Tone is muddy (recording with Cubase 13)

• Hey guys!

Sorry if that question is stupid. I just started recording and am quite new to this.

My setup:

Kemper -> XLR stereo -> Focusrite scarlett 2i2 4th gen -> USB C -> PC (Cubase 13)

My problem:

I dont reamp, I created an own profile (with a distortion sound) that I wanted to record.

The sound that I record in cubase is muddier/ not as clear as when I play directly via the "direct monitor" function of the audio interface.

The audio interface records with 44.1khz, the cusbase setting is also at 44.1khz (16bit). I changed it to 192khz (24bit) and it got a little bit better.

How do I get the cound as clear as in the direct monitor mix?

Thanks for tips and help! :)

Edited once, last by Actovis ().

• I'm not sure but it may be because of the DAC of the interface. Direct Monitor is before the sound goes through the interface DAC. Maybe it gets muddied by the Focusrite. I'm using a MOTU and the tone is pretty close to exact into the DAW, and definitely not enough to notice from live to a mix. I know not all DAC converters are created equal.

Another thing to try is if you are sending a stereo signal into Focusrite then you want to Direct Monitor in Stereo and not Mono + Mono. I'm not sure your interface has that option.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Thanks for the answer. I buyed the focusrite extra, before I used a steinberg UR22 MKII and had the same problem. So do you think that when I swithc to spdif, the sound should be better?

• I'd suggest you just don't use Direct Monitoring unless you get a better interface--if you are dependant on an "exact" tone. Use latency correction in Cubase and set your tone according to what it sounds like in the DAW, and then go to Direct Monitoring to record not worrying if that tone is different. In the end, the audience hears what the DAW puts out.

I don't use SPDIF but I imagine the tone is exactly the same from output to output on the Kemper.

• Hi Actovis just a question... Isn't it an option for you to use the kemper as your audio interface?

Or at least try to see if the kemper as an audio interface sounds muddy.

Kemper Stage - Macbook Air 2017 - macOS Catalina 10.15.7 - Logic Pro X

• You can also look into proper gain staging between the Kemper, your interface, and the DAW levels. If one sound is lower than the other then you might perceive it as being more muddy when it's only lower.

• first of all thanks for all the answers :)

Michael_dk I used the monitor function included in cubase. I switched later between the monitor function in cubase and the direct monitiring from the focusrite.

Bakersounds I tried that in the very beginning but honestly I couldn´t mke it happen. Maybe I have to dig a little deeper in how that works... Dou you have any helpful links to threads or videos for that?

BayouTexan I´ll try that, the gain on fhe focusrite was off to very low and the gain at the profil was like 5-7/10. I´ll try changing that too.

DonPetersen so you think it´s something different than the conversion? I´m sorry for asking, english is not my mother language :D

• Try using just a regular guitar cable from the Kemper to the Focus rite and record that alone as a test, without any XLR.

The interface may be adding a preamp, thinking it's a mic signal due to the XLR.

• Are you using any plugins in Cubase? Check your channel strip settings. Are you recording onto a stereo track? Do you have any technology like Sonarworks/SoundID enabled? And most importantly: Are you listening at the same level between live playing and playback? You might also hear the resonance of the strings while tracking. Try with headphones. Is the difference still there?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I always use S/PDIF to save an unnecessary D/A conversion.

Preamps on the XLR ins of your interface are often unable to be defeated so you can get some noise there. If you are going out analog, the output volume from the Kemper should be up full (unity gain) and no boost at the interface.

The possibility of a mismatch between stereo signal input and Mono track or panning issues are also something to consider as musicmad pointed out above.

• first of all thanks for all the answers :)

Michael_dk I used the monitor function included in cubase. I switched later between the monitor function in cubase and the direct monitiring from the focusrite.

Bakersounds I tried that in the very beginning but honestly I couldn´t mke it happen. Maybe I have to dig a little deeper in how that works... Dou you have any helpful links to threads or videos for that?

BayouTexan I´ll try that, the gain on fhe focusrite was off to very low and the gain at the profil was like 5-7/10. I´ll try changing that too.

DonPetersen so you think it´s something different than the conversion? I´m sorry for asking, english is not my mother language :D

Bu are you monitoring on headphones, or on speakers? When recording, or when playing back?

• I tried that in the very beginning but honestly I couldn´t mke it happen. Maybe I have to dig a little deeper in how that works... Dou you have any helpful links to threads or videos for that?

Sure:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Kemper Stage - Macbook Air 2017 - macOS Catalina 10.15.7 - Logic Pro X

• So guys, I tried a lot and got the most comfortable wirth the connection via usb from Kemper to pc. Thank you for all your help and ideas!

Finally I tried with a normal guitar cable, had the same issue. The volume level was pretty decent.

musicmad I had no plugins or even effects active in cubase. I recorded stereo via two input channels (left and right), the sound didnt change when I muted one channel exept the volume. There was no other technology than cubase active. Live playing and playback had the same volume, headphones also made no difference.

Michael_dk I use the KRK V6 as monitors, while recording and playback, I tried different setups with my headphones (akg k141) but the result was the same.

Bakersounds That video helped me pretty much for the beginning, I searched for some other videos and now the usb is (at the moment) my preferred method.

Maybe that´ll change in the future but we´ll see.

Thanks again everyone!

• I use the KRK V6 as monitors, while recording and playback

It can be problematic - for some - to monitor on speakers while recording. Or rather, the direct sound of the pick hitting the strings can skew the perception of the tone, making the recorded tone seem more dull/lifeless. That's why I asked.

But you say you've tried using headphones as well.

• It can be problematic - for some - to monitor on speakers while recording. Or rather, the direct sound of the pick hitting the strings can skew the perception of the tone, making the recorded tone seem more dull/lifeless. That's why I asked.

But you say you've tried using headphones as well.

Very true. Our auditory perception of any sound is strongly influenced by the part of the sound that arrives first to our ears which will be the pick attack - which is particularly prominent at modest SPL. Enclosed headphones help (to some degree at least) screen out the pick sound which gives the sound a bright attack before the processed sound from the monitors or even the sound from of an amp some meters away arrives at the ear.

• Very true. Our auditory perception of any sound is strongly influenced by the part of the sound that arrives first to our ears which will be the pick attack - which is particularly prominent at modest SPL. Enclosed headphones help (to some degree at least) screen out the pick sound which gives the sound a bright attack before the processed sound from the monitors or even the sound from of an amp some meters away arrives at the ear.

Huh - I never thought about the immediacy of the pick attack being a factor in this instance, I mostly thought about it in terms of attack and frequency, but it makes a lot of sense. Especially considering the Hass effect.