profile Improvement

• I have had this Profile amp over a year and I have pretty good ears. I want this amp to succeed! So close it is to being un beatable....But I must say...there is a missing element in the profiles that are not capturing our amps completely. After the Profile is taken and I go back and listen to the real deal vs Kemper through the same cabinet and a Mesa Power amp and a Mosvalve amp but not much difference there and what I find there is a lack of or missing element of ....How do I say here.....Body. Hair maybe.....Warmth. Low mid fullness maybe. I Profiled my Marshall AFD and although close there is a lacking warmth body mid something or other. Comes out thinner than Original. Im just here to say your s o so close to having this perfect. please keep up the great work.Joej

• Eq wise I have really only noticed a slight loss in bass which is easily added back. Very close. But there is that 5% at times the real amp can have, mojo. ;)

• I have had this Profile amp over a year and I have pretty good ears. I want this amp to succeed! So close it is to being un beatable....But I must say...there is a missing element in the profiles that are not capturing our amps completely. After the Profile is taken and I go back and listen to the real deal vs Kemper through the same cabinet and a Mesa Power amp and a Mosvalve amp but not much difference there and what I find there is a lack of or missing element of ....How do I say here.....Body. Hair maybe.....Warmth. Low mid fullness maybe. I Profiled my Marshall AFD and although close there is a lacking warmth body mid something or other. Comes out thinner than Original. Im just here to say your s o so close to having this perfect. please keep up the great work.Joej

Did you compare to a direct profile taken from the preamp of the mesa, or a regular studio profile?

• IME with the Kemper vs my amp (JCM2000 DSL 100W with 1960 Lead cab) with both a sm57 and a e906 propped up against the grill, is that against both mics, the Kemper profile is almost there....

but, to my ears, it tends to miss the target a little in regards to the bass response of the tone coming out of the real amp.

Sometimes, adding about 1db or so to the bass brings it even closer, sometimes I find I need an EQ stomp in front of the profile to get it there.
    Dont get me wrong, it is a very useable sound, but its the dead giveaway for me in blind tests, which I nearly always get right.

IMO, this is the only achilles heel of the Kemper profiling process, otherwise its pretty much flawless in terms of sonic quality.

Thanks so much for making this think CK. Its my best buy of the year!! :thumbup:

• Am I reading this correctly that you are comparing the profile that is played back again by the same speaker cabinet?
    You are probably comparing to a sound that cannot be seen as the same sound. But I could be wrong.

Please explain exactly how you cabled for profiling and how you cabled for listening to the profile.

Thanks
    CK

• I think as the Magazine reviews come in They are finding the same thing here as I. Spectacular! But not on all profiles. I have found some people who post their profiles for download that have that mid range wah sound that I really don't like. Who ever did the Blankenship 9 is really good! Also the Hi Watt I found as one of my favs. After I take my profiles I have a Bradshaw Switching system where you can have 4 amps into one cab. So I have the Kemper powered with my Mesa Boogie 290 cab sim off as one and My AFD and a Marshal Camron mod and a Mojave Rockstah mod so I can easily compare back to back. maybe I should post a video to show whatI am saying here that I feel is slightly missing.
    surely Kemper knows this or there is a certain mic we all should be using for the absolute best results. I use the 609 by senheiser. This is knit picking really but hey if we can improve it let's do it. Joej

• The e609 is a very nasaly/upper mids heavy mic, personally i like it on guitar cabs because that seems to bring out some of the grit that an SM57/58 smooths over. However it does mean that you lose quite a bit of the lower end punch.

This really isn't an issue of the Kemper though, but of the mic and the rest of the signal chain. However I do think there are still issues with profiles versus the real deal and I'm hoping to find time soon (now that I'm back with my KPA) to do some more thorough tests to see if I can isolate and work out what it is that I'm still feeling that I'm missing compared to my real amps, I know it's not the room sound, but there is something that's somehow not quite as punchy or immediate somehow I was thinking the transients, but it's possible that it is the bass and that's just how my mind is interpreting things.

• Guys, be aware that all of you talk about different things.

Per,
    Obviously two in this thread compare the original amp to the profiler played back by the same cabinet. This is not.valid, if not done right. Are you comparing it the same way?

• ive been using a tube mic that i built for 170 dollars and an sm57 and i have more than enough low mids when listining back to back through studio monitors with the kemper di to innerface and the mixed cab in the room it sounds about 99.5% to where i cant tell the difference i find a problem when puting it through a cab and power amp when bypassing the cab sim is where it seems to loose the warmth to me

[Blocked Image: http://i39.tinypic.com/f05540.jpg]
    Pro Tools HDX HD i/o 8x8x8
    SSL Nucleus
    vintech
    2 573
    2 x81
    1 609ca
    classic api 4 vp312
    Neumann kh120's
    Presonus digimax
    Furman hds-6
    splawn nitro
    gmajor 2
    kemper
    agile 727s
    yes i work at Vintech

• Guys, be aware that all of you talk about different things.

Per,
    Obviously two in this thread compare the original amp to the profiler played back by the same cabinet. This is not.valid, if not done right. Are you comparing it the same way?

Hi Christoph, actually I have two things I need to compare, normally I just do DI, so it's KPA direct vs amp through mic, i.e. the "correct" like for like evaluation. But I also intend to make another DI profile from my amp and compare KPA through return to original amp's pre through the same cab, which should be fair to compare. The reason I want to do that one is that the last time I tried through my amp the KPA sounded very compressed going through the amp's return, but I didn't have time to really analyze what was going on properly.

• Kemper not sure I understand your meaning. IF I Profile with a Certain cab..when I do a comparison I should not use that same cab for listening of both Real and Kemper Please explain .Thanks Joej

• No, you compare the mic'd amp with the profile, this is what has been captured. You should hear at both through your monitors. If you want to do it your way you need to run the KPA with cab off through the power amp and cab of the same amp.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Kemper not sure I understand your meaning. IF I Profile with a Certain cab..when I do a comparison I should not use that same cab for listening of both Real and Kemper Please explain .Thanks Joej

Our mighty Sage explained perfectly.
    I'd add that if you want to hear your amp thru that cab (so without using FRFR or studio monitors) you'd rather make a DI profile to get a better match between the profile and the original amp.

• After listening to Author Sheguitarplayers profile Of the Marshall AFD I have to say its much better than mine and after comparison of that profile to my real AFD it is just about spot on! so Im going to start over and see what I may be doing wrong. Technique is everything.Any advise on mics and technique out there fire away! Joej

Edited once, last by Joej ().

• The real amp setup is like this:
    guitar - amp - speaker

If you profile with a mic in front of the real amp then the Kemper setup is like this:
    guitar - amp - speaker - mic

When the profiles is used with a FRFR system it's like this:
    guitar - amp - speaker - mic - FRFR amp - FRFR speaker

So the mic is always there - and so the used mic and mic placement is VERY important to create a great profile.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

Edited 2 times, last by Armin ().

• Oh Shit having the Boot up Freeze problem!!!! 2 hours reading and hoping it will boot up. Going over to that forum now.