Pitch shifter presets / recommendations

• Must admit I've never really used any type of pitch shifter effect on my guitar sounds, probably mainly because I've never brought a decent one. Well just been messing about with the new pitch shifter effects and they are fantastic. I don't suppose people who are experienced with pitch shifting and harmonisers shed some light on some great/common settings. EG the kind of sounds Steve Vai uses etc :thumbup:

• Here is a quick-guide for the Pedal Pitch Effect. This effect simulates a Whammy Pedal very effectively (think Tom Morello or Matthew Bellamy). Expression pedal is necessary to work this effect. The pitch range goes to 36, each 12th being an octave. If you want a 1 octave range set the Heel Pitch to 0 and the Toe Pitch to 12. If you want a 2 octave range keep the Heel Pitch at 0 and move the Toe Pitch to 24. This will put you into Audioslave "Like A Stone" territory or Dimebag Darrell's "Cemetery Gates" effect. If you want to make it a Dive Bomb pedal keep the Heel at 0 and set the Toe to -12 (1 octave down), -24 (2 octaves down), etc. You have a + or - 3 octave range to work with. You could set the Heel and Toe anywhere you would like to come up with some completely crazy crap but try the settings I've suggested to keep you in a playable range that you will find comfortable to work within. More to come! :thumbup:

• Hey

And if someone have figured out like these style harmonizer settings can someone please post those?

Iron Maiden style harmonizer?
    Metallica Master Of Puppets solo section harmonizer?
    Dimebag Darrell Floods and live settings what he was use little bit harmonizer?
    And If someone have Orginal Digitech Whammy can someone post all those octave settings and tuning settings?

And please tell us if you have that pitch shifter in effect loop or front off amp ,because there is huge differend where you put that.

• Here are some general tips on pitch effect placement:

For whammy effects that sound like the guitar has a trem arm on it, put it in front of the amp.

Using at -12 to sound like a bass will sound more realistic before the bass amp profile.

If you want the whammy to sound more like a recording is being slowed down, put it in the post effects.

A pseudo12-string effect is worth trying both places - it depends on the guitar and kind of profile.

Multi-guitar/doubling to sound more than one guitar works better in post effects.

• Here is a quick-guide for the Pedal Pitch Effect. This effect simulates a Whammy Pedal very effectively (think Tom Morello or Matthew Bellamy). Expression pedal is necessary to work this effect. The pitch range goes to 36, each 12th being an octave. If you want a 1 octave range set the Heel Pitch to 0 and the Toe Pitch to 12. If you want a 2 octave range keep the Heel Pitch at 0 and move the Toe Pitch to 24. This will put you into Audioslave "Like A Stone" territory or Dimebag Darrell's "Cemetery Gates" effect. If you want to make it a Dive Bomb pedal keep the Heel at 0 and set the Toe to -12 (1 octave down), -24 (2 octaves down), etc. You have a + or - 3 octave range to work with. You could set the Heel and Toe anywhere you would like to come up with some completely crazy crap but try the settings I've suggested to keep you in a playable range that you will find comfortable to work within. More to come! :thumbup:

Great jobs!!!
    :thumbup:

• Hey

And if someone have figured out like these style harmonizer settings can someone please post those?

Iron Maiden style harmonizer?
    Metallica Master Of Puppets solo section harmonizer?
    Dimebag Darrell Floods and live settings what he was use little bit harmonizer?

Just find the key that the song is written in and use that scale, harmonize in thirds. Use your ears. :D

• When using intelligent harmony, I don't necessarily play the low note, and generate the harmony above. The harmony lines may sound better if the higher note is played, with a generated lower harmony.

I typically program the effect so I can play the note I consider to be the more important, and mix the harmony note to be not quite as loud. Doing that helps to mask any artificial qualities or possible glitches in the pitch shifted notes. Another bonus to this approach with pitch shifted down is that notes shifted down sound a little darker, and blend in with the Un-shifted notes really well.

So, try it both ways - depending on the profile, and song, the generated note may sound better a third above, with you playing the low note, or you may like it better when you play the higher part, with pitch set to a third below.

• Naturally people gravitate to root, plus up a third, and up a fifth, because this is what makes up a normal chord. This is in the smart harmony settings.
    Octave is also popular whether up or down because it just matches the note you are playing in any given key.

Or you can choose to go up a fifth, then match that same note down below which is down a fourth.
    Fifths work well because they are not dependent on what key you are in, so that's a good generic patch to have for a basic pitch solo effect. Can be in chromatic pitch setting.

There is nothing wrong with any interval on the smart harmony, it's all just different flavors of sounds. Of course you have to stay in the key you've selected :)

Lots of possibilities. For me I plan to keep the following presets:
    1. Whammy pedal set to go up one octave.
    2. Chromatic pitch with one note down an octave and one note up a fifth.
    3. Chromatic pitch up a fifth. Typical solo effect.
    4. Smart harmony with one note up a third, second note up a fifth. Will need to adjust key as needed.
    5. Chromatic pitch with one note up a second. For that crazy Alan Holdsworth effect.

I'm sure more will follow but this gets me started.

Sean

• Thanks Sean this is great info

• I posted this in another thread. Probably should have been here. Pedal Steel type sound.
    http://kemper-amps.com/forum/i…ad&postID=80242#post80242
    Edit: this link didn't work for me when I tried it after posting, so will just copy/paste it :

Pedal Steel
    I couldn't stand it, so I updated even with practice staring me in the face. First thing I tried was the Chromatic Pitch effect.

Try this out:
    Voice 1 Pitch = 3
    Voice 2 Pitch= -2
    Detune = 0.00
    Voice Mix = 0.0
    Mix = 50%
    Ducking = 0.0
    Volume = 0.0

Play only single strings. Sounds best with a Tele or other bright guitar. I used it with my Clean JTM30 profile. Big grin on my face.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Must admit I've never really used any type of pitch shifter effect on my guitar sounds, probably mainly because I've never brought a decent one. Well just been messing about with the new pitch shifter effects and they are fantastic. I don't suppose people who are experienced with pitch shifting and harmonisers shed some light on some great/common settings. EG the kind of sounds Steve Vai uses etc :thumbup:

I will post a Vai setting do a vid and upload the rig hopefully this weekend :)

• +1 on the interest to see this... "Perfect Timing" I'd say... what a 'Stand Up' guy Chris is... 8)

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs