Posts by Gizmo

Welcome from another Canuck.
    While I too would love to see an editor, it's pretty straightforward to use the built in functions once you know where they are.

UR welcome….
    Cutting down the FCB was not difficult. The biggest challenge was making sure the cut line was accurate.
    Someone else on this site posted some good dimensions but unfortunately I can't remember who….a search might pull it up.
    Ken

Hi Paul.
    The stand I use is basically an adjustable stereo speaker stand. I replaced the top part of the stand with a plate that is about the same size as the KPA. It adjusts from about 18'" to 30" off the ground. It has a very heavy base. I use it in front of me when I use the 4 button switch, so I can see where I'm at. I don't have it set much above 2 feet off the ground, but it is quite stable at this height and I only use it where there is no chance of it being knocked over.
    When I don't use it for the KPA, it supports one of my stereo speakers….that's where it is right now.
    Ken

Hi Gizmo,
    I am looking for a stand for my toaster and wondered what you are using and if you could post a picture?
    Many thanks
    Paul

Gizmo, I like your modified FCB, how did you wire in the Roland EV5

I used the FCB switch outs.
    I connected them to the wires that went to the original pedals. I can now use both inputs for two pedals.
    I didn't spend a lot of time working out the best way, so right now I can only use pedals that have a TRS connector such as the EV5, which is just fine for me as I'm not a big user of expression pedals.
    Works well though. You can still calibrate the pedals using the original FCB procedure.

Here's my two solutions.

For gigs with plenty of room, I use my cut down FCB1010 and a separate pedal for vol/wah. FCB has Uno4K and is powered by a wall wart.

For small stages or just quick jams, I have a cheap Fender 4 button switch. It has a MIDI style connector that I connect a long midi cable to. At the other end is a mid cable with a socket at one end and two TRS plugs at the other that I can plug directly into my KPA.

The little bungie is something I made up. It hooks onto the strap lugs and I secure my Toaster to a small stand. Works great to keep it steady and harder to knock off.

[Blocked Image: http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/Gizmo1952/IMG_0481_zps1d190b1b.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/Gizmo1952/IMG_0482_zpsff05f728.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/Gizmo1952/IMG_0483_zps1268538f.jpg]

Ingolf says > If you cannot commit to a certain guitar for a given rig and rely on fancying what to use at the moment you will inevitably have to live with a possible result that you don't consider optimal considering the rig/guitar combination.

That's just what I want…just like when I play through an amp.

Perhaps what messes me up is the settings of the STOMPS chain.

I'm reasonably happy with the settings I have for ALL my guitars individually until I start enabling some stomps, in particular the GS, Clean Boost of Comp. they behave very differently on some guitars. Much more so than their analog counterparts.

I do understand how and why the senses settings work and I can set the for individual guitars to my satisfaction until the stomps become part of the equation.

But just one more question…Ingolf says leave DS "neutral", and viabcroce says leave it "flat"…….do you mean -12dB or 0dB

Anyway, I think I've beaten this to death a bit, thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to try the single input setting and see how that works.

Ingolfs tip is the best.
    Use Clean Sens that way.

Don't use Distorted Sens if you use multiple guitars.
    Better tweak the rig to fit the guitar it belongs to.

CK, I really don't have the capacity to "tweak" rigs on the fly in gigs., and honestly…I don't want to have a different rig for each guitar I use…Any gig I play, I can pick up one of at least three guitars depending on how I want the song to feel or which guitar takes my fancy at the moment. It takes enough brain power to remember to select the correct input preset.

So if you are saying that DS should stay constant for multiple guitars, what do you suggest that setting should be???

I'd really love to hear from other members who play live with multiple guitars…..how do you guys handle it, especially if you're flexible in which guitar you use with each rig. I can't believe I'm the only one who does that.

I love my KPA, but this is the one thing that's caused me the most headaches (and stress) over the last couple of years.

I'd only use distortion sense when I came to a gig, my guitar was broken and I was handed a spare guitar with much hotter or weaker pickups than the ones of my own guitar.
    Then I would adjust DS to make up for it.

Ingolf, that might be good if I only had one guitar, but I would never adjust input settings on stage…too much stress and opportunity for delay and mess-ups in a gig when the rest of the band is waiting for me. My brain would probably go into overload.

As I said in my first post, I always have several guitars with me, so I would never need to "borrow" one with an unknown level.

It kinda seems that the initial point has been lost, how to balance the input settings for multiple guitars that I have already got input presets for, so that I can play any guitar with any rig and get predictable results from the stomp chain.

Same here, never touch the CS or DS live.
    In fact once I'm playing, I rarely touch the KPA at all, other than for the input preset and maybe the reverb mix.
    My brain prefers it this way.

I never touch the cleanor distrotion sense live, it's not midi controllable and would just slow down the show. I set them so that my loudest guitar doesn't clip and do all my adjustments from that point for each bank. I do agree that rigs for every guitar is a bit overboard for most situations. At one point I used one set of rigs for everything and just kept a clean boost as an open option in Slot X for single coils. Wonder if that's when I stopped sleeping as well at night.....

Hi CK
    I tweak DS to balance the "apparent" volume differences with a clean rig with gain set at 0 and with the same rig with gain over about 5.
    My DS settings range from mostly -7 to -11, with a couple at about -5
    CS settings typically +1 to +3
    I'm a clean to low gain player. My gain setting rarely goes over 4 or 5 and is usually around 2 or 3

Why have you tweaked Distorted Sens?

Phew, some good info here guys. Plenty of food for thought and experimentation.

I'm definitely going to try using one input preset to see what that does. There is one guitar I tend to use the most live, so I'll try that one.

I've driven myself crazy adjusting both the CS and DS settings for each guitar I use so I'm a bit reluctant to go down that path again, but some of what I have heard in this thread suggests a slightly different approach which may be worthwhile.

I do use an FCB1010 with U4K. I have about 10 performances each with a different amp. Each performance has different settings for the amp.
    I play everything from blues, rockabilly, swing, surf etc While I don't use more than say..two or three performances in a gig, I pick them based upon what amp I want to play, so performance mode is the best for me.

I'll try again after my Saturday gig and report back here.

Gizmo

I like this idea….May not get to it before my next gig on Saturday, but I will definitely try it. It also has the benefit of not having to switch presets every time I change guitars…..plus anything for a simpler life on stage suites me just fine!

Another thought: you could treat your KPA like an amp head.

You could lower your clean sense to zero and pick a distortion sense, say +5 (or whatever you like) and then just leave it alone. The idea being this is more or less what an amp does: having a fixed gain at its input and reacting differently to each guitar. Your Strat has a lower output and sounds different than a hot rod Les Paul. And if set correctly your KPA should react the same (or almost the same) way. There are several guys on the Forum who use this methodology.

Of course this could really mess you up if you have super-tweaked your presets. Best of luck!

>I think he's already saving input presets, since he mentioned them.
    Yup, thanks guys, I currently have different presets for each of my guitars….about 10 or so.

>A simple solution: lower all your higher clean sense presets so that all the fx sound the same.
    Hmmm…interesting, I would have thought the distortion setting is the culprit…but this is worth trying.

+1
    My ASAT Special rules too!
    Some good prices used.

How much can you spend? In your position, NO QUESTION what I would buy... G&L...

If you aren't familiar with them do some research on them, and the you will quickly see why they are regarded often as Leo fenders best work since the Pre CBS stuff... There " cheaper" line is on par quality wise with MIA stuff... I personally have a 1987 ASAT special which is basically a tele with p90ish style pickups and it absolutely rules. It was the best sounding guitar I have picked up in years, and was almost a laughable experience comparing to a new MIA tele. While I love my American deluxe tele, the ASAT is special, and super gnarly and unique sounding, and built stronger than a bomb shelter. I'd be looking at anything G&L if I were you, just my opinion and experience :)... Hell forget MIA fender PERIOD after you pick up an ASAT, ESPECIALLY one made in the late 80s that were all set up by Leo :)

Hi all.

I've had my Kemper for nearly two years now. It took me a while to pluck up the courage to use it live, but just about a year ago I did, it was OK...not stellar, but OK.

I've used it live ever since (about 40 shows), often with mixed results. Sometimes really great and sometimes disappointing.

Problem is that I use 6 or 7 different guitars when I play live in two bands and I use just a few different Performances.

I have continually had to fight with the stomp settings and the input sense settings. Sometimes it works great, other times the volume increases and gain changes that happen when I use the stomps are so wildly out of what I though they were set at.

All rigs in my performances have the same stomps and FX settings. Comp->Green Scream->EQ->Chorus My FX slots are Pure Boost->Trem

It seems that I spend ages setting my input senses for each guitar but I find it impossible to make them all compatible with the stomp setups in each performance.

I'll pick up a different guitar, select the appropriate sense preset for that guitar and the stomp gains/volumes are SO different. I never had a problem like this with my amps and regular stomp boxes.

I know it must be my input sense settings. Each guitar I use has had plenty of attention to set them right to the best I know how, and they work great individually, no problem here. It's when I try to use a rig/performance that has been tuned for one guitar with a different guitar. It all goes to hell pretty quickly.

It seems to me that there's a very fine line, especially with distortion sense.

I really don't want to duplicate performances for different guitars...that would just be a nightmare. so does anyone have any good ideas how best to balance input settings for multiple guitars!

But when you change to the older username your favourites are back?
    Am I missing something?

All I know (now) is that if you change the author name on the KPA, your favorites (and ratings I think) disappear as they are tied to the author. The RM can do this to you if you are not careful.

I changed the RM name to be EXACTLY (including caps) the same as my author and went to a back up to get my favorites back on the KPA….didn't actually try and change the KPA author name back to the original one but it would be a good test.

During RM startup, if your names are different on RM and KPA, there should be an option to change either one, and at least warn you what could happen if there's a mismatch.

so KPA team and avid supporters... any thoughts on this question? It's been laying around for 3 or 4 days now..

So as an avid supporter and lonnnng term Mac user, I thought I gave you two reasonable thoughts :whistling: