I'm unsatisfied with the Double Tracker/Doubler

• I have the Neural Archetype Petrucci plugin and the doubler feature in it is phenomenal. I have tried the double tracker, and the stereo/delay/phase widener and I cannot get even close to what the doubler in the Neural plugin can do. The kemper sounds mushy and muddy, like its stacking on top of itself. Any suggestions? This is my only disappointment with my kempers. I have a rack & a stage, a kemper kab and 5" studio monitors.

• Go to Best Answer
  • I've never had any mushy sounds using those options, but not all effects work with all profiles. Just try another profile.

If you really want the best doubler/widening effect for a single guitar then the Eventide MicroPitch pretty much stands alone at the top. It's my favorite for this sort of thing. Otherwise, tracking two guitars or more is the better option.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I've never had any mushy sounds using those options, but not all effects work with all profiles. Just try another profile.

If you really want the best doubler/widening effect for a single guitar then the Eventide MicroPitch pretty much stands alone at the top. It's my favorite for this sort of thing. Otherwise, tracking two guitars or more is the better option.

Its for a live application. I've tried all different kinds of profiles. Have you tried the doubler from Neural DSP? I think its possibly better than the Eventide.

• Its for a live application. I've tried all different kinds of profiles. Have you tried the doubler from Neural DSP? I think its possibly better than the Eventide.

I have not. I like the Eventide because of the included delays with the doubling and chorusing, and the delays don't get mudded or phased out. I have the stereo Mimiq Doubler also but that works best using two separate amps at the same time. Unless you are playing in a relatively small venue with limited audience, like a classroom or other, mono is the way to go for live.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• the only thing i don't like about it is there seems to be an odd priority for the left side of the audio. no matter my settings, the left side is louder. it's not an even 50/50 pan. i have a hearing loss so i swapped the headphones to the the opposite ears and it's definitely still more sound on the that one side. that being said, i do enjoy playing with it. it isn't a disappointment to me all together.

"No socks? No problem."

• Official Post

the only thing i don't like about it is there seems to be an odd priority for the left side of the audio. no matter my settings, the left side is louder. it's not an even 50/50 pan. i have a hearing loss so i swapped the headphones to the the opposite ears and it's definitely still more sound on the that one side. that being said, i do enjoy playing with it. it isn't a disappointment to me all together.

The double tracker delays both sides differently, creating the impression for our brain that the signal moves more to the outer end of the stereo field. Our brain also perceives the wavefront arriving first as louder. That's just the way it works. There are other methods to broaden the stereo field, but at least some would introduce additional latency, and I'm sure most of us wouldn't like this.

You should consider the double tracker a good option when playing live.

• If the doubling makes one side seem louder, are you finding it noticeable in situations other than headphones? Headphones tend to exaggerate panning, as each ear is 100% isolated from hearing what is coming out of the other earphone. This is opposed to the standard speaker placement for stereo monitors or the mains in a PA system, where each ear still hears a decent amount of the opposite speaker. It might be non-existent or at least much less noticeable when playing through properly placed speakers.

• The double tracker works really well for me live in a single guitar band. Nothing is perfect and the Kemper is very similar to the TC Mimiq I used before.

Mine is just set to Looseness 4, Stereo 100%, Detune 0, Volume 0. It is not engaged for lead and clean sounds, which already have stereo elements anyway.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I like using a 28 ms delay and panning it hard left and have the other signal hard right. Makes things wider and fatter but doesn't swirl around. Not exactly like 2 guitars because to have that, you have to have the "other" guitarist playing before and after you at random intervals. There are things that can do that pretty close, but to do it for real the 2nd guitar has to be able to play slightly before you too. This could be done post but so far effects can't predict what you are going to play real time I don't think.

• the best Kemper result for me has been using the double tracker and delay. it fills things out a bit better and im not so distracted by the extra panning to the left. sounds good to me!

btw does anyone know how the MicroPitch plugin compares to the actual pedal?

"No socks? No problem."

• The double tracker delays both sides differently, creating the impression for our brain that the signal moves more to the outer end of the stereo field. Our brain also perceives the wavefront arriving first as louder. That's just the way it works. There are other methods to broaden the stereo field, but at least some would introduce additional latency, and I'm sure most of us wouldn't like this.

You should consider the double tracker a good option when playing live.

I recorded my Profiler using the Double Tracker.
    One side (the left one) IS louder. You can see and hear it in the recording program (Cubase 13 Pro).
    It IS louder, not only faster at the ear, which it is too.
    Is that intentionally or are my Profiler Head and my Stage broken?

• New
    • Official Post

I recorded my Profiler using the Double Tracker.
    One side (the left one) IS louder. You can see and hear it in the recording program (Cubase 13 Pro).

Please contact support and provide more details

• New
    • Official Post

If I have time I will do.

Until that you could search the Kemper Forum because that is a known problem and was discussed several times.

;)

As far as I can see, you are the only one who claims you can see the difference on a level meter. We can't. No one else mentioned it (as far as I can see). It's not true that _this_ is a known problem.

• I recorded my Profiler using the Double Tracker.

I can confirm because i experienced the same.