interesting - FW update

• Mullassiff, markly words, indeed,

maybe a bit over the top?

Come on: don't you think that there is a certain difference between telling us that there are no free (substantial) updates with the KPA (your first post in this thread) and - now I'm speculating - the fact that you stopped reading the list of updated items after "tone stacks"?

I do think that there are lots of improvements in FW 6 and I would not want to miss a single one of them. Maybe it wasn't what you wanted. Then again you always can tell what you are missing, can't you?

I agree: every user is free to decide wether to use a new version. It comes with a cost, though. You may loose your sound. Personally I wouldn't like this kind of fiddling around every time I getting too curious. I sympathize with your point that this is completely up to you and your readyness to catch up with the latest update. But if all you have to do is two minutes tweaking to get back - what is the use of such an update? Maybe I didn't understand your reasoning.

I'm quite enjoying the fact that I can rest assured with the KPA not only in that respect.

Kind regards

• @ the new guys here: the point is, that according to Mr. Chase the KPA is intrinsicly inferior to the Axe-fz (for the amp part). He has made any effort to bash the KPA since it started taking market share. But, at the same time, he's started since then to modify the Axe engine to make it behave more like a KPA. Practically, every improvement since the KPA is out has moved along the profiling line.

As for KPA users not getting free updates... Are you kidding?!

Last point: it's true that any user is free to update or not. But usually new FWs bring many new functions with them. Deciding to not update means missing them all, and in fact giving up the concept of 'frequent free upgrades' itself.

Do you not think Mr Kemper thinks the Axe is inferior to the KPA? Not defending any of Fractal's comments about the Kemper, but your post is a bit misleading. Fractal has a very long history of product refinement. The Tone Matching feature on the surface does seem inspired by the Kemper, but if you dig a bit deeper you will see folks had been EQ matching recorded tracks using Ozone and creating matching IRs to load into the AxeFX for quite some time before the KPA was released, they simply automated that process. It is very different from KPA Profiling which requires an Amp. There was the addition of something similar to the KPA pick attack which was very likely inspired by keeping up with the competition, but really that is not an exclusively unique feature of the KPA either. And you folks glossed over the other point I made that Fractal now allowsyou to choose the FW you want to run for amp modeling so you can update the unit to get other features but choose whether or not to take advantage of modeling enhancement.

To anyone new to this board, IMHO there are a handful of folks over here (not pointing at you viabcroce) with a bit of a grudge towards Fractal and TGP (more specifically to 1 or 2 members there) who use this board to voice their displeasure.

• Do you not think Mr Kemper thinks the Axe is inferior to the KPA? Not defending any of Fractal's comments about the Kemper, but your post is a bit misleading. Fractal has a very long history of product refinement. The Tone Matching feature on the surface does seem inspired by the Kemper, but if you dig a bit deeper you will see folks had been EQ matching recorded tracks using Ozone and creating matching IRs to load into the AxeFX for quite some time before the KPA was released, they simply automated that process. It is very different from KPA Profiling which requires an Amp. There was the addition of something similar to the KPA pick attack which was very likely inspired by keeping up with the competition, but really that is not an exclusively unique feature of the KPA either. And you folks glossed over the other point I made that Fractal now allowsyou to choose the FW you want to run for amp modeling so you can update the unit to get other features but choose whether or not to take advantage of modeling enhancement.

To anyone new to this board, IMHO there are a handful of folks over here (not pointing at you viabcroce) with a bit of a grudge towards Fractal and TGP (more specifically to 1 or 2 members there) who use this board to voice their displeasure.

It makes sense that you try to make your product as good as possible even if you have to take ideas from some other products. I think the issue for some people is that for them it does not make sense to publicly bash the main functionality of product, calling it inferior and then try to copy it, or take as many ideas from it as you can and use them to improve yours.

Saying that the tone Matching feature on the surface does seem inspired by the Kemper is falling a bit short. Maybe you are not aware of it, but as soon as the KPA was released they announced their "own profiling feature". Tone Matching was the result of it, and they did not go further because they could not since Kemper has a patent on it. After that there has been several others "upgrades" influenced by the KPA. The latest is obviously another one. It seems to work by basically using stats (achieved by some sort of profiling) to correct modeling on the fly.

• Do you not think Mr Kemper thinks the Axe is inferior to the KPA?

Hmm... How can I know what CK thinks?
    At least he doesn't stir the pot and downplays the competitor the way CC continues to do.
    I think that's the main grudge some ppl here bear against FAS.
    I personally couldn't care less.
    Development of the Axe goes on? Good for them, good for the advance of the technology itself.

Back to playing guitar/KPA. 8)

• but seems to me that alot of KPA users here are pretty jalous that they dont get free improved updates.

I usually stay out of these threads, with good reason, but your statement is so wrong, it's almost comical:

Christoph Kemper is the man behind the Access Virus synths and pretty much wrote the book on free updates.
    I wonder what your motivation could be to post something like this.

• I read my first post again, abit amazed how people read it.
    I can now see how it can be misread.
    I did in no way intend to say that Kemper didn't give free updates.
    I meant that it sounded like someone was jalous on the freqvent updates comming from Fractal.
    Sorry if I was misunderstood, english isn't my native language.
    As to vibro's comment
    The OP refers to this. A way to 'sense' an amp and emulate it better.
    I think that is what the Axe-Fx is all about, and was meant for from the very first standard came out 8 years ago.
    I dont think that have alot, if anything, to do with Kemper.

• Do you not think Mr Kemper thinks the Axe is inferior to the KPA? Not defending any of Fractal's comments about the Kemper, but your post is a bit misleading. Fractal has a very long history of product refinement. The Tone Matching feature on the surface does seem inspired by the Kemper, but if you dig a bit deeper you will see folks had been EQ matching recorded tracks using Ozone and creating matching IRs to load into the AxeFX for quite some time before the KPA was released, they simply automated that process. It is very different from KPA Profiling which requires an Amp. There was the addition of something similar to the KPA pick attack which was very likely inspired by keeping up with the competition, but really that is not an exclusively unique feature of the KPA either. And you folks glossed over the other point I made that Fractal now allowsyou to choose the FW you want to run for amp modeling so you can update the unit to get other features but choose whether or not to take advantage of modeling enhancement.

Hei Will,
    The point is not whether Eng. Kemper believes or not the KPA is a superior technology, the point is his behaviour on the several guitar-oriented forums: I've never read anything negative from him about the Axe, or about other firms conspiracing against Kemper.

As for tone matching, it seems to me that MIMIC is something more than that, and a direct inspiration from Kemper. This is my impression, at least.

• Hmm.
    All these comments make me curious.
    I am a happy Kemper user. Satisfyied with the sound, a little bit unsatisfyied with the controllability on the scene, but I know that in sound and playing feel my KPA is the ideal solution for me both in studio, both on the scene....But after all these comments I want to try again the Axe FX2 with the new software releases, even if I have sold mine a few months ago..... ?(
    I,m asking if the Axes responding now it,s better for me than last time, when I was used it?

......however I like this competition between the two exceptionally good products, because it can result in better and better guitar preamps.

......but I don,t like the battle between the users. It,s humiliating for both sides.

• Hei Will,
    The point is not whether Eng. Kemper believes or not the KPA is a superior technology, the point is his behaviour on the several guitar-oriented forums: I've never read anything negative from him about the Axe, or about other firms conspiracing against Kemper.

As for tone matching, it seems to me that MIMIC is something more than that, and a direct inspiration from Kemper. This is my impression, at least.

So because a competitor talked poorly of our product, every time any post of an Axe FX update is made at TGP we have to have a condescending post here?

And while the description sounds similar to profiling, it is not a user feature like it is on the KPA. I made the same assumption at first and was corrected. The Axe offers full component modeling including tone stack emulation and deep parameters to modify the behavior of an amp. It allows tone matching of prerecorded tracks but not amp. The KPA offers no component modeling taking a radically different approach with all controls being generic in nature. It allows profiling of actual amps but not prerecorded tracks. Different feature sets, different products. Clearly most of us here voted with our wallet which one we prefer. End of story...

• Hmm.
    All these comments make me curious.
    I am a happy Kemper user. Satisfyied with the sound, a little bit unsatisfyied with the controllability on the scene, but I know that in sound and playing feel my KPA is the ideal solution for me both in studio, both on the scene....But after all these comments I want to try again the Axe FX2 with the new software releases, even if I have sold mine a few months ago..... ?(
    I,m asking if the Axes responding now it,s better for me than last time, when I was used it?

......however I like this competition between the two exceptionally good products, because it can result in better and better guitar preamps.

......but I don,t like the battle between the users. It,s humiliating for both sides.

And now we see that all threads like this really do is promote a competitors product. Because all publicity is good publicity...

• The Axe offers full component modeling including tone stack emulation and deep parameters to modify the behavior of an amp. It allows tone matching of prerecorded tracks but not amp.

You can also tone match an amp and this is the recommended usage as it actually works better than using a recorded track. It is true that you cannot call that profiling since they fell short in their original intention.

• So because a competitor talked poorly of our product, every time any post of an Axe FX update is made at TGP we have to have a condescending post here?

And while the description sounds similar to profiling, it is not a user feature like it is on the KPA. I made the same assumption at first and was corrected. The Axe offers full component modeling including tone stack emulation and deep parameters to modify the behavior of an amp. It allows tone matching of prerecorded tracks but not amp. The KPA offers no component modeling taking a radically different approach with all controls being generic in nature. It allows profiling of actual amps but not prerecorded tracks. Different feature sets, different products. Clearly most of us here voted with our wallet which one we prefer. End of story...

Well, I did not start the thread and, if it were for me, no thread would start. I have ideas tho on the subject, and when there's a thread I may chime in.
    i responded to some user here who was asking which was the point, and to you asking rethorically whether Eng. Kemper believed the KPA is better than the Axe. I replied to the former that the point was continually bashing the KPA but going on implementing Kemper-like ideas (note the "like" part). And to you that... Well, what you just read.

Let me add, with no polemics at all, that I like discussing about things, and personally don't like too much posts like yours, where the author seems to just want the final word or seems to imply that opinions different from theirs can't anyway make sense.
    We can choose to take part in a thread or not, if we do we should at least show interest in the concept of 'discussion' itself.

And now we see that all threads like this really do is promote a competitors product. Because all publicity is good publicity...

Personally, I've no problems in talking about the Axe. People will make their choices anyway, and for sure I don't live in the hope that someone won't buy an Axe because they have never heard of it LOL

And, BTW, there are lots of posts and videos about the KPA on the Net as well :P

Peace and Axes :)

• Well, I did not start the thread and, if it were for me, no thread would start. I have ideas tho on the subject, and when there's a thread I may chime in.
    i responded to some user here who was asking which was the point, and to you asking rethorically whether Eng. Kemper believed the KPA is better than the Axe. I replied to the former that the point was continually bashing the KPA but going on implementing Kemper-like ideas (note the "like" part). And to you that... Well, what you just read.

Let me add, with no polemics at all, that I like discussing about things, and personally don't like too much posts like yours, where the author seems to just want the final word or seems to imply that opinions different from theirs can't anyway make sense.
    We can choose to take part in a thread or not, if we do we should at least show interest in the concept of 'discussion' itself.

Peace and Axes :)

Whoa there! I'm not meaning to criticize you directly but threads like this in general. My apologies! But to your response, am I not entitled to my opinion and free to discuss my point of view?

• ... Sure you are! But that "end of the story" didn't seem to promote sharing opinions :) Apologize if I misunderstood your intentions!

I did not mean closing of the debate in general, but that for those of use who bought the KPA the decision has been made. It doesn't matter what Fractal does or says in that regard, what updates they provide, as we've already chosen the product featureset we felt best.

• This is not about taking sides or decisions, Will. Who cares what me or you own? That should not stop people from discussing about any subject they want to as long as they are respectful.

If you are not interested in discussing about this or other subjects, well, you have the choice not to. Sharing your opinion is good but telling others what they should or shouldn't be doing in general is not the best thing to do in a forum unless you were asked for it. You can still do it but don't expect all people to like it.

• With "scene" he means "stage". I believe he's referring to the midi control options available.

This was my reading of it as well, and I have to agree that it truly needs the KFC and Perform mode ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer