Trying to get more breakup from this tone

• Ok so excuse the artist and song, I just really like that strat tone from the guitar, I blieve its an Eric Clapton Crashcaster.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'm using the Fender Bassman Black Face clean profile (from the factory profile list), alot of amp compression, pure boost was already on there so I left that, gain low as its pretty clean. Fiddled with clarity and definition which are around halfway.

It's close, but I just can't get that extra "spack" in the breakup when he hits the strings with the back of his hand. I've tried alot - more compression, preamp gain, several boost pedals. can't quite get it, what else is there? Midboost? I believe that strat has one in the circuit. Turning up the gain doesn't really do anything. Maybe the overall volume needs to be louder?

• The guitar in my icon is an American Fender Stratocaster with a Clapton boost circuit in it. If I turn that knob up, it sounds like me playing a Strat with more mids, not like Eric or Ed. I think the main thing to playing similar to that is the physical approach. For a start, it looks like he is using the neck pickup, and his hand is between the middle and neck pickup.

• The guitar in my icon is an American Fender Stratocaster with a Clapton boost circuit in it. If I turn that knob up, it sounds like me playing a Strat with more mids, not like Eric or Ed. I think the main thing to playing similar to that is the physical approach. For a start, it looks like he is using the neck pickup, and his hand is between the middle and neck pickup.

Yeah must be something to do with that strat with the mid boost. I'm playing on the neck pickup and hitting the string quite hard on the backbeat, but can't get the sizzle when he does it, like its quieter or something.

• Try a VOX Ac15 profile. If you are on OS 10 try it with a LP of a Ac15.

I'm still on 9.0.5 lol but didn't think it'd be a Vox style amp, I mean if there's already one on there or one I can get off the factory rig packs I could try. It definitely sounds like a Fender sorta amp though and I've been through Twin/Reverb/Deluxe/Champion etc. Black Face sounds the closest.

• ThanClapton Strat has a 25db mid boost. I think it’s around 500hz but could be wrong. Try putting a studio EQ in front of the amp and aggressively boosting around that range.

Yeah it does for solos but for some reason Ed's using it to play 4 chords haha. I've tried everything else but mid-range boost from the EQ section, and yes I think it is 500hz somewhere so the 2nd page or something in the settings?

• I'm still on 9.0.5 lol but didn't think it'd be a Vox style amp, I mean if there's already one on there or one I can get off the factory rig packs I could try. It definitely sounds like a Fender sorta amp though and I've been through Twin/Reverb/Deluxe/Champion etc. Black Face sounds the closest.

I use a Ac15 profile with my strat

clean but breaks up really.

You could add a little spark with power sag. Basically the possibility are endless.

• Ok I'll have a look to see if there's an AC15. There's definitely an AC30 one on mine. Not sure if "breakup" was the right word, its just the hit he does you can hear that crunch clang really nicely.

And what does the power sag do by the way? I haven't touched that one in the amp settings (I think that's where its located)

• From Manual: ''When you turn “Power Sagging” beyond 50%, you go beyond what can be achieved with an analog tube amp, but without losing any of the natural characteristics of the sound. At full force, “Power Sagging” can make sparkling clean notes sound louder than distorted ones, so you can use it to expand the dynamic range of the original sound.''

• Tried the power sag, didn't really make much, if any difference. Also had the AC30 profile on my Factory list so tried that, sounds similar to what I'm using now, but without that chimey spack sound. In the video it doesn't look like he's even hitting the strings that hard so there's something there to give that sound.

• Try hitting the amp with a pure booster. Any time I need a *little* more breakup, that's been my go-to. No color added, just a hotter signal hitting the amp.

Sometimes it's as little as a .5 db boost.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Try hitting the amp with a pure booster. Any time I need a *little* more breakup, that's been my go-to. No color added, just a hotter signal hitting the amp.

Sometimes it's as little as a .5 db boost.

There's already one on the factory Fender Black face clean profile. I may fiddle with the db a bit but I don't think its going to make much difference.

• I haven't tried to replicate your experience, but what I hear in the video is most likely technique. A pretty wide range of muting techniques are possible with the back of the fingers, nails and finger tips when using this kind of muting. Knopfler and Cooder are both pretty heavy users of this type of muting and the results can very a lot. The video sounds like right hand muting in combination with a well timed left hand mute. Perhaps that is what you are hearing? It sounds like a punch followed by a very fast left hand mute.

• I haven't tried to replicate your experience, but what I hear in the video is most likely technique. A pretty wide range of muting techniques are possible with the back of the fingers, nails and finger tips when using this kind of muting. Knopfler and Cooder are both pretty heavy users of this type of muting and the results can very a lot. The video sounds like right hand muting in combination with a well timed left hand mute. Perhaps that is what you are hearing? It sounds like a punch followed by a very fast left hand mute.

I like to think I'm playing it in the same way as he is, with the fingers and muting the strings. That crunch on the hammer on is much louder on his guitar/amp.

• I like to think I'm playing it in the same way as he is, with the fingers and muting the strings. That crunch on the hammer on is much louder on his guitar/amp.

I get it. I had similar thoughts regarding the Knopfler thing. Could never get it to sound exactly right and still haven't. I'm convinced it's the player not the amp in my case.