Frequency curve loader

• What would be really useful is some form of EQ curve loader. I did an EQ match on Fabfilter yesterday between a really great pro recorded guitar sound that I have and my current main Kemper rhythm patch. I was able to replicate the main peaks and cuts using four Studio EQ blocks after the cab, but it would be great if I could just load a curve from my PC into Rig Manager to be more accurate.

• Official Post

you could start with an IR, use Fabfilter to do the EQ matching, then use Voxengo Deconvolver to create a sweep of the IR + Fabfilter,
    turn this into an IR (again, with deconvolver) and import this IR into Rig Manager.

Since just disabling the CABINET activates CabDriver, you'll have to import the 'starting point' IR first, and then record your track to be matched with FabFilter.

• I went down the EQ Tone Match IR rabbit hole years ago. The problem is that you end up with the sound on the recording. Yes, it sounds great in that recording, but sounds horrible in others. That's because that sound is EQ'd for that song. Not anything else.

True, but in my use case it's a musical project that I'm putting together a touring version of, so sounding like the main rhythm sound of the album is absolutely desirable.

you could start with an IR, use Fabfilter to do the EQ matching, then use Voxengo Deconvolver to create a sweep of the IR + Fabfilter,
    turn this into an IR (again, with deconvolver) and import this IR into Rig Manager.

Since just disabling the CABINET activates CabDriver, you'll have to import the 'starting point' IR first, and then record your track to be matched with FabFilter.

This is great, I'll definitely try it. Thanks so much for the detailed answer.

• you could start with an IR, use Fabfilter to do the EQ matching, then use Voxengo Deconvolver to create a sweep of the IR + Fabfilter,

Thanks for the detailed guide, but to avoid all these steps, it would be nice to have a tonematching function inside the Kemper!

profiler + tonematching = killer machine ever! :love: <3

• Official Post

Thanks for the detailed guide, but to avoid all these steps, it would be nice to have a tonematching function inside the Kemper!

profiler + tonematching = killer machine ever! :love: <3

I've been involved with tonematching ever since Steinberg's Freefilter was released in the late 90s.

I did a lot of tonematching, even commercially for the AxeFx, that was before the first PROFILER hit the market.

It is on paper/in theory a very promising field, but it falls ultimately short in the real world. mainly for two reasons:
    1) the sound of the reference only makes sense in that context, it was specifically shaped to fit together with the other, also heavily modified parts to create a working mix.
    2) technology won't 'save you', but your ears might - when users apply tone-matching, they often go for the highest resolution the tonematching EQ has to offer (mistake #1) and set the match or mix percentage to 100% (mistake #2)
    one can learn a lot from the way guitar tracks were eq'ed, but slavishly following this example (full resolution, full strength) is not the way.
    Generally, a 'softer' eq curve sounds much more pleasant then a 120 band zig zag line trying to 'fix' every single discrepancy.
    Also, just applying a bit of the EQ strength pretty much always sounds way more musical than simply turning it up to maximum.

There are a few things that become apparent when listening to the results: guitar tracks typically have way too much bass and not enough treble to cut through.
    Something that's easily fixed by a highpass filter and a very broad, nice sounding high frequency boost (I like Pultec-style plugins for that, some sound better than others)

• Thanks Don. Mr. Peter Weihe (Some of you might know him) did talk at the "Frankfurt Musikmesse" about a similar topic in the good old days. Bottom line was: Do not try to make your Amp sound like on a record. On the record you are hearing a processed signal (MIC/Mic Preamp/EQ/...).

• Bottom line was: Do not try to make your Amp sound like on a record. On the record you are hearing a processed signal (MIC/Mic Preamp/EQ/...).

👍

It’s amazing how ‘bad’ some of the most revered guitar tones sound in isolation.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Thanks Don. Mr. Peter Weihe (Some of you might know him) did talk at the "Frankfurt Musikmesse" about a similar topic in the good old days. Bottom line was: Do not try to make your Amp sound like on a record. On the record you are hearing a processed signal (MIC/Mic Preamp/EQ/...).

Why though? You may not want to make a valve amp sound like a recorded tone because it then has to go back through a mic and won't end up sounding the same, but a profiler direct to FOH, that will be in a full mix? Surely a pre-processed signal (in conjunction with your sound engineer) is exactly what you want.

• 👍

It’s amazing how ‘bad’ some of the most revered guitar tones sound in isolation.

This. One of Hendrix's iso tracks proved this to me. What's worse is when friends want me to rate a metal tone outside the mix. I puke all the time.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.