How to use Distortion Sense

• Right. That's why I'm saying, I get how it works. My question now is, for the DS values, if I increase them to bring them back to zero, I'm assuming I'll then need to go into my gain for that rig and turn it down a bit to get the overall sound/gain back to where it was before I turned up the DS levels, correct? Similarly, with the clean sense changes, if I turn those up or down, then I'll need to adjust the rig volume in the other direction to get everything back to the same overall volume as before, correct?

More or less correct.

I think for clean sens, the answer depends on the rigs in question, since it functions differently (and has a different purpose).

I'd go through the rigs and see the DS value most commonly used (maybe within some suitably small interval, it might not mean a lot in the grand scheme of things), and use that as the overall value for whatever guitar you normally use (lock and save the input section). Then adjust the DS value and gain of the other rigs accordingly. Less work that way.

Then you may still need to look at the CS parameter. use your ears.

By the way, while the DS is an offset to the gain value, they don't use the same scale. So +3 on DS is not the same as +3 on the gain knob, so use your ears here also.

• Right. That's why I'm saying, I get how it works. My question now is, for the DS values, if I increase them to bring them back to zero, I'm assuming I'll then need to go into my gain for that rig and turn it down a bit to get the overall sound/gain back to where it was before I turned up the DS levels, correct? Similarly, with the clean sense changes, if I turn those up or down, then I'll need to adjust the rig volume in the other direction to get everything back to the same overall volume as before, correct?

Pretty much.

PIA, I know....but I can think of no other way to get the consistency you need.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Cool. Thanks guys. I'll now begin an hour-long episode of cursing the previous owner of this Kemper while I reset the DS, gains and rig volumes. But at least going forward I'll have the unit set up the way it should be for multiple guitars. Appreciate the help!

• Cool. Thanks guys. I'll now begin an hour-long episode of cursing the previous owner of this Kemper while I reset the DS, gains and rig volumes. But at least going forward I'll have the unit set up the way it should be for multiple guitars. Appreciate the help!

Dude - TBH with you I get your confusion as I have never really understood Distortion and clean sense - I probably could if I bothered to read about it, but...and here's my point....do you really need to adjust it?

I have never touched mine in 9 years. TBH I tend to use different guitars for different songs and so I have the rigs set up for those. For example, I use a Les Paul and a White Falcon. I have a performance set up for the Gibson and one of the Gretsch, but that also includes other changes to those songs.

In my other bands, my backup guitars are so similar its not needed. So only really if you switch between a single coil and humbucker equipped would it really show up....perhaps my bands are too one dimensional :)

If I broke a string, I would switch performances OR I would put up with the slight mismatch for a set. For me, it would not be worth having 4 performances to cross cover any issues....does that make ( distortion) sense?

In my mind its an over engineered solution ( one of the rare cases in the Kemper). I would just really think about if you need to re-set everything for that rare occurance..

Just my opinion...

• It isn’t that he wants to mess with DS. Someone already did, and did it wrong. It’s making work for him to correct it.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Yeah, for me, I either need this distortion sense thing to be set up the right way, or I need to duplicate all of my performances/rigs and then adjust them for my 2nd guitar. I'm one of the rare breeds that only carry 2 guitars to gigs. For the longest time, I was only carrying one. But I need a backup given the nature of our shows (weddings and events). I'm using a Guthrie Govan Signature Charvel as my main, and my second is a Suhr Custom Classic S Antique with pickups that aren't as hot as the Guthrie. So if I break a string on the Guthrie, I need to be able to switch to the Suhr and have it be pretty close to the Guthrie in terms of the gains. So the only way for me to do that is either getting the DS fixed, or setting up an entirely new set of performances. I feel like the DS is the best option and will be more efficient in the end because if going forward, I want to make a change to one of my rigs' effects or whatever, I'll only need to make it in one as opposed to both sets of performances if I don't use the DS.

• Yeah, for me, I either need this distortion sense thing to be set up the right way, or I need to duplicate all of my performances/rigs and then adjust them for my 2nd guitar. I'm one of the rare breeds that only carry 2 guitars to gigs. For the longest time, I was only carrying one. But I need a backup given the nature of our shows (weddings and events). I'm using a Guthrie Govan Signature Charvel as my main, and my second is a Suhr Custom Classic S Antique with pickups that aren't as hot as the Guthrie. So if I break a string on the Guthrie, I need to be able to switch to the Suhr and have it be pretty close to the Guthrie in terms of the gains. So the only way for me to do that is either getting the DS fixed, or setting up an entirely new set of performances. I feel like the DS is the best option and will be more efficient in the end because if going forward, I want to make a change to one of my rigs' effects or whatever, I'll only need to make it in one as opposed to both sets of performances if I don't use the DS.

I always take 2 guitars as well. Are the differences THAT significant between the 2 that for an emergency you need new performances? That was my point.

Conversely, others seem to have preset inputs for their guitars but some it must be possible.

Another option is to add a gain stomp to each slot that is unselected and just add IF you had to change guitar. Yes bit more tap dancing BUT it is only in the case of an emergency.

• Thanks for all the help guys. I've re-done my rigs to have all distortion and clean sense set to zero, and then just rebalanced the gains and volumes as needed. Took a little work, but at least now everything is set up right. I created the 2 input presets that I needed and everything now works as I'd hoped. It was worth it in the end.

• Thanks for all the help guys. I've re-done my rigs to have all distortion and clean sense set to zero, and then just rebalanced the gains and volumes as needed. Took a little work, but at least now everything is set up right. I created the 2 input presets that I needed and everything now works as I'd hoped. It was worth it in the end.

Great to hear!! :)