Looking for FRFR recommendations outside of Kemper Kab for use with Powered Profiler

• Kones are brandband speakers and CK said you can try and put them into opened-back cabinets.

There are Jensen's imprints and, IMO, it could be better to tend towards Fender's sounds with opened solutions.

On the other hand, you're right to underline sound's incidences in this configuration (there's bass boost too ;) )

I think you mean broadband? Nevertheless, I've actually been wanting to try some of my rigs in an open back because they aren't quite as "3-d" so to speak. If the cone can survive an open-back I might be taking a saw to one of my kab backs. I'm off to the shop!!! Thanks!

Edited 2 times, last by dfdfan ().

• Agreed - my thought is to get 1 or 2 speakers, put it in a 4x12 ( for cosmetic looks only )

Wish I could find the Kemper Speakers either used or online with a sale or something, not exactly the cheapest speakers and can't seem to find them anywhere other than ordering them direct through Kemper.

I completely agree! In my experience there is basically zero secondary market for the Kones, even the PowerKabs are hard to find. However… considering that I just paid just shy of $500 after tax & shipping for the pair of Celestion G12H30(55Hz) speakers I X-ed in my 1960BC with the stock 25W Greenbacks — they're not by any means a terrible value. Granted, they are "Legacy" products and of a higher-end model line, but you could load an entire 4x12" for not much more with all the benefits that FRFR gives you and have the genuine look & feel of a traditional 4x12" cab. Love my Mission GM-Io FRFR 1x12, and it emulates the sound of larger cabs very well but, to my senses (here I distinctly do not single out hearing), there is still a different feel being adjacent to a traditional 4x12".

I currently only play at home, but, bankruptcy notwithstanding, I will always own at least one 4x12" cab and one 100W Tube head because it still has its own unique character and charm and is fun and rewarding to play — if for no other reason than all those greats we wish to emulate who did it that way before us. 8)

• Just one more thing to add....

I previously had 2 kabinets that I ran with my powerhead....and 2 sounded no different to 1. Because the impedance was higher, the volume dropped so I had to drive the amp harder but there was no difference in sound or projection, even when I placed the Kabinets slightly apart.

My point here is, I suspect you will get very little sound difference and therefore if just for looks, I would load in dummy speakers rather than sepnd loads on 4 Kones...

• If I were to ever go back to 412s, I'd do 2 kones on the left and 2 non FR speakers on the right with indy inputs for each side and run a cab switcher. If you're going to have to deal with the weight, might as well have options.