So basically if you own a non-powered Kemper and thought you could upgrade, you can't

• That would be a true statement if there hadn't been an official statement from the company right on their product page saying that an upgrade process to fit the power amp would be in place. I purchased a non-powered head based on that information. It was misleading, and no rebate on a new product is going to make it better. If I go to sell my unpowered head right now, it's going to be competing with a glut of other non-powered KPA's on eBay that otherwise wouldn't have been there if an upgrade path had existed, and my sale price will be reduced accordingly.

Sorry, very bad business on Kemper's part.

Exactly!

Please Will_Chen....save the fanboy stuff for another discussion. No one was assuming anything here. It was an announcment that was made officially at Namm. I bet the Performance mode on your machine is working, correct? :rolleyes: Would that be one of the hopes that you have? It's screened on to the front of the damn machine and still not running!

• To be honest, I don't get the point of the whole discussion. When I bought my KPA, I knew I'll need some kind of amplifier and I knew I'll need some kind of footcontroller, if I'd like to play live, not only in my bedroom. I knew I'll have to spend some extra money for these two things. So nothing's new now on not getting a powered KPA. The facts are still the same, but with one advantage: I can buy an amplifier, that perfectly fits my needs and I'm not depending on a stiff power-solution.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Exactly!

Please Will_Chen....save the fanboy stuff for another discussion. No one was assuming anything here. It was an announcment that was made officially at Namm. I bet the Performance mode on your machine is working, correct? :rolleyes: Would that be one of the hopes that you have? It's screened on to the front of the damn machine and still not running!

I'm probably one of the most vocal critics of the company, even calling the KPA as a whole a beta due to non functionality features with dedicated hardware control. Check out my comparisons of the KPA pitch shifting vs the Whammy V. I'm probably one of the original guys who started the "where's performance mode" movement...and got flamed plenty for it. You guys crying about the vapor ware optional power amps are behaving like children. Any and every company reserves the right to do whatever they want regarding their product lifecycle and product catalog. you don't like the direction? Go find another product which can profile amps and has a built in power amp. Oh yeah. There isn't one. Lot's of companies announce things, even roll out products to NAMM, which never see a retailer shelf.

• I just couldn't find any decent clarification on why this is not possible, or why KPA-Solutions can do the Camplifier and Kemper can't.

That's a late question in this thread, there is a clear answer:
    The other power amp solutions have all connections external, especially the power connector. It is mainly two separate devices connected in a mechanical way.
    Our solution is fully integrated, has everything inside. The unit had to be take apart to a significant degree for upgrading it. High voltage parts are part of that. Reassembling as well as assembling is only allowed to certified facilities. This is why we will not send out upgrade packages.

[quote='EmpireNine',index.php?page=Thread&postID=81920#post81920I do respect Christoph and the Kemper team, as what we currently have is pretty phenomenal regardless. The next time, I will just get the power amp version[/quote]

Why don't you take the discount? You never mentioned that this is a problem.

• When I bought my Kemper last fall, the black ones were selling used on USA eBay for around $1800, and white ones a little least. With all the sales going on, I bought a new one, instead ( I like a warranty with bleeding edge technology)

A black lunchbox sold on 4/9/13 for $1845, shipped.

Another sold on 04/11/13 for $1795, shipped.

A white one went for $1622 - with a better description and pictures, it would have sold for the same as the black ones.

The "Glut" of used Kempers on USA eBay right now is a grand total of one active auction.

On eBay, they are worth the same as six months ago. How much would a six month old $1800 computer be worth?

A huge used price drop, just because of the amp issue, is not happening at this point, and is not all that likely to happen even when there are used powered Kempers on the market. Not everyone wants an amp in their Kemper, and not everyone who wants one would want that expensive of an amp in their Kemper.

But, if it is a concern, you can easily sell it, and use that money toward a new powered Kemper. If you shop around, you might even save money by getting a new one, as opposed to what a retrofit would have cost.

:)

• That's a late question in this thread, there is a clear answer:
    The other power amp solutions have all connections external, especially the power connector. It is mainly two separate devices connected in a mechanical way.
    Our solution is fully integrated, has everything inside. The unit had to be take apart to a significant degree for upgrading it. High voltage parts are part of that. Reassembling as well as assembling is only allowed to certified facilities. This is why we will not send out upgrade packages.

[quote='EmpireNine',index.php?page=Thread&postID=81920#post81920I do respect Christoph and the Kemper team, as what we currently have is pretty phenomenal regardless. The next time, I will just get the power amp version[/quote]

Why don't you take the discount? You never mentioned that this is a problem.

[/quote]

Hi CK, how does one go about ordering a profiler with the discount (sorry if I've missed this info elsewhere), and therefore what is the price after rebate is applied? I just wanted to check the final price for a new Kemper (with rebate) versus a used price for selling mine. I know a guy on music radar was trying to sell his used profiler for £800 but there were no takers.

• I can't see how the price of a used non-powered KPA would drop either. The whole attraction for me was NOT having to lug along my 4x12 cabinet to every gig. It's almost a two man job getting it into my wagon! I want to rock up with my guitar, KPA and cables and just plug in.

Also for me, playing through a cab just defeats the purpose of having all of these great amps/cabs at our disposal in the first place. Isn't that the idea behind this wonderful little box?!? Not having a go at anyone just putting forward my thoughts. I think I might go and play guitar now...

• You guys crying about the vapor ware optional power amps are behaving like children. Any and every company reserves the right to do whatever they want regarding their product lifecycle and product catalog. you don't like the direction? Go find another product which can profile amps and has a built in power amp. Oh yeah. There isn't one. Lot's of companies announce things, even roll out products to NAMM, which never see a retailer shelf.

Apologies Will....didn't intend to come across as an arse here. Just still ticked at the whole scenario, not a you.

As with the others on the prices. As soon as something else comes out, the prices on the used market will plummet and you'll see these all over the place just like any other product that has come and gone in the past.

Never criticized the product itself because it is very good for all of it's features, no question there. I just wish that they would have addressed the Performance Mode and the startup time of the unit.

• 30 seconds is too long to wait?

Been waiting 8 months actually there, Mr. Sarcasm. ;)
    Let me know when your foot controller comes in. :whistling:

Sorry...haven't been keeping up with things. Having too much fun profiling some cabinets with my other solution.

• “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin

I don't think that was necessary.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Not a stupid idea: after that hassle this is what Kemper should offer. This would be fair solution.

• Been waiting 8 months actually there, Mr. Sarcasm. ;)

Sorry...haven't been keeping up with things. Having too much fun profiling some cabinets with my other solution.

You can't Profile with your other solution, you wish you could, but you can't, Mr Sarcasm. ;)

• I can't see how the price of a used non-powered KPA would drop either. The whole attraction for me was NOT having to lug along my 4x12 cabinet to every gig. It's almost a two man job getting it into my wagon! I want to rock up with my guitar, KPA and cables and just plug in.

Also for me, playing through a cab just defeats the purpose of having all of these great amps/cabs at our disposal in the first place. Isn't that the idea behind this wonderful little box?!? Not having a go at anyone just putting forward my thoughts. I think I might go and play guitar now...

I could easily sell my unit for the exact price I paid for it originally. I don't think many at all will sell for the power amp version. In fact the introduction of the rack unit flooded the market more than the power amp probably will honestly. I heard a lot of new customers joining on and quite a few saying they were going to swap it out for one. Should they not offer us options to keep prices inflated? That is a ridiculous argument.

Been waiting 8 months actually there, Mr. Sarcasm. ;)

He was referring to the start time not performance mode bro. In any case if you sold it you aren't exactly waiting anymore are you.

You can't Profile with your other solution, you wish you could, but you can't, Mr Sarcasm. ;)

Indeed. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he bought an Axe II. Good for him, gear is all about what works best for the individual. That being said tone matching is not equivalent to what the Kemper does. Start time is a little long compared to other gear I've had over the years, but it isn't excessive either. If you compare it to a tube amp the start up time is just fine. It would only really be an issue during a gig if it shut off accidentally and you had to turn it on again which is a problem in itself. All of the other 'features' like performance mode and the power amp were handled poorly in the sense of them being listed initially at all because what performance mode is wouldn't have crossed my mind if it was never listed and imagine that applies to all of the complainers as well. As for the foot controller, AFAIK, we were never 'promised' one and even if we were it is an accessory that you will have to pay for. Buy an FCB1010 or a GCP and move on with your day.

It seems a lot of people, involving the power amp, don't understand the logistics of business/government at all. It's a scenario where nobody can win because an expectation was set and it is impossible to meet now. It isn't like if he somehow managed to see the future and the current predicament he'd lie to us or say the same thing from the beginning. In a way it was a screw up, but there is only so much that can be done to remedy it before suggestions start sounding a tad ludicrous.

• this is the way to go Mr. Kemper :)