Bringing the Kemper to rehearsal tonight...

• So after much hand wringing...the Kemper will makes its second appearance at a rehearsal this evening. For anyone interested, here's how I set it up for "performance". I'm using the Behringer FCB1010 and decided to limit my usuage to one amp profile (Morgan AC20) at 3 different gain levels and a combination of duplicate presets with effects enabled and effects toggled within rigs. I set up the FCB to send PC 1-5 on the bottom row and the top row to toggle effects 1-5 with the expression pedals controlling volume and wah. On the Kemper, I set up 5 rigs: #1 clean, #2 clean w/ trem, #3 clean with rotary, #4 dirty, and #5 very dirty. All the rigs have the same effects available (except rotary with is only on the rotary rig) in the following order: wah (engaged by moving the wah expression), EQ (always on), chorus (except rotary preset), flange, and trem (in the X slot). I'm missing a sample and hold and polyphonic octave effects which I will unfortunately have to incorporate in the loop at some point. Still a work in progress (I need to re-assgin 2 of the FCB switches to delay and/or reverb) but this will certainly get me through a rehearsal and potentially even a gig (though missing a few key effects). Monitoring via Alto TS112A (making its debut in rehearsal, not sure how the other guys are going to receive this as they are pretty traditional). Very excited to see how things go...

• Hey, I also use only the Morgan 20 ATM, with different FX though.
    I use (from left to right: Wah, Boost 1, Boost 2, Tremolo, Vibrato, Chorus, Delay, Reverb.
    I control Delay Mix and Wah with my FCB pedals
    You'll be pleasantly surprised about the versatility of this one rig.

I amplify through a Fender Mustang III Fed by the KPA's Monitor out. I never sounded punchier than through this setup.

• I ended up not using my Alto and instead going through the PA and the results were very good. Better than when I brought it out before and ran into a cabinet. Especially good sounding was the rotary effect. The Morgan AC20 probably wont be the only profile used in the future. Dont get me wrong it sounds very good, but for the cleaner patches I may revert to a JC120 or Twin Amp Factory profile. The octave effect I use in 2 spots wasn't missed but the sample and hold effect was in a big was and will have to figure out a way to add that to the KPA. This band is way into vintage/traditional gear and it got the nod (for now) so time to solidify the rig...

• also had my fist band-rehearsal last night with the kemper played over a yamaha DSR112 active speaker

sounded really really good, tighter sound than with my engl fireball over a framus 212 cab! i mostly played a ueberschall-rig from amp-factory tuned to my taste and guitar (ibanez mmm1 baritone)

we play sludge-metal tuned down to A standard and very very loud (drummer is an animal) so the yamaha speaker was on the limit (had to engage the lowpass to free some power), a second speaker would have been cool as I would have had more headroom, but it worked well enough

happy kemper here!

• I had my 2nd rehearsal with the KPA last Thursday. A bunch of inevitable issues related to hearing patches on my K10 for the 1st time after programming them with headphones (patch volumes all over the place, distortion/compression/treble set too high) but on the whole I'm starting to lean towards keeping it. The funny thing is my bandmates can't stop commenting on how cool it looks. They're pushing me to keep it on that basis alone. When I ask them how I sound, they shrug their shoulders and say I sound the same. Which I take as a sign of success, given that I'm still not done tweaking. Luckily we've scrapped the one song that needs a wah, which has been a problem for my KPA setup control-wise (during rehearsal I have to stop, unplug my expression pedal from one jack, put it in another and program the KPA to recognize it as a wah and then go through that whole process again when we move to the next song). I just hope an update is coming soon that fixes this limitation.

• I had my 2nd rehearsal with the KPA last Thursday. A bunch of inevitable issues related to hearing patches on my K10 for the 1st time after programming them with headphones (patch volumes all over the place, distortion/compression/treble set too high) but on the whole I'm starting to lean towards keeping it. The funny thing is my bandmates can't stop commenting on how cool it looks. They're pushing me to keep it on that basis alone. When I ask them how I sound, they shrug their shoulders and say I sound the same. Which I take as a sign of success, given that I'm still not done tweaking. Luckily we've scrapped the one song that needs a wah, which has been a problem for my KPA setup control-wise (during rehearsal I have to stop, unplug my expression pedal from one jack, put it in another and program the KPA to recognize it as a wah and then go through that whole process again when we move to the next song). I just hope an update is coming soon that fixes this limitation.

If you want a bit more control (though at the sacrifice of a lot of floor real estate), you should check out the Behringer FCB1010. I'm liking it enough that the Kemper dedicated board is going to have to be pretty darn affordable for me to be tempted. I got mine for under $100 used and they hold their value well on the used market.

what are you using for a midi pedal? My GCP has two expression pedal jacks, I can plug just one in and change what it does per patch through the GCP. So most songs can have a volume, but some can have a wah. Another thing you can do with this is set up a 'minimum volume' for each patch on the pedal, so on my lead patches I can have the pedal backed off volume be the same as my regular volume, then swell it into the full lead volume. It's a little smoother and cooler IMHO than just click WHAM a volume boost.