Is this unit faulty?

• Hi,

Just trying to do a profiling with the device for the first time, and connecting mic pre output to Profiler Return Input and listening to the Reference amp in Profiler mode results in signal with a lot of high frequency distortion. First I thought there is something wrong with the mic or mic pre, but when I replaced everything and finally tried to send a direct signal from Direct Output straight to Return Input and got the same distorted result I'm thinking the Return Input might be faulty. Anyone seen this before? How to be sure it's not the settings or user error before I send the unit in?

Thanks!

Kristo

• Have you tried turning down the level for the Return Input? The factory default for profiling level is probably set for a microphone plugged into the XLR. Your Line Level input may be clipping.

Yes, the distortion seems not to be level-dependent and does not sound like your typical input overdrive, but rather like a clocking issue or other converter-related distortion.

• Just a few suggestions from me.

Is the mic you are using a "dynamic" in otherwords it does not require Phantom power (as the KPA does not supply this)
    And did you try and refine the profile.. sometimes and with some amps. directly after profiling it sounds really harsh.. then soon as you refine it all comes great again.?