So basically if you own a non-powered Kemper and thought you could upgrade, you can't

• OMG, guys... stop whining and buy a Camplifier if you need an integrated power amp. Sounds good, is loud enough, it is even cheaper than the Kemper solution.

Personally I don't get it, why someone wants to play with a guitar cab instead of FRFR - but well, it's a matter of taste, so what :D

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Complaining about the current startup time is just silly.

And performance mode, Kemper is obviously in a lose/lose with that. If they had not included it in the original models, and just now started releasing models with a new chickenhead option for Performance mode, people would gripe about not being able to have it on the original, just like they are doing with the poweramp. Just ridiculous, especially when those clamoring for Performance mode likely have no idea what it really does and do not realize you could still fulfill most of those needs with your standard MIDI foot controller.

In the full year that I've owned this product, it has been superb and I've created wonderful music with my band, achieving recorded sonic results that I would have never been able to accomplish with traditional cab mic'ing, not to mention the access to thousands of rare/expensive amps. The unit has more than paid for itself and any future additions are excellent bonuses.

Thanks CK and Kemper team. :thumbup:

• Well, this is actually a very good post. Thanks. These are exactly my sentiments. :)

• For me it could stay as is now and would still be the best gear ever, period. Obviously some people feel differently and they should move on, IMHO. If I don't like something I just get rid of it and try something else, I do not complain because I would like it to be different. Enough solutions out there for everybody and plenty of very good amplfying gear as well. If you really absolutely want the poweramp in the head go and get ...... An amp! Vetta? :D
    The Camplifier is top class for anybody dieing for a retrofit, BTW....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• For those complaining, just look around your stage and/or studio and add up how many pieces of gear you see that:

1) Get the level of forum support and troubleshooting of the KPA

2) Get free updates (or any updates at all)

3) Seem to have a dedicated team at the company who's only mission is to make things better always

4) Have a support team that actually knows their own product inside and out

Last time I checked, my Marshall JVM didn't add free pitch effects a year after I bought it, my Gibson Les Paul doesn't amplify itself, and my DAW and plugins charge significant amounts of money every time a new version comes out.

Some people are just ungrateful and expect things that frankly the KPA team has no obligation to give you or any of us. To have a product that sounds this good AND provides constant feature updates? CK and his boys should have CRATES of beer being shipped to them each day as a thanks from us!

Settle down and go back to making music...

J

• "acting like children", "sense of entitlement", "ungrateful".

Don't really get all the attacking in this thread.
    Kemper's a real company, not a cottage industry that folk have to subsidise and defend.
    When people are told the product for sale would have the option of customisation at a later date then for whatever reason that changes,
    I think they're allowed to voice their disappointment and maybe give an opinion on how they'd want the company to rectify things in a way more convenient to the customer.

I'd probably never have got round to it anyway so I'm a bit meh about the whole issue.
    But please don't try to shut them down and decry them for having a different opinion.
    After all, this forum's not the British media (topical joke).

• You can't Profile with your other solution, you wish you could, but you can't, Mr Sarcasm

Sure can. I can easily capture a "cab" with the Two-Notes product. It works great! I've completed 4 cabs already and they sound fabulous. Outstanding support and free updates from that company as well.

Again folks, please don't get your nuts in a bunch here. I'm not dissing the Kemper product at all or their support team nor am I ungrateful. I paid for the product. The product works great, has great features, etc. No question there. I'm just at odds with the way they went about doing things, that's all. Over and done, I'll forget about it and leave it at that.

And an AxeFX? Not in your life. Not at all interested in one of those for anything.

Really insulting comments here from some folks. No need for that...but hey, people are behind keyboards and monitors so, it's bound to happen. I was just stating my opinion, not an insult to Kemper user.

No worries. The unit speaks for itself in terms of quality and sound and really has revolutionized things. Enjoy your Kemper, have fun and make some great music. I've already done that and made some decent money with it so I'm happy about that. Hey....at some point, I may get another one but for now I am happy.

:)

Edited 2 times, last by PBGas ().

• Hey I took a stab in the dark and pretty much said so. 8) The rest of my post was still relevant though.

Whatever works for you, that's all the world is about. I considered purchasing that at one point and still might.

Well, this is actually a very good post. Thanks. These are exactly my sentiments. :)

Completely agree. Performance mode, much like the foot controller people are complaining about, would only make things a bit easier and that's it. Without both of those you can still achieve everything you need with pretty much any foot controller. Just a bit more work is all.

• I get why this is happening but that doesn't change the fact that it's a HUGE pain in the ass. I purchased my KPA second hand - do I still get a discount? How do I prove I purchased it before the powered versions were available?

Not only that, but I have to deal with selling my KPA (waiting for someone to purchase + shipping time to make sure they get it, risks that the courier might break it in transit and I'll have to refund the buyer out of pocket, eBay takes 10% after fees, etc) and then pay full price for another, with a delay between? I have deadlines to meet and schedules to keep; I can't just send my unit out for 2 weeks because the company lacked foresight in designing it.

I'll be going with a Camplifier or Magnum 44 because of this; really frustrated that it took people on the forum asking specifically about it for us to hear about it.

• Completely agree. Performance mode, much like the foot controller people are complaining about, would only make things a bit easier and that's it. Without both of those you can still achieve everything you need with pretty much any foot controller. Just a bit more work is all.

Somehow, people on this forum are completely incapable of grasping the fact that other Kemper users might have different needs.
    I short, no, it is not possible. Not by a long shot, not while staying under 1,000 rigs, not while working with clients and not without extra gear like fancy MIDI controllers.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Not following. You can buy a midi controller for like $80 and the FCB is about to get a chip made by UNO with the defaults setup for Kemper. You can setup a midi # for any profile and then recall it with a midi controller (not 'fancy'). In a live gig what would you be using anyhow? You aren't going to just turn the knob between tones. It isn't as convenient, but it is most certainly possible and workable. The 1000 rig thing was the case from the beginning as far as I'm aware so...

I couldn't completely follow your post though so if I misunderstood just ignore me.

:D

• Not following. You can buy a midi controller for like $80 and the FCB is about to get a chip made by UNO with the defaults setup for Kemper. You can setup a midi # for any profile and then recall it with a midi controller (not 'fancy'). In a live gig what would you be using anyhow? You aren't going to just turn the knob between tones. It isn't as convenient, but it is most certainly possible and workable. The 1000 rig thing was the case from the beginning as far as I'm aware so...

I couldn't completely follow your post though so if I misunderstood just ignore me.

:D

Where i live, a Behringer FCB is closer to 200$ both locally or through Ebay (shipping included).
    I've got my own DIY MIDI controller - it's got 0-9 and a bank up button because there's no real implementation of a bank down on the board i salvaged.
    Now, i've got 214 profiles on the KPA to date, and i've used almost all of them on one session or another in the last 6 weeks since i bought the KPA -
    i take my toaster to a client, sit down, rummage through profiles until we find what fits, then write it down in a notebook for when we're recording. If the profile has to be changed, i have to save it again - so i've got 11 banks for clients at the moment, each with 3-6 modified amps (i use the 'rig author' to specify 'banks').
    I'm also in 3 gigging bands. Each has about 15 songs in average with different settings that also have to be saved separately.
    That's 325 presets, and i've owned the kemper for 6 weeks - i believe i'll make it to the 1,000 rig limit soon enough - and that's not because 1,000 rigs aren't excessive, because they are - it's because performance mode is direly missing.

As for the MIDI, i've got 1-128. No fancy internal banks or progressions, no 'song' presets.
    So i've got 11 sets of 10 and a set of 8 presets accessible - i can't browse between banks on the fly because the bank system isn't too reliable and tap dancing isn't my forte, so that's 12 songs.
    Let's assume every two songs can be done with the same presets - that's still not nearly enough.

So yeah, i can reprogram my MIDI board before every show, and have a flash drive with a backup for each and every client, and i can have cofee with my clients while we're waiting for the restore process -
    but i'd go as far as saying this is beyond a mere inconvenience.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Fair enough, performance mode would definitely help with your problem. It's still not impossible as a better foot controller would also resolve your problem. You are making the choice to stick with something severely limiting. I too needed better access to profiles and other setting so I bought a better foot controller to meet my needs. In any case I imagine performance mode will be in the next update (or at least I'd expect it to since they've been demoing it) so this problem is going away fairly soon. :thumbup: