Mission expression pedal wah question

• Hi everyone,

Might be a daft one but here goes.

I have a lead in one of bands songs where I go from a very quick intense riff into a wah solo. I find it difficult to hit the lead switch on my kemper remote, then hit the cry baby wah switch.

I'm looking at buying a mission pedal.

1. Can I program it so hitting the pedal toe switch engages my lead tone as well as the wah?

2. What's people's thoughts on the pedal itself Vs classic wah pedals like the cry baby?

Thanks for any replies 👍

• You can control almost anything with the foot switch. I had mine set up to work as Wah On/Off but now don't bother and use Bypass@Toe or Bypass@Stop instead. If you were to use Bypass@........ you could assign the Mission toe switch to turn on a Boost pedal or set it to trigger Morph and use the morphed sound for your solo.

Personally, I don't like the mission pedal at all and am probably going to change mine for a 3rd Zoom FP2 in the very near future. But if you want a Wah pedal feel and taper from your expression pedal then the Mission works well enough but the price takes some swallowing for what is literally a CryBaby housing with a Dunlop pot but none of the electronics that make it a way.

• Thanks 👍

So just to be clear, I could set it so that I'd simply hit the toe switch, and that would in one tap engage both wah and the boost for solo?

No, you can assign external switches to only 1 Fx slot. That is not possible

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• You don’t need to hit anything to engage the wah. Simply mov9ng the wah pedal would activate the wah and the toe switch would activate the boost.

Crikey.

So the wah is disengaged until it senses movement and then when you move it you get wah?

Then logically....what happens when you stop moving it? Does it immediately revert to no wah, Irrespective of where in the range of the pedal you leave it?

• Crikey.

So the wah is disengaged until it senses movement and then when you move it you get wah?

Then logically....what happens when you stop moving it? Does it immediately revert to no wah, Irrespective of where in the range of the pedal you leave it?

KeysAndGuitars has provided the relevant information.

My answer would be - it depends 🤣

You can set the Wah effect and the pedal to do many things and work just how you want it. You can even set the wah effect to come on with no change as the pedal is moved. IE you can set it to a specific “cocked wah” effect even without a pedal attached. It is a very powerful tool.

• as I recall the kemper wah also has a parameter for volumeboost built in...can't check the manual right now

• as I recall the kemper wah also has a parameter for volumeboost built in...can't check the manual right now

It’s a different effect type called Wah Pedal Booster. This allows you to leave the pedal configured as a wah but control a boost instead of frequency sweep. I don’t think you could use both at the same time to achieve what 1Towneley is aiming for in this situation.

• I’ve got a Mission Engineering EP1-KP (in beautiful Kemper green!) on order with my KPP. I’ve got no experience with Kemper at all (unless you count the Access Virus TI2 I got about 18 months ago), and it’s been literally decades since I’ve owned a guitar pedal, other than the Tonex and HeadRush MX5 I’ve had for a few months. I’m just dipping my toes back in the electric guitar “water” since I got a new electric about 1 year ago.

What’s the verdict on the Mission Engineering pedal? Is there a better choice to pair with a KPP? Is this a quality piece of gear?

My experience with the Virus synthesizer, a legend for legions of good reasons, has shown me CK understands musicians’ needs better than virtually any other musical equipment designer in the industry today. I tried a HeadRush MX5 and loved the UI, but found myself endlessly tweaking rigs in search of satisfying guitar tone. Then I ordered a Tonex. With downloaded Amalgam captures of a Vox AC30, I had amazing tone. But, the device doesn’t have enough effects (only compression and reverb) and I find myself wiring it to my Virus to leverage the synth’s effects, and playing through a DI to avoid noise. Neither the HeadRush nor the Tonex feels like a piece of “pro” gear.

The KPP seems just right for my needs - truly an all-in-one solution for incredible guitar tone, built into a small form factor with Kemper-level build quality. I can’t wait to try it. I want a wah pedal of similar grade construction and functionality.

• The Mission pedal is my least expression pedal on the market. I don't like the feel or travel. It is literally a Dunlop Crybaby housing without the wah circuit so is massively over priced for what it is. However, as it is a crybaby it has proven itself to be sturdy and able to take gig abuse for nearly half a century. Also, as it's a crybaby it does tend to develop the issue where the pedal starts to droop over time. This can be tightened to a degree but mine has reached the stage where it won't tighten anymore.

On the other hand loads of people love them so you'll need to make your own mind up

• I own 2 Yamaha FC7 expression pedals (I have 2 Yamaha keyboards).

Is the Mission Engineering better for Wah on a Kemper than the Yamaha? The FC7 is built in typical Yamaha fashion - like a battle tank. But, I understand that the travel is longer, which makes it harder to use a wah effect.

When I’ve rigged up a wah using filters on Virus synth controlled by the FC7, it didn’t feel right. That doesn’t say very much as I’ve never actually used a wah pedal nor a Kemper Profiler. Hence, I’m looking to those with greater experience than mine.

• I haven't tried the Yamaha but my favourite pedal is the Zoom FP2 which I would expect to be similar.

The big selling point of the Mission is that it feels just like a Wah with it's short travel. This is also it's biggest issue as it makes fine adjustments for volume, morph, delay levels etc more difficult. In my case I can easily get used to the longer travel for my wah with a little practice but the limitations of the wah travel for.other things are much more difficult to overcome.

My Mission will be going in the bin soon and I will definitely be replacing it with another Zoom. But, again, this all comes down to personal taste so the only way to know is try both yourself.