The best way to manage output level

• To each their own.

I don't necessarily agree with burning the X slot for a graphic eq to stand out in a mix or for solo boost. At least for me - I *never* use 5 slots in one performance. If I need a solo boost, I create a slot specifically for that purpose. Morph can be used for something else and no matter what slot I'm on - my solo sound is one button press away.

On stage - you have no idea what the audience does or doesn't hear. EQ'ing from the stage doesn't work (at least it never has for me). Balancing a FOH mix is the sound engineer's job. He or she is in a far better position with better tools to adjust on the fly.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• To each their own.

I don't necessarily agree with burning the X slot for a graphic eq to stand out in a mix or for solo boost. At least for me - I *never* use 5 slots in one performance. If I need a solo boost, I create a slot specifically for that purpose. Morph can be used for something else and no matter what slot I'm on - my solo sound is one button press away.

On stage - you have no idea what the audience does or doesn't hear. EQ'ing from the stage doesn't work (at least it never has for me). Balancing a FOH mix is the sound engineer's job. He or she is in a far better position with better tools to adjust on the fly.

I do something similar, having go to rigs for leads. When playing lead I’d never need 4 post amp effect slots, certainly not at the same time, so the EQ volume works in my case. I like being able to see, for example that the rig has the eq volume set above zero a certain number of tics, which if zero would make the rig otherwise match the volume with the others. Adjusting rig Volume would achieve the same thing though.

However the more rigs I need to use, the less number of effects I probably need to keep in a single rig. My guess is that the guitarists that struggle with volume issues the most are the guitarists that have the most rigs. On the other hand, when I run out of effects slots, it’s a symptom of trying to cram more than necessary into a single rig.

Since I like delays and verbs in the dedicated blocks, I use up the five rigs in a performance first. If I need added versatility, I press the rig’s footswitch again for a morphed version. Since almost all the effects have a mix knob, I can effectively use morph to toggle any effect via the mix setting. This gives me 10 combinations within no more than two presses of a front row switch. If more versatility is needed, only then do I bother assigning effect toggles to the second row foot switches.

• This gives me 10 combinations within no more than two presses of a front row switch.

As I said, to each his own. For me - the thought of having 10 sounds...heck even just 5..... for one song gives me a nervous tick.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I do something similar, having go to rigs for leads. When playing lead I’d never need 4 post amp effect slots, certainly not at the same time, so the EQ volume works in my case. I like being able to see, for example that the rig has the eq volume set above zero a certain number of tics, which if zero would make the rig otherwise match the volume with the others. Adjusting rig Volume would achieve the same thing though.

However the more rigs I need to use, the less number of effects I probably need to keep in a single rig. My guess is that the guitarists that struggle with volume issues the most are the guitarists that have the most rigs. On the other hand, when I run out of effects slots, it’s a symptom of trying to cram more than necessary into a single rig.

Since I like delays and verbs in the dedicated blocks, I use up the five rigs in a performance first. If I need added versatility, I press the rig’s footswitch again for a morphed version. Since almost all the effects have a mix knob, I can effectively use morph to toggle any effect via the mix setting. This gives me 10 combinations within no more than two presses of a front row switch. If more versatility is needed, only then do I bother assigning effect toggles to the second row foot switches.

I agree that using it this way gives plenty and versatility. As with most things, after a time you refine and refine and like Rufus I now rarely use all 5 slots in a performance so with morph, plenty of options for most occasions.

There is a risk that "just because you can" means I feel many people use multiple rigs per song just because they have that option rather than its needed. Im sure there are exceptions and I play pretty simple straight ahead rock so less of a need, but even so....