Do the clean/dist sense settings affect the profiling process?

• +1
    It's a while a go that I did profiling tests but then especially the Dist Sense had great effect on the level that went into my Champ. I know it does not really make sense but that was my experience! First the signal was way too hot for the input of the Champ, far from being unity gain with what comes out of my guitar and then I discovered that I had to turn down the Dist Sense.

I shy away from saying it (because the Kemper guys are always so quick on reproaching us that we don't read the manual) but I wish the manual could include a simple hands on instruction about how to set those input controls right and also about if and how those settings are relevant for profiling.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• I shy away from saying it (because the Kemper guys are always so quick on reproaching us that we don't read the manual) but I wish the manual could include a simple hands on instruction about how to set those input controls right and also about if and how those settings are relevant for profiling.

Heck, I'd like to better understand how they are relevant for playing. :huh: :D

• ^ The wiKPA reports a good lot (I believe everything) of what has been said about the subject. Check the last version out, this subject is one of those which have been reworked :D
    This, the two manuals and your ears should give you all you need :D :D

• This, the two manuals and your ears should give you all you need :D :D

I knew someone would take out this little hammer... ?(

On page 19 the manual explaines a little bit about the effects of the two SENS controls on playing, what Dlaut whants to know.

The manual says NOTHING about:

• the effect on profiling as asked for in the original post

• the effect on the level of the DIRECT OUT in profile mode, as mentioned in my post

• a simple, hands-on instruction on how to set the two SENS controls

Ok - after a while most of us did find a setting that works somehow. But why is it not possible to write something simple like:

Quote from fictional manual

"Set CLEAN SENS" so that with strong playing the LED gets orange but never red. Leave DIST SENS in it's normal <0.0> position for a start. Only turn it up to higher values when you think that all distorted rigs need more gain. Turn it down when you think that all distorted rigs should be cleaner. Store the input setting for each of your guitars."

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• ^ Well, the wiKPA says nothing about the influence of sens controls over profiling because this subject is not discussed anywhere. But it certainly talks a lot about "a simple, hands-on instruction on how to set the two SENS controls". Have you read it? :)

• But it certainly talks a lot about "a simple, hands-on instruction on how to set the two SENS controls". Have you read it? :)

I apreciate your work on this and when I am back home again I will certainly try to get your Wiki and read it. But should'n things like that be the first you stumble upon when you unbox your Kemp and open the manual?

BTW: is there any help on this problem in the WIKI?

www.audiosemantics.de

• There is one and a half pages in the manual about Volume compensation an Sense starting at p. 18.

"Speaking of clean sounds, let’s talk about perceived loudness in respect to gain level. With distorted
    sounds, the perceived loudness is often determined by the amount of distortion, not by the level of the
    guitar. On the other hand, the perceived loudness of an undistorted, purely clean sound often depends on
    the type of pickups of your guitar. Our level compensation feature for clean sounds might emphasize such
    differences in level.
    So, if you notice that your guitar is too low or too high in volume when you turn the gain down to zero, adjust
    the “Input Clean Sens” parameter. This adjusts the sensitivity of the clean input so that the clean sound
    has the same loudness as the distorted version. Setting the correct input sensitivity is crucial if you want to
    get the most out of your Kemper Profiling Amplifier."

Please let me know, if this is confusing to you.

The Distortion Sense will affect the Direct out, too.
    You should set it to zero, when you run your reference amp for profiling.

The Clean Sense has no impact to the Direct out.

• "Speaking of clean sounds, let’s talk about perceived loudness in respect to gain level. With distorted sounds, the perceived loudness is often determined by the amount of distortion, not by the level of the guitar. On the other hand, the perceived loudness of an undistorted, purely clean sound often depends on the type of pickups of your guitar. Our level compensation feature for clean sounds might emphasize such differences in level. So, if you notice that your guitar is too low or too high in volume when you turn the gain down to zero, adjust the “Input Clean Sens” parameter. This adjusts the sensitivity of the clean input so that the clean sound has the same loudness as the distorted version. Setting the correct input sensitivity is crucial if you want to get the most out of your Kemper Profiling Amplifier."
    Please let me know, if this is confusing to you.

So this is meant to be a "simple, hands-on instruction"?

www.audiosemantics.de

Edited 3 times, last by fretboardminer ().

• No, this is a complete explanation.
    When we added your issues or questions, this chapter would even get longer.

The simple one would be:
    "Set the Clean Sense so that clean sounds are as loud as distorted sounds. Be happy and don't ask for the technical background"

If you know how to write this chapter more clearly, and maybe more from a users perspective, we'll be happy to take it over.

• The simple answer to the initial question is:
    Clean Sense: No
    Distortion Sense: Yes

And in case you have many profiles of an amp (e.g. like in my profile packs) never change 'Distortion Sense' or you loose the exact amp settings.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• "Set the Clean Sense so that clean sounds are as loud as distorted sounds. Be happy and don't ask for the technical background"

Yep, that is simple and hands on! Indeed I do have some experience with writing (i.e. translating) manuals and IMHO every chapter or new topic in a manual should start with such a simple instructon. It might even be highlighted in the layout a bit. And then it can and should be followed by deeper background information.

I would recommend to leave away the second sentence ("Be happy ...") and proceed directly to the background Info.

What I still miss in the simple instruction is a short reference to the LED. I always thought that these colours give an indication of how to set the input level right like it is common in many digital audio devices. I thought this is done using the CLEAN SENS control and the balance between clean sounds and distorted sounds then is done by the DIST SENS? If not so then why does it need these colors in the LED? Anyway shouldn't there be some advice as to not set it too high in order not to overdrive the input?

If you know how to write this chapter more clearly, and maybe more from a users perspective, we'll be happy to take it over.

I will send you a paper letter with my diploma and references (MARSHALL, GROOVE TUBES, MICROSOFT, BLACK&DECKER ... ) when I am back from my tour next week. I would really be proud and thankful if I could work for the company that gave the world the only virus we really need plus now a real revolution in guitar amplification!

www.audiosemantics.de