MXR M222 Talk Box

• If it’s only for a couple of songs just use the Kemper Wah version. I only need it for Peter Frampton’s Show Me The Way so It’s not worth to effort and expense to add a physical talkbox.

Also, although you may be able to hit the real talkbox from the Kemper Speaker Out in terms of power Burkhard has been very clear that you should NEVER connect a grounded device to the speaker out as this might totally fry the Kemper. I presume the MXR in question is grounded therefore I wouldn’t risk it.

• If it’s only for a couple of songs just use the Kemper Wah version. I only need it for Peter Frampton’s Show Me The Way so It’s not worth to effort and expense to add a physical talkbox.

Also, although you may be able to hit the real talkbox from the Kemper Speaker Out in terms of power Burkhard has been very clear that you should NEVER connect a grounded device to the speaker out as this might totally fry the Kemper. I presume the MXR in question is grounded therefore I wouldn’t risk it.

Why would you want to put a talkbox between poweramp and speaker (or any pedal, for that matter)? =O . The couple of time I had used one was in front of the amp, after the gain pedals

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• That’s how the original Talk Box worked. When they were released players used to need a separate amp just for the talkbox. The sound of the amp was fed into the talkbox and the box’s speaker sent the sound up a tube into the players mount. The player shaped the sound by placing the tube in their mouth and the result was sent back via a mic. I haven’t looked at the MXR but as the OP says it isn’t suitable for amps over 100w I presume it works in the same way.

• That’s how the original Talk Box worked. When they were released players used to need a separate amp just for the talkbox. The sound of the amp was fed into the talkbox and the box’s speaker sent the sound up a tube into the players mount. The player shaped the sound by placing the tube in their mouth and the result was sent back via a mic. I haven’t looked at the MXR but as the OP says it isn’t suitable for amps over 100w I presume it works in the same way.

In this case you just need a loop in X, after the (virtual) amp.

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• Just checked the manual. the MXR is self contained (like the Rocktron Banshee) rather than the traditional Heil Talkbox and therefore doesn’t go between the amp and speaker. Therefore the amp power rating is irrelevant. I don’t see any mention of not being suitable for amps upto 100w in the manual or on the website so I don’t know where the OP got that bit from.

• yes, basically Dunlop have 2 Talk Box models: the Hail tb, old style, that Must be used between a Power Amp and a Cabinet. It is 8ohm and it's suggested to avoid the use with 100watt Amps.

It works like a speaker 8ohm 100watt. It actually is a speaker witout the come, just the driver.

So It doesn't need any power supply.

The more recent one, liked as video in the #1 post is like the banshee (or others) a preamp pedal to put in line before the amp input or in its loop fx if you prefer. It's more simple to connect, like a normal stompbox. It requires power suppier. No need to care about amp power or volume.

• (Heehhe, sorry guys if I Spam here this private video)

Yesterday was the Birthday of one my best friends,

this is the wideo I've recorded to send him on whatsapp... Last Year.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

What you hear is nothing more than the Dunlop HT-1 the Hail Talk Box (the old one) with no Mic, no PA, Nothing.

The pure Amp in Your Mouth sound.

And it is LOUD! (compare its level to my voice at th end)

Now, Back in Topic, one of the cons of this model is that it Shut Off the cabinet when engaged,

That's why it's also suggested a second, and even more complicated way to connect it,

but Honestly, even if on a Loud Live Stage, I've neved had any problem to ''monitor'' my sound.

On the other side I've also had the Danelctro DTB1 ''free speach'' and it was a Mess!

Lots of undesirables Feedback/Larsen even at low volumes and You Never listen exactly what you're doing.

(but It was a good, one channel, dirty practice amp for bedroom)

Never had the chance to test the ''new'' M222 mentioned, but it looks like a great compromise.

• Thank you all for all your explanations and tips. It's clear for me that it's a rather complicated pedal and also not very useful in many songs. However I don't mind the cost of such a pedal even if it's neccesary to have for just one distinctive song as It's my life, from Bon Jovi. On the other hand, if you need a wah fx, then you you suffice with just this pedal for both fx. And more, you have more wah control with your mouth.

So, the question is, what is the best option for using with the profiler, specifically in terms of wiring, connections and its placing in the routing.

• With the original talk box I used to use a second amp dedicated to the talk box, oh the days of my teeth rattling. lol

The more modern way with the built in preamp and speaker is much easier.

Personally these days I use the Boss VO-1 for the very rare time I use this style of effect. It’s a discontinued pedal but you can still find them used.

TC Helicon also make a talk box pedal.