P-Player - No Power Button - No Problem

• These inline barrel jack power switches work perfectly. Just don't go too cheap because the most cheap ones don’t fit quite right and their quality is all over the place. These are perfect:

"No socks? No problem."

Edited once, last by BillyNoSocks ().

• thanks, it seems it's not available in italy, this looks pretty much the same:here

looks right. just make that the connections are snug when you combines them. they shouldn't be loose but also shouldn't take much force to connect. the cheap ones had both of those issues.

"No socks? No problem."

• no power switch = one less point of failure.

I dont own the player so can anyone tell me, does it have to be properly shut-down, like the rack?

I see what you mean but, you could also argue that no power switch puts significantly more wear & tear on the power jack itself. I mean, there isn't even one of those little cord holder brackets so you can't accidentally pull the power out or heaven forbid it being mistakenly torn out in a bad way.. There is no way to shut it down other than pulling the mains. That's the official protocol but to be honest, it's a little unsettling. :/

But either way, I said it was no problem. ;)

Having the switch isn't only more convenient for me, it also gives me a little peace of mind. I grew up my whole life being told not to plug and unplug things that are in an "always on" state. Also don't plug & unplug speakers if the amp is on, etc. If there were engineered steps to make sure that the power module part of the board won't ever short or or arc or do anything else wacky when current is suddenly supplied or cut, Kemper sure didn't mention it in any documentation. I realize we aren't dealing with scary voltages or anything but having the add-on switch just makes me feel much better. :)

"No socks? No problem."

• Some of those little molded inline switches use extremely thin wire and might cause enough voltage drop to be a problem. I just went through this while setting up a RaspberryPi based computer. With the power supply (USB) plugged directly in it worked fine. With the switch (looks very similar to the one in the photo) in line it crashes repeatedly. Digital devices can be intolerant of marginal power.

I dont own the player so can anyone tell me, does it have to be properly shut-down, like the rack?

Nope. It is designed to be pedal board specific. I have my entire board plugged to a wall-switched outlet when at home and I just flip the wall-switch for on-off. No issues. Works the same as everything else on the board.

• Some of those little molded inline switches use extremely thin wire and might cause enough voltage drop to be a problem. I just went through this while setting up a RaspberryPi based computer. With the power supply (USB) plugged directly in it worked fine. With the switch (looks very similar to the one in the photo) in line it crashes repeatedly. Digital devices can be intolerant of marginal power.

The cheaper ones I first tried had this problem along with numerous others. The current ones are just perfect.

"No socks? No problem."

• I see what you mean but, you could also argue that no power switch puts significantly more wear & tear on the power jack itself.

Having the switch isn't only more convenient for me, it also gives me a little peace of mind. I grew up my whole life being told not to plug and unplug things that are in an "always on" state.

Fair enough on the first point. Constant plugging and unplugging could be an issue down the road. I'm super careful with my laptop power supply since they are quite similar and tend not to be too robust.

That inline switch as far as Tron is concerned is electrically the same thing as plugging and unplugging the power cable minus the wear and tear on the jack and plug. It doesn't spare the unit from getting hit with a jolt of electricity. Still a neat idea.

I don't own the player so can anyone tell me, does it have to be properly shut-down, like the rack?

No. You unplug it and it's off until you plug it back in. There is a small boot up time. Much less that the toaster/rack.