Posts by waraba

Excellent Oraakkeli !!! I can feel the passion for those amp, pretty impressive :thumbup:

I'm really looking forward trying them , the one I tried are one of the most authentically vintage tones I ever heard. And they are free , thank you so much.

Great involvement , job & photos, I'm sure the original creators & builders of those amps ( now grandpas ?? ) would be proud, this way those amps, at least their tone, will never disappear.

You can link the short Carlsbro demo I did if you want, I will put it under creative commons if needed.

Yes I've been listening a lot to graveyard lately ( love this album - Hisigen Blues , what a singer !) and was wondering about the guitar sound that sounds very much like the bands from the 60's 70's but with a modern recording technique. Their sound comes from influences like Quicksilver Messenger Service , so I looked to John Cippolina's gear , he used blackface fender amps and complex setups. Remember that those vintage recordings are made on analog gear with natural tape compression.

I would go for very specific rigs like the one from Poor Man's Vintage Pack Vol.1 , but you'll have to do some tweaks. A sparkle clean amp won't do it, you'll have to find the right amount of dirtiness ( gain ) to get this subtle 60's vibe. The problem is the verb , I would go for a vintage real stuff ( or good vst emulating those). Try also some JTM - I did record a short demo in a similar style with the carlsbro - you need amps with lots of personality. A little bit of 'vibe' could help fro the clean parts.

Regarding the guitars, the 335 is spot on to get this dirtiness and ringing of strings in the graveyard spirit. Also try adjusting vol and tone pot to get this smooth crunch, play the leads with slight boosts, wah & fuzzes on the neck PU. The rest is in your hands , listen carefully to the left hand vibrato on Hisigen Blues, this is John Cippolina's signature to me : very fast and tight (you can emulate this with the strat arm as well).

It's very challenging to me , but a mighty fun quest and the KPA is the ultimate tool to try some sonical experiments. It's the only DSP unit that can achieve real dirty rigs like analog stuff to me.

Hi , you have access to both worlds there is a 'green screamer' stomp slot that you can lock ( available/ switchable to all rigs ) , you also have some rigs with the real stuff profiled WITH a specific amp ( you cannot get rid of the TS).

I don't think all TAF profiles come with a TS rig , but Andy always choose the best stomps and do a few profiles in each amp pack, TS or other OD/Dist stomps depends on the amp's behavior.

Yeah thx for the explanation, this should be attached in some ways into the rig description , the tags are too short for this, I hope the librarian will solve this issue by adding more contextual metadatas .

I really like when people describe the amp & profiling session when putting their rig into the RE, I try do do it this way, a good rig deserve a good thread with some explanations about the tones profiled, just like you did in the previous thread.

I agree with the fact that a good profile should suit most guitars , like the Bogner Shiva from Sirius does , but IRL you often have to choose the right input (Hi/lo) & adjust EQ in order to get a great tone, depending on the guitar . I remember profiling my JTM and adjusting EQ quite a much on the combo. So I did a special rig for LP and one for SC, instant killer tone for me with the right guitar, but no universal rig.

And yes I guess we all keep our secrets rigs and cabs , those we don't really want to share since they are so well tailored to our style and gear, they wouldn't sound as great in others hands/gear :whistling: Everyone has to find it's own tone and the KPA is the right tool to achieve the holy grail

Yes I'm sure this rig will sound great on your gear & output system , it does not sound especially attractive on my low gain guitars. The main reason most of KPA users don't like a specific that sound good for other users is the mismatch between Output system and input guitars. When you setup tour mic in front of your tube amp while profiling you manage to meet a very specific combination that you like , but it's very tied to the way you play , your style and the type of guitar you use to monitor the whole chain.
    I give only 4/5 stars on a rig if it's sound good on my gear, I won't give rating to a rig that is probably not made for me.

Hi Larry , I hope you don't miss the KPA too much , it's true that it's a great tool to identify the best tube amp you'll ever need. I would be happy with my JTM30 and a few pedals, but it's so fun to try all those fantastic tones. I'm pretty sure we'll see you again on the forum.
    Enjoy your tube amps & guitars, I guess you'll get lots of time to play & gig now !
    R.

Man This Carlsbro really sings , just tried it on my KPA , and WOW !! I'm in love with the Ch1 Clean H, this one puts some fenders to shame ;)

It will never clip or even distort in a bad way even at full gain, and that grain , wonderful on my strat , awesome personality :thumbup:

Thx for the hard profiling work !!! Another 5 star rig, they come by the dozen at the moment

Great great idea , but no chance of ever see it IMO , If CK had this in his projects , he would have published the specs and a minimal driver.

Open Source projects can start with this minimal package, or by reverse engineering.

Not to mention the risk of the Hardware technology beeing copied and sold at a fraction of the price...

I sometimes dream about the time the KPA will be a fully opened platform with tons of hacks/new drivers/ third party softs ...

Look at Apple, they had to wait for Job's death and 35 years to release the source code of the great Apple II, 35 years ?(

"What would really be cool , would be, if someone had access to a Bluesbreaker type amp and plugged a WEM into the b.b. cab. "

hi , you can do this with your favorite BB rigs or JTM as long as you save the JTM CAB and set it up on your WEM rig.

Thx for the rigs !

R

Hi Sirius, I had some time to deeply test your great Shiva rigs. I tested them all and the clean+ is my favorite, that gain course and number of tones you can get from this single rig is just fantastic :)

As always, I tested a few cab with it , sounds gorgeous as well , fender & JTM came out especially well.

Here are a few noodlings and tests with this single rig, only the 1st part has it's cab changed., the rest is stock cab, but lots of little tweaks there and there...

https://soundcloud.com/sound-m…ic-lab/bogner-sauce-shiva

Mega thanks for this work & letting us getting those rigs for free ( I await your bassman and JCM800 , very excited about them !!! )

I hope your illness becomes chronic !!

Hi Geraldo, much better !!

The bass sounds great there , you did play it allright for me, and I actually like the sound, very credible to me, bravo !

Regarding the drums on 2.02 I know what's happening , you cannot change the whole drum part ( as a wav) without replaying/recording all the other parts , you have to play with the drums as a reference and get the groove from the drums. The way you did , changing the drums afterwards, will never let you get the right timing & groove which is the main reason to get a drummer in a band !!!

So keep it up with the 2.01 as far as drums are concerned. The snare is too much in the foreground for me, and now the guitars sound a bit weak , you'll have to work on the main mix & EQ as the others suggested, adjusting levels panning and EQ a bit.

Dont' you have a keyboard or VST to add a bit of hammond in the background ??

Bonne chance Geraldo !