Posts by Per

This confuses me:

Why would anyone be profiling AxeFX models if they are so bogus? Seriously, isn't this a total contradiction to those who believe the Kemper is clearly superior? It seems to me their time would be much better spent doing new tube amp profiles. Personally, I say profile *anything* that inspires you to make music, but there seems to be a bit of a double standard on the AFX, no?

It's not a double standard if you don't have that standard to begin with. Be generous! Don't assume for others how they feel. People here just like gear and it's fun, they'll do it because they can. I don't have an Axe, but I'm sure as heck gonna try profiling the HD500 that I do have, as well as anything else I can shove a signal through.

Edit - removed the pointless guff. It was just perpetuating other guff that has no place here.

Interesting. Though given that the KPA's dynamics should be set by the amp's dynamics then the obvious thing would be to find out what happens if you profile your AxeFX! Whether the result is something that then feels the same as the Axe or not. If not then it's something that Christoph should investigate further and adjust (or offer an adjustment control for).

uweoverdrive - It's interesting to know about the Axe and pick attack feel, is that including adjusting the pick attack control in the Kemper? Do you feel it's a particular dynamics issue or a difference in latency?

I was thinking that maybe the amps internal compressor would allow you to adjust the dynamic behavior of the Kemper too, to adjust the curve for when rolling back the volume on the guitar or changing pick style to make it more or less responsive/reactive. If not then maybe Christoph could add that feature?

If the KPA got USB keyboard support it'd be nice if you could just start typing (when not editing anything/at an input field and in whatever the playback mode is) in the name to search/quickjump to it like you can in your computer's OS file explorer.

Even better would be the ability to have a "fast dial", an ability to set a favorite preset/bookmark (or a few on different buttons) in the list, and then jump to them by holding down the button again for e.g. a second rather than just a tap.

We should all hope that it's very good in the Axe so that it will spur on Christoph to even greater heights of awesomeness in the Kemper! The KPA is just at the very beginning of it's product cycle, I'm sure there's lots of goodies to come and they'll be slugging it out for years.

I don't quite get the poeple who are running away and canceling their pre-orders.

I'll be honest, I'd be lieing if I claimed the announcement didn't give me pause and make me reconsider going ahead with my Kemper purchase (at least briefly), but at the same time I'm not too green to know when I'm being played by marketing either and shouldn't just kneejerk react. It was obvious it would happen sooner or later anyway.

For now I'm going to continue and put my trust in Kemper with the hope that it'll be supported and a success, that it will sound as incredible as I've heard in the clips (and to me it does sound consistently better/more natural than the Axe), and will be improved further at a quick pace.

I like it's form factor because I like easy to use well designed physical user interfaces as much as software ones. I like that it's cheaper than the Axe. I like that as of tomorrow it'll be available to use rather than another "future" promise to wait for. I like how Access has handled support of the Virus and expect similar for the KPA. Mostly I like how it sounds better to my ears. None of that's changed. At the same time nor does any of that detract from the awesome features of the Axe, both units are incredible, it's just that on balance as things stand right now I still prefer the Kemper option and I'm still just as excited by it as I ever was.

No point getting upset about that though. All's fair in love and marketing as they say, and stealing thunder is as old a dirty tactic as it comes there I'm afraid (and it's not as if Profiling was ever going to remain the sole proprietorship of Kemper forever, unless he patented it). Now Kemper just need to up their game to match and start pushing out those updates, after all Kemper actually has that product to market as of right now, not sometime in the future anymore.

We'll have to hear how it actually sounds first. To my ears every KPA clip I've heard hasn't just sounded more like a specific amp being profiled, but more like real amps in general. It's more important to me that the Axe closes that gap first and foremost over range of FX and routing possibilities.

Huzzah, tremble mortals and avert your ears! My Sweetwater rep called me and said that i should be getting my KPA by next week! Muhahahahahahauaha...

daggis - Per-Anders is in this case a Swedish name.

Can you remove and replace the faceplate and knobs on the KPA? It'd be rather spiffy to be able to re-skin it, e.g. I was thinking etched chrome & matte with black labels and knobs could be a nice custom job on it.

Please make it handle 48k and ideally up to 24bit at 96k (or even 192k). I know that the end result will be 44.1k for most, but I prefer to work at 48k, and no I can't tell you why my ears aren't that golden but it just feels nicer to me, and I know a lot of studios prefer (or require) higher bitrates than 44.1k for tracking too.

Has one of you had the chance to make a real judgement about different IR sizes?
    The real comparison of IR sizes can only be done by listening to two IR's that are supposed to create the same frequency responce, but have different sizes.

Experience anyone?

I wouldn't expect it to sound any different unless there are significant spikes in the original between the frequencies sampled at the lower resolution. It's like saying that an EQ with more points will sound better/tighter in the bass, or that using less points on an EQ results in lower quality. Most people manage with between 3 and 5 points in their EQing most of the time and leave the rest up to the q interpolation.

Unless that is the IR convolution algorithm involves reconstruction of the original sound using the inverse Fourier transform, in which case I could see how compiling using a less fine grading of sine waves could result in a poorer quality rendition, but that's not the case is it Cristoph? Anyhow, I thought the Kemper doesn't use IR's but instead uses cab modeling which is "profiled" to set it's parameters like the rest of the amp, or am I wrong?

You can order them from Thomann and they'll ship to the US, but Sweetwater are currently saying that the shipping date for those ordered in the US will be the 7th, if that's true then it may be quicker to order in the US.