Nasty digital pop/overload when switching "Loop" on (with video)

• Hey,

:Link to YT video of clippng issue:
    I'm getting really nasty clipping of the kempers output when I switch the fx loop in. This only happens when i Initially switch the loop on, everything sounds great with nothing clipping at all after the inital blow your socks off nasty digital engage. To make it stranger, this only happens if I don't switch the loop for 5 seconds or so.... if i switch the loop on/off/on/off every second or so the switching does not cause the kemper output to clip... The output LED of the kemper goes Bright red for the switch.. then all is well... static buildup maybe?

I'm running an Eventide Timefactor in stereo (with in and out set to "line" level) through the loop of the kemper and switching the loop on and off ("mod" slot) via a midi foot controller (sending midi cc#24).

What I've tried so far without success,
    All combinations of Kemper ground lift switches (as it really seems like static discharge or something)
    Different presets on kemper
    Different presets on the Timefactor pedal
    Different guitars
    Timefactor in both mono and stereo loops
    Even strung a wire from the timefactor to the kemper for grounding.. Lol.. It was a longshot.. I know that! :S

Will make a video for this tonight to describe it better..

Any advice appreciated..

Thanks!

• Here's a thought....I had a similar behavior switching a processor on/off in a loop in an amp years ago . The volume would "surge" then squish down on engagement. Turns out a compressor in the loop was causing the issue. Maybe something like that is creating high output? I know the kpa loop is easy to overdrive and sounds nasty when it clips.

bd

• Thanks for the idea. The only other effect block thats active is an eq in the stomp section. The Timefactor delay has no compression function and its inputs clipping led never indicates a problem

Edit: there is also a gate active in the "A" slot.. Forgot about that.. Not the cause though.. I think I'm just going to have to ditch the loop idea and run the delay infront of the kemper which is ashame. More cables, stage clutter and hassle.. and obviously less than great delay clarity this way, but the loops switching pop is unusable live until I find the culprit..
    What am I missing??

• Had rehearsal tonight.. Switching the timefactors input/output gains did not help..
    Setting the tf input to "guitar" was had the expected result (too much signal into the tf.. Occasional clipping.. The kemper loop is line level)
    Setting the tf output to "amp" lowered volume when loop was engaged (as expected) - but - the kemper still clips in the same manner on initial loop engagement..

Good idea though.. Thanks for the suggestion..

Still looking for answers.. ?(

• Try putting a patch cable between send and return and switch the loop on/off, is the pop still there? If not then the culprit is the pedal.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I jumpered the loop and the weird pop is still there.. I played a show friday night and threw caution to the wind - it clipped badly.. our sound guy had a limiter on my channel which took the brunt of it.. i didnt use it again though..
    Going to reinstal the 1.60 firmware tomorrow and see what happens.. will update if its successful.. thanks for the help so far..

• I never solved the problem. The behaviour was still there even after removing my delay pedal and jumpering the kempers loop with a cable. After that test I just gave up on using the loop live entirely and moved on.
    I'm yet use the loop at all with the newer 1.8 Beta firmware.

Sorry - I cant offer much help but would appreciate info on any possible solutions you might find.

• I did not contact Kemper support. This thread was the only place I looked for assistance.

I'll spend some time tonight re investigating the issue to see if I can get any closer to finding the cause.

Just want to confirm our problems are the same before hand. Have you tried jumpering the loop with a cable and testing for the "pop", or tested using another pedal?. If so, what was the result for you? Does the switching pop only happen if you wait short time between switches (as shown in my video on page 1).

Glad you brought this up again. I had kinda moved on, but it still irritated me that I never could get it solved! X(

• Same problem for me, i have an Eventide Space and an Eventide Time Factor in the loop as well.

Even when im bypassing them, i still have these nasty clicks when im playing, and neither the input or the output of the KPA are clipping, they are both green ... this is pretty annoying :/

I should add that when im engaging the loop, the volume gets louder, and even with loop volume at -5 i still have these clicks.

If someone could help ...

• Hi everyone,
    My issues are fixed. I was activating the timefactor in the Loop via midi and it was picking up some switching noise because the spillover feature in the timefactor was enabled. Disabled it and now the switching is silent :)

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk