How do you eliminate string squeak on Bass guitar?

• I have a nice bass tone for a track using the DI as parallel and some boosted mids, however, I am getting pretty strong string squeak when sliding to notes (which I have to do). What is the best option to correct this?

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Flatwounds don't squeak, but will change the tone.

You probably already know this, but you can try different amounts of finger pressure and speed. More pressure tends to reduce the finger noise, but it has limits and side effects. You can finesse it with pressure and speed of the slide to improve the noise. YMMV

• Thanks guys! I'm not familiar with flatwound strings that much. I will look into those and see if they can help.

Harder pressure is helping but it's still present . My hands are usually dry all the time but worse with the cold weather right now. I don't know if that is contributing to the problem.

• You could try a De Esser and tune out (or at least reduce) the squeaks.

I was thinking about that but then I might have to go slice up the track all the way through and cut volume or EQ those parts out anyway which is PIA.

• You can eliminate squeaks by improving your left hand technique. it´s not the strings that are squeaking, it´s the way you move your finger. In the beginning it seems very hard to to, but it gets automatic after a while.

Here is a very good demonstration:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And if you can´t lift your finger, because you want to slide up to a note, and hear the slide without squeaking, this method works:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• But yes. Work on your technique too. Fix it at the source.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I never bought strings for a bass before since I only got one bass recently. Four strings for $35? WTF? I'm going back to guitar. :D

I do like the warm tone of the flatwounds I hear in some google reviews. The other thing is, my low E seems to be much lower than the A, and A too low compared to the D, etc. I have 45 -105 on them now so maybe going 50-100 will be better for me.

• How does the same note sound across the strings, e.g. E string fretted at sixth fret, compared to A string fretted at first?

The depth of the low end drops too much for me as you go to higher strings. The note on E will be deep and sustained then the same note on A will be less deep and less sustain. I can keep the sustain across strings the same using a compressor, but the difference between string tone to me is like the sizes of the strings are too far apart from each other. That's the best I can explain it.

• You can change strings to chase after this phenomenon. In my experience, it will help somewhat but never solve the problem. I typically use 40-90 string sets FWIW. This improves things and gives an added benefit of faster transient response of the strings. Lighter strings excite(pluck) and de-excite(damp) faster that larger strings. This can bring the possibility of crisper, faster response. Words are failing me here, but I hope you get the point.

I've found that the depth/volume difference for the same note between different strings is mainly due to the pickup height, the monitor and the room. Lowering the pickups tends to help as well as tilting them. Further away on the thicker strings vs the lighter ones. A monitor able to reproduce lows properly provides the most improvement regarding this. Smaller ported cabs tend to make this worse. Volume, usually a lot of it, can create standing waves in the room which can also impact this. In the end, different size strings on a bass create different harmonics that have to be handled properly to fully solve this. The way your 'system' responds to the differing harmonic content caused by all these parameters is the root cause.

Good luck, this can be an adventure.

• The depth of the low end drops too much for me as you go to higher strings. The note on E will be deep and sustained then the same note on A will be less deep and less sustain. I can keep the sustain across strings the same using a compressor, but the difference between string tone to me is like the sizes of the strings are too far apart from each other. That's the best I can explain it.

Based on my limited experience, I think this is just the name of the game with bass instruments. The two basses I've had both had the same going for them.

If that is the case, it's a matter of adapting playing style and expression to this. Happy to hear from more experienced bassist on this subject.

• You can change strings to chase after this phenomenon. In my experience, it will help somewhat but never solve the problem. I typically use 40-90 string sets FWIW. This improves things and gives an added benefit of faster transient response of the strings. Lighter strings excite(pluck) and de-excite(damp) faster that larger strings. This can bring the possibility of crisper, faster response. Words are failing me here, but I hope you get the point.

I've found that the depth/volume difference for the same note between different strings is mainly due to the pickup height, the monitor and the room. Lowering the pickups tends to help as well as tilting them. Further away on the thicker strings vs the lighter ones. A monitor able to reproduce lows properly provides the most improvement regarding this. Smaller ported cabs tend to make this worse. Volume, usually a lot of it, can create standing waves in the room which can also impact this. In the end, different size strings on a bass create different harmonics that have to be handled properly to fully solve this. The way your 'system' responds to the differing harmonic content caused by all these parameters is the root cause.

Good luck, this can be an adventure.

Based on my limited experience, I think this is just the name of the game with bass instruments. The two basses I've had both had the same going for them.

If that is the case, it's a matter of adapting playing style and expression to this. Happy to hear from more experienced bassist on this subject.

Thanks guys! I wasn't sure if my beginner bass experience was getting the best of me or if this was something real bassist contend with. I'll see if those .50-.100 strings and pickup adjust will help me out not to feel this unwanted wide tonal experience.

• And no one mentioned the first thing to check, the setup. IHow’s the action? How’s the nut? Too much bow on the neck? If it’s only a few sqeaks you can always punch in and punch out when recording.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• The setup is perfect for me. I did do additional takes on the track and used a de-esser and a second noise gate to squash most of the squeaks but I couldn't eliminate it completely. On the slide parts, I played them using more of the lower finger instead of just the fingertips, which helped some. It's just a demo mix for myself but it is frustrating when I only have the issue on bass but not on the guitars.

Edited once, last by BayouTexan ().