Posts by fretboardminer

Back to your "jumping" pedal: Have you tried Expression (Type 1) and (Type 2) in the System menu?

So now I did some more testing. I could not really detect a big difference between Type1 and Type2 - maybe Type2 a tad smoother.

It is so confusing - you know I have been playing the HILTON for years so now it is difficult for me to tell if it is just a matter of habit or if it is a technical issue. All I can tell is every time I go back to the HILTON it feels like "coming home" - fades come in just a little bit smoother.

>> Here >> is a new recording with Type1 and Type2. I tried to do it a bit more scientific by strumming always only the same open chords. In order to rule out the "habit" factor now I did all the fades with my hand.

I think the key to all this might be the fact that the HILTON works optically.This allows the manufacturer to to freely taylor the curve of the pedalway to his liking because he just has to create the right color gradient that fits the fade you want to have and then print this out on glass or plexiglass:
    [Blocked Image: http://www.audiosemantics.de/FORUMS/HALFTONE-PATTERN.jpg
    This is what creates the fade in an optical pedal when it goes between the LED and the optical sensor. A manufacturer of a poti based pedal can never choose freely the curve of his fades because he depends on the potis that are on offer in the industry, and that is mainly linear or logarithmic some better some worse.

It is really a pity that I cannot conect my HILTON to the EXP jack of the KPA.

The refining process compares the dry output of your guitar to the signal that the microphone gives. So it is more about the characteristics of the amp and the speakers. Theoretically you could even change guitars on refining. This is what ckemper wrote about it:

So I will keep a close watch on this thread to see what will happen as I use a volume pedal a lot. Both for swells as well as a way to control the overdrive characteristics of profiles.

The HILTON volume pedal is an optical pedal with buffers on the input and output. It is made by a pedal steel guitarist who was unhappy with the existing pedals. You know on steel guitar they do a lot of these swells and this pedal is soooo smooth on that. It seems not so easy to transfer this into the digital world of expression pedals. I am curious to see if I can just train my foot to get along with the new "feel" of the FV-500H. So I will practice some Derek Bailey stuff the next weeks...

Dear diary,

I found out that always when I tweak the settings of a rig after a while the level was significantly lower than that of the original rig. I searched all the possible gain stages (don't forget the volume setting at the end of the cabinet menue) and still the original rig was always louder. Louder and cleaner. Now it turned out the culprit was the volume pedal. I use a volume pedal in EXP2 set as global volume pedal after the effects. But in the rig menue there is a tic where you can choose "lock volume pedal" - which I did not. So in the original rig this value was set to "after stomps". Now with the volume pedal locked both volumes are equal. Maybe this can save some debugging time to other fellow Kemperers...

Now I glued rubber on the chassis where the pedal hits the chassis. Two 2 mm pads of rubber plus one pad of foam rubber (to make the stops more silent) on the heel end and one rubber pad and one foam rubber pad on the toe end. This cured the leeway. But I still find the fades a bit rough compared to the HILTON.

next i wonder about portability.i mean ok...i have my sounds in kemper how do i get them out in varius situations like
    practise and record home, studio,in a gig,in a friends house for jam or in a hotel room when i travel.whats the best in each occasion monitor,.power amp and cab, headphones???

Portability and flexibility is one reason why I decided for the Kemper. I can use everything I did before when I traveled with my pedalbord and hoped that the organizer of the venue provided the Fender Twin that I stated in my technical rider. I can plug the KPA into a "power amp in" of a guitar amp or, if necessary even the front side "instrument in" can work fine. But the big advantage of the KPA is that you can also plug directly into the any active fullrange speaker or right into the PA. So the sound is already formed - you just need some amp to make it louder.

There is a Headphone jack on the KPA but after a while of testing I did never use it. The sound is ok - but I could not get used to the headpones themselves. I have good ones (AKG K-501) but it is strange to hear my guitar "inside my head" while I play. Instead I bought some cheap computer speakers that are really lightweight in the suitcase and they work fine for just practicing a bit in the hotel room. For certain situations even a home stereo would do.

Having said this I also have to tell you that you will soon find out that not all of these so called "fullrange" speakers sound the same. The differences are not as big as those between guitar amps, but I think in the long run it is a good idea to buy your own active fullrange speaker and schlepp it around with you. Still it is lighter than a Twin and it delivers your sound at any volume needed. And the biggest advantage over a real tube amp is: whatever backline you have to cope with, you always have a really pristine signal for the PA or the recording!

Thanks guitarnet70 - you are really "sage"!!! This is exactly what I did in the meantime before I logged in again here! Well I used papertowels for a test. (Actually first I did it because I was annoyed by the big knock the pedal makes when you hit the end of the pedalway.) It is half an inch on heel side and a bit less on the toe side but the HILTON also has only 4 cm (1.5 inches) of pedalway in total. So this seems to be a good way to go.

And I also made another recording to compare the fades . It turned out I was mainly confused by the long leeway of the FV-500H. The fades are fine - well maybe a bit rougher but that is neglectable, I will get used to it. The bumps are only in my head ;( .

So now I go and get some cork or rubber and fix the bug physically. I will have to buy a good wine because here in Germany most table wines have only screw-caps :D .

I can move my FV-500H more than 1 cm until anything happens.

Hmm - what should I do?

I made some measurements (Tip to Ring on the EXP jack of the FV-500H):
    6 cm (Heel down) 10,3 K
    5,5 cm - 10,3 K
    5,0 cm - 10,3 K
    4,5 cm - 10,1 K
    4,2 cm - 9,3 K
    4,0 cm - 8,4 K
    3,5 cm - 6,1 K
    3,0 cm - 4,6 K
    2,5 cm - 2,2 K
    2,0 cm - 0,6 K
    1,5 cm - 0,0 K
    1,0 cm - 0,0 K
    0,5 cm (toe down) - 0,0 K

This reads like I should send it back for another one, should I?

What I hope for is a possibility to controll more parameters with the control pedals, not just volume and wah-effects. I would like to control the ammount of echo / reverb, the gain, the middle and so on with the foot controller.

+1! :thumbup:

But the expression "Wah Wah" in the SETUP menue page 4/8 is a bit irritating. Already now it can do more than just Wah-Wah. For instance if you choose a "Wah-Pedal-Booster" in a stomp slot this allows you to control the gain with the "Wah Wah" pedal.

So now I tested it with a new Roland FV-500H. Mechanically it feels way much better but electronically the bump at the beginning of a swell is still there. I can also see it on the numbers in SYSTEM page 4/8 under VALUE: no metter how I set the minimum volume on the pedal (min vol only dials in a constant low level sound but doesn't cure the bump) the first 1 cm of the pedal way there is no reaction and then all of a sudden it jumps up to 300 or so.

Firmware is 1.1.0.7459.

Should I try a Flash Reset?