Posts by spk77

I have to cut some fizzy/whistling frequencies (before Kemper return)...that's why my profiles might be a little dark sounding.

The profiles in post 46 (for example) might need a little bit treble and presence. (Treble/presence knobs on Kemper works very well on these profiles)

Thanks for all your work on the Ultras and the one on the Lead channel, and for sharing!

I've heard the GM40 is a bit smoother than the GM36 but haven't seen one in person. Any experience with this newer model?

I ordered new tubes for my GM36 - I hope they will smooth the highs at least a little bit :) .

Preamp tubes:

Power amp tubes:

Here's a new profile:

• Engl E530 to GM36 lead channel (activate X slot to apply the studio eq)

Download: SPK E530 060517.zip

Here's a little microphone frequency response test. (Blue area = sm57)

T.Bone mb-75 vs sm57. The mb-75 has a 6dB boost at the "problem area" 4000-7000 Hz.

Sennheiser e906 (hi-cut) vs sm57

Sennheiser e906 (flat) vs sm57

Sennheiser e906 (hi-boost) vs sm57

Thanks for the profiles!

That fizz killing technique looks interesting, is the second mic quite a bit louder than the close mic?

Hmmm...I'm not sure - that's not my video :)

Another fizz killing test..I tried using an EQ in the signal path to remove some high frequencies:

The new profiles are in this zip file: SPK77 GM36 29042017.zip

• SPK77 GM36 290417 test1 (no eq) - 2017-04-29 14-27-40.kipr

• signal path: mb-75 -> Scarlett 18i20 -> Kemper return input
    • SPK77 GM36 290417 test2 (eq) - 2017-04-29 14-29-23.kipr

• signal path: mb-75 -> Scarlett 18i20 -> REAPER (TDR nova) -> Kemper return input

EDIT: added 3 more

• SPK77 GM36 290417 test3 (no eq) - 2017-04-29 20-01-46.kipr

• signal path: sm57 -> Scarlett 18i20 -> Kemper return input
    • SPK77 GM36 290417 test4 (eq) - 2017-04-29 20-01-46.kipr

• signal path: sm57 -> Scarlett 18i20 -> REAPER (TDR nova) -> Kemper return input
    • SPK77 GM36 290417 test5 (eq) - 2017-04-29 20-01-46.kipr

• signal path: sm57 -> Scarlett 18i20 -> REAPER (TDR nova) -> Kemper return input

Here's a new soundclip:

• rhythm guitar L: SPK77 GM36 290417 test5 (eq) - 2017-04-29 20-01-46.kipr
    • rhythm guitar R: SPK77 GM36 290417 test4 (eq) - 2017-04-29 20-01-46.kipr
    • lead guitar L: SPK77 GM36 290417 test4 (eq) - 2017-04-29 20-01-46.kipr
    • lead guitar R: SPK77 GM36 290417 test4 (eq) - 2017-04-29 20-01-46.kipr (neck pickup)

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

TDR Nova is a freeware plugin - http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/

These are the actual settings I used in the test2:

Another clip - (Drums were accidentally low passed in clip 1...):

There's just a limiter in the master channel - guitar tracks are not EQ'd. These profiles are quite dark sounding )

Recorded with REAPER 5
    Rhythm guitar left: SPK77 GM36 Ultra 9
    Rhythm guitar right: SPK77 GM36 Ultra 12
    Lead guitars: SPK77 GM36 Ultra 9
    Bass: freeware (Necromare Electric Bass) http://bigcatinstruments.blogs…16/03/necromare-vsts.html
    Drums: SSD 4

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'm going to try to make some brighter profiles soon.
    I didn't know that the noise gate is rig specific - I have to update the zip file and set the noise gate to zero for each profile.

Soundclip: (There's just a limiter in the master channel - guitar tracks are not EQ'd. These profiles are quite dark sounding :) )

Recorded with REAPER 5
    Bass: freeware (Necromare Electric Bass) http://bigcatinstruments.blogs…16/03/necromare-vsts.html

Thanks everyone! Yes, the download link will always be in the first post.

I didn't end up keeping any from the original upload but the new one is really, really good. Well done!

Thanks! This time I set the power soak to 1 watt and turned the master volume to 7.5/10 (usually it has been about 2/10).

(amp/overdrive settings are here):

Profiled also, it'd a nice sounding amp, as always kemper profile sounds more tight than profiled amp, but IMO HK is nice. @spk77 single profile with "fizz killing" mic pos can sounds good but... in the mix when you ude quadtracked guitars you can realize some problems with phase... Just My 2 cents.

Stay Metal!

Thanks for the comment sinmix!
    I have to say that I don't know very much about mixing :)

Updated 17.4.2017: added two high gain profiles

• SPK77 GM36 Ultra 10
    • SPK77 GM36 Ultra 11

(I tested this fizz-killing trick by Fear Complex Music):

External Content www.youtube.com

How accurate are these? Because I profiled the same amp.. and it's way off on the low end, mids feel weird. As per the big thread going on: "congestion". Are you able to avoid this effect? If so, how?

I have that gating/compression problem - sometimes it's very obvious, sometimes it's not so noticeable.
    I'm in the same room with the cabinet - it's really difficult to hear how accurate these are while doing the refining process...

I'm just a hobbyist -> no control rooms etc. :)

More testing...
    12 profiles from H&K GrandMeister 36 Ultra channel and 2 profiles from clean channel. Tip: Try to activate the Studio EQ in X-slot -> adjust "Mid2 Gain" to taste

Download: SPK77 GrandMeister 36.zip

Soundclip: (There's just a limiter in the master channel - guitar tracks are not EQ'd. These profiles are quite dark sounding )

Recorded with REAPER 5

(see post #52 for profiles in this soundclip)

(see H&K GrandMeister 36 (Engl pro 4x12 slanted))

Updated 22.4.2017: added 1 profile from ultra channel

Updated 20.4.2017: added two profiles from clean channel

• SPK77 GM36 Clean 1
    • SPK77 GM36 Clean 2 (profiled with exactly same settings as "SPK77 GM36 Clean 1", but this time Kemper decided that it's a distorted profile)

Updated 17.4.2017: added two high gain profiles

• SPK77 GM36 Ultra 10
    • SPK77 GM36 Ultra 11

(I tested this fizz-killing trick by Fear Complex Music):

External Content www.youtube.com

Updated: added two profiles