Posts by lonestargtr

PSA:

My new Crank n Go Pack is now available. It's a collection of rock amps including: Friedman, Soldano, EVH, Bogner, Marshall, and Carvin. Most all of the rigs are also available in Studio and Merged formats. There are also a few Performances too.

Use coupon code THANKS2018 at checkout for 33% off any order from now through Cyber Monday too. If you can overlook my lame rock licks, you can check out the new tones:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving!

I typically only use the swapping stacks on rigs that I’ve already programmed to be song specific. I’ll name them the song and part (for example: Amazed Verse). So typically I’m in performance mode when swapping stacks so I don’t accidentally screw up an amp rig that’s in browser pool. I find the lock function gets me in trouble sometimes. I’ll want to change something and then it changes it for everything and then it’s a lot of work when I finally decide I don’t want to use the same reverb on all my patches or something.

Another thing I’ve done is save stomp and fx presets under song names. Then I can just browse rigs and then add those two groups of fx rather quickly to whichever rig I like for that song.

When I first started trying to incorporate my Kemper for live shows it was a few weeks of trial and error. I would tweak to monitors and then listen on headphones and have to totally redo all eq tweaks, then I would listen to my iems and have to undo all of those tweaks then I would play though a small pa speaker I would change it again. I finally gave up and rented a room at a local rehearsal studio and played through my Kemper from the mix position and listened to the pa. I found that I just turned off all the eq blocks and picked the rigs I liked.

I know not everyone has access to a flown line array for a few hours but what I did find is that my iems translate the best to what sounded good in the pa. I know not everyone can afford ultimate ears ue7’s but you just need to do some trial and error for a few weeks and then you should be good to go. Most headphones tend to overhype low end but if you eq it out of your rigs you will miss it once you go to a pa. If they sound a little midrange heavy and body then they’ll have more body and fullness in a pa typically. If they are crispy in headphones then you’ll most likely be neutering some listeners when turned up loud. If you can just bear with a couple weeks of transition to find what works on the systems you’re on you’ll come out just fine. I don’t use any eq blocks or drastic eq cuts or boosts anywhere. Most of my eq knobs stay around the noon position or maybe 1-2 leds above noon. It’s easy to overdo things and create more problems so find rigs you like and then make minor tweaks at first.

I have been having issues importing using rig manager too. Sometimes it lets me drag them right onto the Kemper and sometimes it won’t and then I have to drag them into local library and then copy and paste into a performance on the Kemper. I’m not sure why it works sometimes and not others.

Just a query on the new set: Were the cabs of these small combos (eg Princeton) used for the profiles or were the 3rd Power CS80 based cabs?

The 3P cab was used on these. Especially since I was going for rigs that could be switched seamlessly live, I needed the consistency on the cab side. I just haven’t found a way to switch between amps in a live situation using different cabinets. There’s just too much frequency shift to have to adjust to when switching. Plus, I may be a tad partial but every time I profile a different cab or even speaker I’m just not as happy with the results. I’m sure it’s a matter of personal taste too but in the end I only know how to make it sound good to me. Thanks!

Bought - a great pack as usual.

I particularly like the example performance profiles. I think others should do something similar..

Any chance of you doing a demo video of you using the performance packs you have built in context, it would be interesting to see how you use them.

That is a good idea on the demo video. I will try to do that. The only potential issue is on the song specific ones. They will get flagged for copyright infringement if I play the songs that I programmed the tones for. I’ll see what I can do though when I get back home. Thanks!

Mike, is there any danger of creating future overlap by buying this pack?

IOW, are any of those amps going to appear as separate packs at some point, thereby making at least some of these Profiles redundant?

There shouldn’t be any future overlap. I try not to repeat rigs. The only real overlap is the free Kemper rig pack because they pulled from my existing packs. Thanks!

Public Service Announcement: my new Grab n Go Pack is now available on mbritt.com

You can read more about it in my newest blog on my site and on the product information page but it’s basically a compilation of 92 new rigs from 13 different amps, mostly small combos. Plus 3 basic performances to cover most gigs from country to classic rock as well as 3 performances populated with song specific presets inspired by downtown Nashville’s Broadway music scene.

Amps that were profiled for this pack include:
    /13 EDT 13/29
    Matchless Spitfire
    68 Custom Deluxe Reverb
    Carr Lincoln
    Red Plate Tweedy Verb +
    Princeton Recording Amp
    Dr Z Maz 18 Jr
    Super Sonic Twin
    And more...

https://mbritt.com/product/grab-n-go-pack/

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thanks!
    Mike

Very true my brother, very true.

@lonestargtr - I'm loving your 800 series I just bought, don't feel any 'thin' sound at all. I'm sure many will make it into my performance lists, despite, or rather because of the 'hum' issues mentioned above in case you read any of that part of the thread. Since I've cured it, your profiles sound pure and silky and I am grateful and really rocking out to them.

Thank you for your expertise! I hope you've recovered from your surgery well. I have another Monday... (back). Cheers!

Appendix all healed. Thanks! Glad your hum is cured! Rock on!

I'd definitely like to check them out and see how I sound on them. I can't seem to find where to purchase them. I like the video clips of them that I've seen. He may just have a different way of mic'ing the cab that yields more dynamics or something. I'm curious now. thanks!

Mike

I just found this thread and been trying to catch up and read everything. I'll be happy to put in my 2 cents for what it's worth. First of all, I'm not offended when people don't "like" my profiles. There are lot of profiles that I've made and others that I've gotten that I don't "like" for my purposes. It's just a matter of taste and I'm super picky too, so I get it. I try to use phrases like "these didn't work for me" as opposed to "these are crap" because I know I'm not the uber-end-all for what good tone is. I just know what I like and what works for my in my situation. But I've always had the habit of making qualified statements as opposed to forceful ones, which makes me sound wishy-washy, while strong opinions get more response.

Tone is 98% personal taste, which is why I strongly recommend to everyone who writes or comments to get my free Kemper rig pack or my free sample pack to try before spending any hard-earned money. There are so many free profiles from the Rig Exchange and all of the commercial sellers and I think a new Kemper user should try them all out before spending money and potentially being disappointed. There are so many factors that go into a successful Kemper setup and it's impossible for me or any other seller to make a one-size-fits-all solution. Everything makes a difference in the final tonal result: pickup tone, pickup output, headphones, studio monitors, FRFR cabs, guitar cabs, settings, finger attack, etc. All I can do is make it sound good to me using my setup (mainly iem's or FRFR) and my guitars. Take advantage of the freebies from everyone to see which ones line up with your sense of what sounds good on your system of monitoring with your guitars.

As far as my profiles compared to the one in the video a few posts up. Mine have less treble overall than the one in the video clip. At lower volumes, this may translate to "dull" or "lifeless". Luckily, this can be adjusted by the olde treble knob. The Kemper in the video clearly has about 6-8db boosted on treble. I can't see the other knobs as well, so that profile has already been tweaked to the player's personal taste. For my personal taste, while it sounds good on the video, I feel like if I were to use that tone live my ears would get a bit fatigued from that much high end and I never want to run the risk of sterilizing the audience with that much high end. As volume increases, high frequencies are more efficient and become perceptively louder. With my profiles, at lower volumes I'll turn up the presence and treble a bit while I always end up backing them back to where they were at full stage volume.

This is all just personal taste, and my preferred sounds and settings may not work for everyone. But when I profile I try to make a balanced profile and not over-eq things too much on my end so that it leaves the most room to tweak up and down for the end user. And I do try to keep my fx minimal and the reverb set to lower settings so the amp sound isn't covered up by fx, but again, personal taste in fx and those things is not universal.

Now, without actually hearing what the OP is hearing on his system, it's hard to really make recommendations. For starters I'd say turn up the treble and presence to make it sound more "lively". My profiles are seldom described as "thin", which I usually think to mean that they're too bright and not enough bottom. Mine profiles are typically mid-heavy which can be described as "boxy" or "thick" at certain volume levels. If that's the case, a little dip around 400-500hz usually clears a bit of that up. If you need more "bite" on top, I'd start around 2-3Khz and just add a couple db. If there's too much low end, just turn down the bass knob. I don't use PureCab most of the time and I never use Space. My sensitivity settings are set to 0, and I seldom alter the Rig Volume from 0.0. If I need to level volumes between rigs I use the volume parameter in the Amp block. I might add 1-2db on the Rig Volume if it's a big solo rig.

Not sure if I'm helped or hijacked the thread but just wanted to chime in. If any customers ever need to reach me directly you can email me at my site mbritt.com. Thanks!

There shouldn’t be any major level differences but if they need to be adjusted I usually just go to the amp parameters on page 3 and adjust that level, usually no more than 1-2db up or down.