Black Goop session I and II

• Hi,

Last week I got a very flattering e-mail from Kemper. They want to include some of my profiles in the factory library. That's a real honor for me and they will use profiles from both the Black Goop Session and the Fenix Session

I got so jazzed up with this as I had decided to do Black Goop Session II which I just finished.

The first session was very much focused on profiles to use with humbucker equipped guitars and then foremost 335 style.

Since then I have received many compliments (thanks guys!), questions and a request for profiles made for single coil guitars.

I have checked out a number of YT clips of D-style amps with Strats and Teles and found a number that I thought were cool. Especially with Teles.

So I got a few strat style guitars and a Tele and once again borrowed some stuff to make it happen (thanks to the lenders).

After a few hours of fun and profiling noise I now have some really nice rigs for single coils. Funny thing is that the Strat sounds great with the Tele rigs but not necessarily the other way around. At least according to my ears.

After the first Black Goop session (R) I thought I probably could get some better profiles for jazz style guitar so while I was at it I did some some new profiles with my 335 style guitars that I think will work for me.

So, now I have to make sure they are optimized and saved properly and then I will post them somewhere. Probably at my own web site http://www.nermark.com

Cheers,

Mats N

• Stellar recognition for a well-earned contribution to all the KPA owners out there. Congratulations.

Been playing around with your original session rigs, and they are stellar. 'D' tones in spades. They are close as I'll ever get to Peter Lerche's fantastic tones in his youtube video. Thank you for your work.

Now if I can just nail Alex Lifeson's tone in the original Moving Pictures version of Limelight. I can't quite dial it in yet. Of course, that wasn't a D-type amp.

• Now if I can just nail Alex Lifeson's tone in the original Moving Pictures version of Limelight. I can't quite dial it in yet. Of course, that wasn't a D-type amp.

Hi Pima,

That sound almost like a challenge. :D
    Where can I hear that tune?

Cheers,

Mats N

• Great to hear, I'm becoming a Mats Nermak fanboy :love:

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• Stellar recognition for a well-earned contribution to all the KPA owners out there. Congratulations.

Been playing around with your original session rigs, and they are stellar. 'D' tones in spades. They are close as I'll ever get to Peter Lerche's fantastic tones in his youtube video. Thank you for your work.

Now if I can just nail Alex Lifeson's tone in the original Moving Pictures version of Limelight. I can't quite dial it in yet. Of course, that wasn't a D-type amp.

Limelight is one of my favorite tunes by Rush. This should help you dial in things pretty easily: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUj1A6hGy28

• Limelight is one of my favorite tunes by Rush. This should help you dial in things pretty easily: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUj1A6hGy28

Thanks for the link, Will!

That track is alomst 100% certainly double tracked with different amp and possibly different guitars. I don't think I can do that sound at this time. Maybe later?

Cheers,

Mats N

• Oh, its more than double tracked. There are clearly portions where at least 3 tracks can be heard: 2 distorted and a clean track mixed lower. A clear case where even live Lifeson isn't doing exactly what was recorded (and a prime example that one should not expect to be able to 100% match studio recorded and mixed material). I meant if one wants to get a ballpark tone similar, this isolated track would certainly allow one to get very close.

• Will is correct. Multi-tracked, for sure. It's a mix of a wide variety of tones. He was (at as can be seen in the video) his Marshall Club 'n' Country and his Hentocaster, but I doubt that's all we're hearing. Almost certainly a Plexi, but possibly also a Hiwatt (which I believe he was using live around that time).

Oddly enough, I have only ever been able to get the tone using a Wampler Sovereign into my very limited run JCA Circuits GR1.6 amp on a very precise setting, with a humbucker of course. Playing near the bridge helps too.

When I get some real time, I will dial this into the KPA.

• By the way, aren't those isolated guitar tracks cool?!

How are people accomplishing that?

It is awesome to hear how good Alex really is.