Posts by eljodon

@eljodon Did you ever get round to making all these profiles?

I'm sorry, I haven't I've done some, but I know I can make them better since I'm still learning. I've just been spending a lot of time trying to get the Kemper to work with my Axe Fx 2 which I'm using for effects with the MFC101 as a MIDI controller. I just can't figure out how to send CC# and PC# to the Kemper so I can switch between amps within one patch. I got it to work to switch programs, but I need to be able to change amps because I usually use 2 amps per patch one for clean and the other one for dirt and lead. I also want to be able to increase the gain on the amp for my lead patch. Axe Fx 2 does that very well, were you have Scenes which I use 4 to 5 per song. I'm going nuts trying to find info, but none it has been helpful!!

maybe a second midifootswitch which only switches the kemper rigs
    as midi mouse

Thanks for your response. I was thinking about doing that, but it defeats the purpose of instant switching and I'm not a good tap dancer! I can't even get the Kemper to switch slots with CC's even when I only plug the MFC101 in non Axe Fx mode directly into the MIDI in Kemper. Unless I need to plug both in and out MIDI cables? It has to be something stupid that I'm missing! It always is! LOL!

I've been trying to find a way to use the Fractal MFC101 with Axe Fx 2 and the Kemper. I'm loving the way it sounds with the Kempe which I use as the amp plugged into the Axe Fx 2 Effects Loop. I would like to use the Kemper in performance mode so I can switch the slots using Axe Fx 2 Scenes. Reading the Kemper manual, it says that you can change slots using CC's, but the slots are changing with PC changes. I plug the MFC101 MIDI out using a 7 pin MIDI cable into the Axe Fx 2 MIDI then the MIDI out of the Axe Fx 2 to the Kemper's MIDI in(activating MIDI thru in Axe Fx 2)
    The only way that I can make it work now is if I use 4 to 5 presets per song, but I can't find the way to make the MFC101 transmit bank changes, so I'm limited with only 127 presets with the Kemper. That's not enough presets for my band! I use at least 4 different tones per song and some of them I switch between 2 amps.
    I've looked around for info and read most of the info I could find, but it's still not clear to me how is done.
    I'm eager to use my new Kemper Live, but there's many cool effects that I do with with the MFC101 and the Axe Fx 2 because they work together seamlessly, but All I want to do with the Kemper is switch amps within a preset. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

welcome! always good to hear from people who know both axe and kemper that the tone of the kpa is so much better. i never had the chance to try out both or even A/B them.

With the Kemper, it's easier to dial in a tone. The Axe Fx 2 can get muddy at times. With the Kemper the Marshall tones sound more realistic to my ears than the Axe Fx 2. Many of the profiles that I bought are perfect for a good starting point. The only issue is that some profiles are not so good, so you have to go through the ones that work for you unless you own the actual amp and you can profile it yourself. I'm using a Mesa 2 90 as a power amp. It sounds good in my studio but I have to see how it sounds cranked up. A solid state amp it's supposed to be preferable from what I read. But I never liked the Axe Fx 2 with an SS amp or using IR's. The Kemper sounds great through my studio speakers(Dynaudio BM 6a and BM 9s sub), but I don't know if I'll us FRFR, I'm so used to having couple Marshall's 4 x 12 behind me from 30 years!

That's the setup I have. I run the KPA into the loop of the Axe II.

How do you change amps in the Kemper using Scenes? In the band that I'm playing with we do a 70's, 80's and 90's set and I do a lot of scene changes on many of the songs we do. I use at least 2 amps per song switching between a clean tone, rhythm tone and lead. I also boost my levels 1 db for the chorus and 2 db for the leads. I want to use the Kemper for just the amps and some of the pedals and the Axe FX 2 for the effects. I'm using the Fractal MFC 101. I was able to change the programs in the Kemper, but once I can change the amps in the Kemper using scenes I can start using it live. The Kemper gives me more clarity than the Axe Fx 2 and it's easier to get the sounds I want so I'm anxious to use it live.

Are you aware that there are short manuals for each main operational way? Visit the main site and download what fits your needs :)

Thank you for your response. Yes I'm aware of it, and I downloaded every one I believe. I just can't find how to change the MIDI channel on the KPA. It tells you were it is but I don't see it.

Thanks! I've been really liking what I hear. The Kemper feels more like the real amp while the Axe Fx 2 sounds like a good close imitation.I'm just having trouble understanding the performance mode. I was successful in plugging both, but it will take time to use live until the system works seamlessly. I'm very anxious to make it work!

I m using the MFC as main controller (MFC to AXE XL FASLINK and from AXE XL Midi out to KPA Midi IN) but the assigned Rig in KPA don t switch consistently,they skip very often and if u press two times the program on the MFC in some RIGS of the KPA it recalls its stomps.... anyone with the same issue?thanx

I'm having the same issue.Although I haven't really worked on the MIDI side that much, I can seem to find were do I change the MIDI channel on the Kemper. I go to the system menu but I can't see it. One thing I like better about the Fractal stuff is that their manuals are much better than the Kemper! I'm liking the Kemper amps more than the Axe Fx 2, but when I first go it I was able to figure it out much quicker than the Kemper. The Kemper's manual is very vague and it doesn't give you as much details.

[quote='eljodon','https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/28873-Issues-with-profiling-a-non-master-Plexi/?postID=308175#post308175']Here's my setup.[/quote!]

That is a seriously nice amp collection

Thanks, kept buying and selling amps for a long time! Now I wish I would've kept them to profile them! But I kept the ones that I used the most. I like them all, but my favorite one is the Metro/Friedman and the Suhr PT100.

Those clips sound fantastic.... I can tell where this thread is going already....haha!

Thanks! I used the Metropoulus 68' 12,000 series that Dave Friedman modded to sound like the Metro/Friedman Plexi which is no longer made. It has a built in variac that drops the volts down to 90v, but I used a voltage regulator to drop the amp down to 80 volts. It sounds close to VH but not perfect. I'm trying to profile that tone into the Kemper. I think the tone is close to VH2 or Women and Children First.

Wow :) you've got lots of love for the marshall !

I hope you'll take as many direct profiles as possible ! if you ever merge them with you own cab profile the result might be really surprising in terms of 'lifeness', and may also solve the cleaning issue

But I guess the studio profiles are great with all the signal chain & speaker options you described

Yeah, I love Marshalls, but I also love high gain amps! I trying to experiment while working in my studio which is what I do for a living. Once I'm happy with the profiles, I'll post them and hopefully some people will like them. I love Scumback speakers and I don't see may of them here.

[quote='eljodon','https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/28873-Issues-with-profiling-a-non-master-Plexi/?postID=308039#post308039']an SSL Eq's compressors

sounds great, but please be aware that it is recommended to profile setups without any additional compression.

from the Profiling Guide:
    "Other effects should be bypassed during the Profiling process because they will adversely affect the result, making
    it sound less natural, and different to the original amp tone. These include: compressors, noise gates, and
    time/modulation/reverb effects such as delay, reverb, chorus, and so on."

Yes I'm aware of it, thanks for pointing it out. Everything is set on flat with no compression. I do use the eq just for carving out certain frequencies depending on what tone I'm going for. I know I could use the eq from the KPA later on, but I like the SSL eq better because it's more flexible.

Here's another one

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thanks I love the sound of those Metro 12000 series amazing amps. Have you ever tried dialing/profiling everything on 10 with the plexi ala Van Halen and the voltage dropped to 80 or 90?

Yes I have! I use the build in "Variac" and also a voltage regulator which can gives you different tones between 70 to 90 volts.It was modded by Dave Freidman to sounds like the Metro/Freiedman they released some years ago with 6ca7 tubes Here is a VH track I did with the last year.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.