cannot see how it would be a plus making a profile that has the exact EQ of the actual amp. It sucks and it's easy to make amps like this sound like crap adjusting the controls the way you normally might think is needed.

• Official Post

As I implied, I cannot see how it would be a plus making a profile that has the exact EQ of the actual amp. It sucks and it's easy to make amps like this sound like crap adjusting the controls the way you normally might think is needed.

for someone with a brighter sounding guitar/pickup, it might be useful to be able to adjust the mids and treble a bit, to essentially achieve the the same tone you're after - since we do have the JCM800 Amp Model avalable, it would only make sense to use this tonestack instead of the generic Kemper tonestack, to keep things as authentic as possible.

• for someone with a brighter sounding guitar/pickup, it might be useful to be able to adjust the mids and treble a bit, to essentially achieve the the same tone you're after - since we do have the JCM800 Amp Model avalable, it would only make sense to use this tonestack instead of the generic Kemper tonestack, to keep things as authentic as possible.

I understand that. IMO keeping things authentic comes second to making something sound good. But I get it.

• Can I turn this into an accurate "liquid profile" without reprofiling it?

I think I did with your settings except for gain I put it at 5. Sounds amazing I can't stop playing it. I did change a bunch of settings because I'm playing a Les Paul. The whole amp just came alive.

• since we do have the JCM800 Amp Model avalable

I will definitely have to check out the tone stack. If it does very little except make it simple to adjust the amp to sound terrible and strident, I'll confirm that it is accurate. :P If there are other 1980-1983 JCM 800 users out there let me know if you agree.

• I think I did with your settings except for gain I put it at 5. Sounds amazing I can't stop playing it. I did change a bunch of settings because I'm playing a Les Paul. The whole amp just came alive.

I had the gain higher than 5. Most likely 7-8. On my amp any treble setting above 6 will turn the amp into a Metal zone into a Gorilla GG-10.

• OK so even though being a naysayer to liquid profiling, I entered. Spending a few minutes with it and my 800 profile observations using the 800 EQ: Does it react like my actual 800 amp stack: not at all. Does it make it sound better? Absolutely YES more "open" and "alive". "So as I always say, "accuracy" to the original amp doesn't prevail over to what sounds best, but I could tell adding this made my profile better right away. Now I'm inspired to do my own liquid profile and see if it matches my amp' EQ better. My first test was to crank the treble. On all my 800s if you do this it becomes unbearably horrid but with the liquid stack it didn't have that same effect, it still sounded OK. When I get time I'll get into it a bit, I'm sure there's a lot to learn and I know Kemper amps knows what they're doing, I just have to keep up. Seems to be a plus!

• Thank you! A great job, appreciate your effort! Would you be so epic to make this available as a Liquid Profile?

Forgive the request, I realize I am a total Kemper noob and I still need to learn how to convert from static to liquid profiles ;(