WHAT does Aliasing sound like?

• Take a rig, add as much gain*) as possible (Gain Max + boost in front of it or something like that) - play pinch harmonics on the high e-string on 14th++ fret. Listen. ;)

*) I really don't know why this aliasing stuff is an issue for so many, I mean... it sounds like crap with that much gain anyways... ?(

Now try that with a real tube amp and boost and see what you hear.

• Now try that with a real tube amp and boost and see what you hear.

Why should I? It sounds like crap anyways :D It was just the case where aliasing was (for me, maybe I was wrong) most obvious and the threadowner asked what it sounds like. For me the aliasing has never been an issue and 1.6.0 is at least 120% realer better :)

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Here is an example of the Aliasing sound (post is a copy from another thread)

Aliasing was a big problem for high gain profiles.

But it's now fixed - and that is great!

Here is a sound-sample I created yesterday:

High Gain Diezel Profie - All Gain LED's on
    (highest amount of gain the KPA can create)
    For the ones owning my Diezel Profiles it's: "DZL C4 17 151115P"
    This means channel 4 from the amp with gain max (17:00) and treble and presence settings high.

JEM Guitar (normal tuning) played on the high e string - single note on the 24th fret
    (this is the highest pitch the guitar can create)

No effects.

Here is an uncompressed wav fille:
    First KPA 1.5.2 then 1.6

Aliasing Test 1.5.2 and 1.6.0

I am very satisfied with the results!

Well done - thank you Kemper team. :thumbup:

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Apparently others are not (see the aliasing thread). Personally, never been an issue for me but I don't really do the high gain thing.

• The effect of it was very minimal and only occasional. Some profiles were better than others. I do understand what intermodulation is (cone cry/ghost notes too), and I have a number of tube amps and lots of experience with modelers in the past. Of course FW 1.6 really has solved the problem as far as I can tell so far.

• What I have experienced was described by pima1234 where two notes are played together. Try this with most any high gain profile: Hit a high G (15th fret high E string), at the same time, bend from a high E to a high D (15th fret B string, bend to an E then decrease bend to a D while still holding the high G). While the note is descending you will hear a phantom ascending note. Being that the G is held firm and the E is descending to a D there should be no ascending overtone anywhere in the equation, yet it is there. Not that I am complaining, I love everything about my KPA but I noticed this phantom tone in the situation I have described very early in my KPA usage.

• What I have experienced was described by pima1234 where two notes are played together. Try this with most any high gain profile: Hit a high G (15th fret high E string), at the same time, bend from a high E to a high D (15th fret B string, bend to an E then decrease bend to a D while still holding the high G). While the note is descending you will hear a phantom ascending note. Being that the G is held firm and the E is descending to a D there should be no ascending overtone anywhere in the equation, yet it is there. Not that I am complaining, I love everything about my KPA but I noticed this phantom tone in the situation I have described very early in my KPA usage.

As already explained in this thread that is inter modulation, you will hear exactly the same thing with a real amp, and is the whole point of double stop bends. It's nothing to do with aliasing, its just wave interference as the frequencies come close (you'll also hear the same thing when tuning using harmonics acoustically with no amp at all) but is a desirable effect much used by indie and noise guitarists to cause the guitar to "shriek".

• What I was hearing was higher notes that should not be there. Not the intermodulation. I'm used to that. I remember the first time I tried to copy that sound from the end of Working Man. I thought it was just the craziest thing.

Those unwanted overtones are now basically gone from the KPA. I can still hear a little in my AKG K240 Studio cans, but they have a strong bump in the highs. Need better headphones!